December 12th - TOS Kickstarter Intro

Lucidicide

Excited!

It's looking more and more like Mantic's Warpath, which should be delivering any day now, what with the multi based units but with that lovely malifaux game play twist. 

A 28-32mm mass battle game on the scale of Warhammer but without having individual models per squad is something I've wanted for a long time.

I thought warpath was gonna scratch that itch but Mantic haven't been particularly great a company to deal with...

Wyrd on the other hand... they've never stirred me wrong so far! I'm gonna keep my eye out. 

Syc

• Like 2

@sycorax You know what I like the most about all of this and generally Wyrd's approach? 

It's next level, with that I mean it's making choices others could have made a long time ago, so far all the parts of The Other Side seem to be made of win.
From pre-made models, units with build in movement trays, from numbers big to small and allowances for deep interactions with reasonable survivability.

All I can really hope for is that the Guild shows up soon aswell ;)

• Like 1

@JDAntoine

Exactly! A lot of the elements here have been done before in other games but not all at once on this scale. Warpath went some of the way in 28mm, but looks like its going to fall short in my small opinion due to it being to close other games rules wise. Epic and many other historical games in 6mm, but 6mm can be a pain to work with, sure they give you massive armies but no scope for detailed sculpting and painting beyond the largest war machines. 

At its core, TOS combines all of that and improves it as far as I can tell from the info so far, with the added bonus of coming from a pedigree of one of the tightest and most unique rulesets I've come across in my 20 years of hobby. 

Syc

• Like 1

Am only just venturing into Malifaux so have been lurking in the background as news and review shots were released etc....as soon as I saw the table set up I just went "Wow !"...hit the pause button...rewind....show to girlfriend who stopped working to go "Wow !"...the sculpts look fantastic and think it safe to say the video definitely works :)

This looks fantastic!  So, appx. 45 models in an army but with most of those being on movement trays that's only about 15 things you have to move around.  I'm loving the movement tray idea so far :D I'm assuming from the Kings Empire / Abyssinia shared model in the video that models are going to be split Earth and Malifaux-side?  I'm very curious if that's the case what sort of things the Hordes and Cult feel like sharing with each other.

21 minutes ago, retnab said:

This looks fantastic!  So, appx. 45 models in an army but with most of those being on movement trays that's only about 15 things you have to move around.  I'm loving the movement tray idea so far :D I'm assuming from the Kings Empire / Abyssinia shared model in the video that models are going to be split Earth and Malifaux-side?  I'm very curious if that's the case what sort of things the Hordes and Cult feel like sharing with each other.

Good catch on the shared model, I missed that at first watch.

I noticed that there was a duel faction model in the video.

Intriguing.

As well it seems like when you purchase a unit it gives you a specific amount of squads, meaning that you will not be able to purchase small amounts of weak squads in order to fill up your ranks or requirements.

2 hours ago, Pyrflamme said:

Still cool!

Though one request - even though Google's automatic captioning is getting better, would it cost too much time to add captioning to the videos by yourselves? Sincere question since I don't know how much effort these sort of things take.

...wait, what? What automatic captioning where? :huh: I've been avoiding the video due to missing headphones....

Slow down the video enough and you can see that the duel-faction girl has some unreadable text underneath the fireteam text. Also, she has something in the bottom left corner just like charles edmonton and the other commanders we have seen. She may be a commander. It seems like champions with plug bases will simply be elite units, while one's with solid bases will be commanders. Which may mean the frenzy was a commander. Huh

45 minutes ago, Gnomezilla said:

...wait, what? What automatic captioning where? :huh: I've been avoiding the video due to missing headphones....

If you hover over the options bar, there's a little CC icon. That turns on/off any captions the video creator may have inserted, or failing that, turns on Google's voice-to-text service. If you're watching on Youtube, it even gives you a few extra options.

Google's read on the narrator seems fairly on target although there are a couple words it got confused on. The timing tends to be a little off compared to other videos where they've inserted their own captioning, though.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, retnab said:

Oh, one other thing I noticed is on the Infiltrator's card.  It says: "Squad (3x 80mm Fireteams)".  I assume that means you pay for 3 models who share an 80mm base, or you're buying 3 of the 80mm bases?

Well, the pictures show 3 of them on a single 80mm base, which means 9 guys on 3 80 mm bases make a squad. That also means Infiltrators will be sold as either 3 man or 9 man (3 each of 3 sculpts) boxes, probably depending on whether a fireteam or a squad is the minimum field allowance.