godswearhats' Beginner's Guide to Ressers

godswearhats

Great write up it is a good balance that strikes fear on the table but not on the wallet. I was lucky to purchase a large lot of Resser models on ebay for a reasonable price but even then going in to the local store and grab a few things i figured I wanted really added up. That intimidation can lead to decision paralysis so having a guide like this I think will really help many players dive in to characters or models they like in the "easiest yet still effective" way.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Awesome job done. Few ideas caught my mind here, mainly in kirai department. I tried to play her with traditional summoning engine list and had little succes so ill gladly try out this list. Also Kirai with anna and hannah looks nice, but i cant really imagine a list using both, plus izamu, datsue ba, lost love and some upgrades and i have almoust SS used. Maybe drop datsue?

• 2 weeks later...

This article is fantastic! Some really comprehensive, useful advice there. It's very clear that you have devoted an awful lot of time to thinking this out and articulating your thoughts. 

Might I suggest that you review your Tara section, though?

I'm not sure that your Tara list adds up correctly. You have proposed a 50ss Tara list, with a Soulstone cache of 7.

By my reckoning your list total leaves a Soulstone cache of 9 (too many).

Your description of the list seems to indicate that Anna Lovelace is present instead of the Rotten Belle that you have stated. By making these changes, your list will have a cache of 5 Soulstones.

Additionally, I think that you should list Guild Autopsies, The Drowned and Punk Zombies (and maybe Death Marshals) as summoning options for the Tara list (for Karina's 'Faces Of Oblivion' upgrade).

• 4 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...
On 12/14/2016 at 12:10 AM, godswearhats said:

Introduction

Resurrectionists...

Just read your post you are not playing anymore :D. Maybe someone else can chime in.

First off, thank you very much.

As a new player this is very informative.

What do you think about Nurse now that they are 6ss?
As a beginner they still seem very useful, being able to both heal your own stuff as well as shutting down key opponents?

I have only played 3-4 games but decided to invest in this game.

Here is what I own:
Reva Box
McMourning Box
Nicodem Box
Seamus Box

Flesh Construct
Canine Remains
Carrion Effigy
Mindless Zombies
Carrion Emissary
Rafkin
Yin

There still seems to some extras I'm missing in terms of getting all key pieces to play with?
When it comes to competitive play, are there any must-haves that I'm missing?

I read some of your example lists, will go through the rest at some point.

Looking to build core 30-40ish SS for each Master that I can then complete after knowing the schemes. I wish to learn this part of the game as well so I should probably already start doing that.

On 16/02/2018 at 5:24 PM, FunWithKnives said:

Experience. 

Funny, and sort of true, but also not true. You should feel happy to enter tournements when you feel happy with it. I've been at events where I have happily talked my opponents through what their crew does because they are new, and its been a day for them to get several games against different people, which is a fine reason to enter a tournement

I honestly don't think any faction has "must haves" to be competitive.  It might be easier to score some schemes if you have access to Necropunks for example, but you can win big events as a resser without owning any (if you're good enough).

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Adran said:

Funny, and sort of true, but also not true. You should feel happy to enter tournements when you feel happy with it. I've been at events where I have happily talked my opponents through what their crew does because they are new, and its been a day for them to get several games against different people, which is a fine reason to enter a tournement

For me tournements look super scary. I've never been. I have confidence in my abilities to pilot my crews but we (as in our group of players) are waaaay to slow for tournementplay (about 3,5-4h per 50SS Game). Also after one of those games i feel tired as hell. It's very exhausting to think about all the moving parts of your opponents and your own crew. I'm totaly beat after a game usually. If i would go to a tourney i would expect not to finish a turn 5 in any of my games and perform ok in (maybe) the first two games and completely enter zombiemode in the rest of them. I dont think my opponents would like that much :-D 

1 minute ago, Daysleeper said:

I have confidence in my abilities to pilot my crews but we (as in our group of players) are waaaay to slow for tournementplay (about 3,5-4h per 50SS Game).

I don't expect people to finish games in their very first tournament, but I expect them to make an effort. Consider playing a fixed list and/or simple list to get into the rhythm of 2h gameplay. Instead of say Kirai crew with a bunch of auras and "do I summon X or Y or do Z instead?" decisions, maybe just play a Seamus + Belles list. Or play that Kirai list and only that Kirai list, particularly if it's what you're comfortable with. You want to have "autopilot" to fall back on if you get tournament fatigue..

Maybe try a few home games with a timer and see how far you guys get. And bear in mind it takes conscious effort. My 'casual' games usually take 3-ish hours, my tournament games take 2-ish hours. I play them with a different mindset.

33 minutes ago, Daysleeper said:

For me tournements look super scary. I've never been. I have confidence in my abilities to pilot my crews but we (as in our group of players) are waaaay to slow for tournementplay (about 3,5-4h per 50SS Game). Also after one of those games i feel tired as hell. It's very exhausting to think about all the moving parts of your opponents and your own crew. I'm totaly beat after a game usually. If i would go to a tourney i would expect not to finish a turn 5 in any of my games and perform ok in (maybe) the first two games and completely enter zombiemode in the rest of them. I dont think my opponents would like that much :-D 

For you it sounds like a tournament is not the place to go, and that's fair enough. I find them a great place to play different people and get multiple games in 1 day,  I will admit that by game 4 on a day I'm often feeling mentally tired. I just normally rely on my opponent being tireder and making more mistakes than me(;)).

I am saying people shouldn't be afraid to enter because they think they are not good enough, or too slow. - but not wanting to play that many games in a day is a pretty good reason to give them a miss

4 hours ago, Adran said:

I've been at events where I have happily talked my opponents through what their crew does because they are new, and its been a day for them to get several games against different people, which is a fine reason to enter a tournement

What end of the country do you play in? If you're down south I might need to book up for the next tournie you're going to!

1 hour ago, Daysleeper said:

Honestly, the worse I'm playing the more fun I tend to have later in the day.  Because of the tournament structure (winners play winners etc.), once you've lost your first game or two, you're down in the cheap seats with the people having fun and goofing around.  Case in point from my last tournament, I went 3-1.  I squeeked out some tight victories in rounds 1 and 2, then got stomped in round 3 (played the schemes wrong, oops).  Round 4 was just giggling and throwing models around at that point, neither of us were worried about winning really since we weren't going to place.

As to the very slow games, there's something to be said for the environment.  When I'm playing with friends we're often really slow (3 hours or so) because we side track into funny stories, talk to people who walk in late, etc.  When you know you've got a game to play and you've got to get it done, even if you agonize over the details a bit it's still going to be faster.

• Like 2

Don't worry too much about tournaments. In recent Bonescon tournament, quite a lot of tables ended on turn 3 conssitently, because of the time limit. So if you normally finish a game in 3.5 hours, you're gonna be fine'ish. you just need to adjust your thinking slightly, realizing that there's only gonna be 3 turns 

• mattc unpinned this topic