Am I the only one?

Bambot.s.

5 minutes ago, Bambot.s. said:

Am I the only one concerned about the fact that you need to own every faction of the game in order to play it?

Watch the "gameplay" video if you don't understand the problem.

are you talking about the two commander thing?

What I understood from that is that they have more commanders planned for each allegiance, but for the purposes of the kickstarter, they're only announcing the "starter packs". There have been a lot of models announced and mentioned that are not in any box yet. Calm down, mate.

2 minutes ago, Bambot.s. said:

No. The video says:"at the start of the game both players secretly determine their allegiance".

To me is an enormous mistake, especially under a competitive point of view.

I'm very sorry because I was and still I am very hyped about the models.

Compare that to Malifaux, where players, as one of the ways to achieve simultaneously announcing faction, write down their chosen faction on a piece of paper and then reveal their choices before hiring crews.

In other words, in Malifaux both players -also- secretly determine their faction.  Yet players manage to avoid buying all seven factions (or even all four in 1st edition).

• Like 3

That if you have more factions/allegiances you have more options and thus an unfair advantage. Which doesn't really make sense to me either. 

It's also possible the person is not a native english speaker and misunderstood what "secretly" means, in the sense of "blindly", where players don't know what allegiance they will have and thus must have all of them in order to play. Thats really the only way I can see how they might be upset.

@Joel it's extremely likely. I really don't understand what the fuzz is about really. 

All miniature wargames I have played more or less state, 'you can play everything' but to me this never translated into 'you need everything to play'.

Malifaux being the prime example, I could get more factions but I'm very happy with one. For me it's the look and gameplay that matter, not the thousand options that a game have to offer.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Lalochezia said:

Is anyone else concerned they'll end up buying all the factions anyway?

Nearly. I'm pretty sure I've gone from buying just 1 to 2 now with everything they've announced. Luckily for me (?) I don't really like the aesthetic of the Empire (that sort of thing in any game) so I'll likely never do that. Going to have to make some big WP flips to not get the others.. lets see how many :-fate Wyrd can stack onto there. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Lalochezia said:

Not concerned! If the game is as good as I hope it to be it's a logical consequence of playing a really good game.

What I'm still most excited about is how the 'Schemes' work out in this game. It's very important to me because for me that's the main selling point of Malifaux and general Wyrd games.

I obviously love combat but having a logical reason for combat is the next level stuff Wyrd has been presenting us so far.

6 hours ago, Lalochezia said:

Yeah. I am getting the Cult through the Kickstarter. When it's released, I'll probably get one of the human factions so I can demo (slight favor to Abyssinia, though I am still intrigued about some of the King's Empire's mechanics).

And while I'll probably not get the dual commander due to cost, I'll pick him up from my LGS. And of course, it'd be silly to not get a few squads for him to play with. And once I have those, it will only be a matter of time before I figure, I might as well start playing the faction. And I'm sure by then, I will figure might as well get X as well until I get them all.

It will be slower than be getting all the Factions in Malifaux due to price, but I'm sure I'll get there eventually.

Am I the only person failing to see the concern here?

Having more units may give you an advantage - but some of the best Malifaux players only run small lists at a tournament and are very, very good at a handful of units. 

Malifaux - having more masters in a faction does have some advantages.  I expect this will be the same.  No need to have other allegiances unless you want to...well....play with different armies.  Otherwise I expect different commanders in one allegiance will have different styles and aspects, much like Malifaux does now, or WM, or any other hero-based game.

I don't see any difference to Malifaux here.