Markers for "special" conditions

Beta

Hi there,

I hope this is the right place for my "problem".

We all know there are lots of conditions and such ti track in Malifaux. For things like Burning, Focus, etc. I've got the tokens from customeeple and I'm very happy with them.
Now the problem: Special conditions (El Mayor, Hold this!, etc.)
For the moment I'm writing them directly on the cards, but I'm not very happy with this solution. It's a bit messy and I tend to forget things if I don't have a marker the model (there is so much text on certain cards...you can easily overlook something you scribbled on there).
Some people suggest using dices, but the problem is you (and your opponent) may get confused what that little dice you've put down last turn actually means.
My idea was to make custom tokens (lasercut MDF), but it turned out to be very expensive for the amount of tokens I would need. So my only other option would be making blank acrylic tokens and writing the condition on there when needed. This would mean less tokens, but it wouldn't be that "clean" (I really like clean, organized stuff...)

How do you handle these conditions? Any suggestions I've overseen?

I use simple "poker" chips. There is no print on them (they're basically just rounded off pieces of plastic) and write on them with a dry erase marker.
This works really well for me - and usually there is only about two or three of those in play, so it's not that untidy. One of my regular opponents has just printed out small markers on paper and uses those.