Gaki usefulness outside of Kirai

Stavros

I received a Kirai box as a gift, and I am deciding what I need to play her.

However I had no particular plan to play her even though I own a few other resser masters. As she can summon Gaki, I think I would need a box, but before I go out and spend money on them, will I use them with other Resser masters? I don't hear much about them (or Kirai) from other players.

I don't have Gaki and neither do any of the ressur players i know. She can summon a lot of things, not just Gaki and so models like The Hanged, The Drowned, Shikome etc might interest you more if you aren't keen on Gaki.

My understanding is that Gaki work well in numbers surrounding your master, so Yan Lo, McMourning, Molly and Kirai seem the obvious choices to use them with, though their ability to generate corpse markers will no doubt help Reva. It seems to me they are designed to be used either by hiring all 3 of them or by summoning multiple. Datsu Bae can summon them as well, so if you do get Gaki consider picking up that model as well.

Gaki can be great. They are capable of producing corpse markers, which can be useful for your crew as a whole, and their trigger to let a second Gaki to make an attack will also allow that Gaki to trigger it. I have had 2 gaki kill a fully healthy Warpig in just 1 AP. 

Their problem is that they are a cheap combat based model, which means that they die fairly easily. As such they rarely seem to last long. 

Most of the time you should think of them as byproducts of Kirai & Datsue Ba's attack triggers. Free models are great when they come attached to your attack actions. It's a huge tempo swing when you remove 2 of their AP and add 2 of your own to the mix. Sadly, Gaki are not nearly as impressive when you're directly summoning them since this requires the same 1 AP and potential stoning for the :crowthat something more worthwhile (Shikome/Hanged etc) wants from your Master.

However, if you do already happen to have a Gaki (or multiple) in play, then it's fair to say they are slightly more attractive as summon options since their attack triggers work in tandem with other friendly Gaki. If you incidentally summon 1 of them while killing something, then Molly or Kirai should feel a bit more inclined to directly summon another, especially if you have the suits to secure those free attack triggers.

If you're up against important Ht 1 models (Ophelia!) or if you've Paralysed any of their important models, Gaki do also have the option of outright killing them with their Swallow Whole attack. If Molly or Kirai have a high card of the right suit for that attack and a mid card for summoning the Gaki, it's ridiculously entertaining to eat their master in one duel.

If you're playing Kirai and/or Datsue Ba, you definitely want to have them available. Hitting that trigger so summon a free Gaki when you don't own their models absolutely sucks.

On 16/12/2016 at 4:50 AM, hydranixx said:

If you're up against important Ht 1 models (Ophelia!) or if you've Paralysed any of their important models, Gaki do also have the option of outright killing them with their Swallow Whole attack. If Molly or Kirai have a high card of the right suit for that attack and a mid card for summoning the Gaki, it's ridiculously entertaining to eat their master in one duel.

As lovely as it would be, Gaki can not target leaders with Swallow whole, unfortunately.

Great for eating master wannabes such as Francoix, however.

I've always wanted to run a squad of Gaki and some master like Yan Lo or Kirai to enhance their abilities. However, they're just too squishy and unreliable. We just have more powerful and solid minions. As others have stated, they're merely an afterthought and mostly just spawned via Kirai or Datsue ba triggers. Much like with McMourning, trading one of their models for one of yours is a huge advantage. 

I personally only have two based and painted. I've only needed that many. However, getting the box isn't terrible... just I would prioritize models like The Hanged and Shikome over Gaki when using Kirai due to the fact they are incredible summons. If you have your best Kirai summons, nab the Gaki next. 

• 2 weeks later...