Beginner looking for a crew!

jmb1

Hello

A friend of mine is starting to introduce me to Malifaux and it looks really different compared to other wargames I've played. I've never played it before and I'm due to play my first game next week using someone else's models. 

So, having looked through the models there are 3 crew boxes that I'm interested in and was wondering if anyone could give me some advice on which they think might be best? I like Lilith, the Viktorias and Lady Justice and do favour a melee style of play. I just can't decide which one to get! I want something that might be quite simple for me to use to begin with, but that has enough depth to grow my faction and competitive gameplay as I get into it more. Also, with each one, is there another model/box that is an 'essential' purchase?

I'm very much looking forward to the first game. Thanks in advance for any comments and advice!

Any of those three are solid boxes to start with. Since all three are from different factions, though, it will be important to you to look at the style of each faction, both in terms of what they do on the table, what they look like, and their fluff -- this is a hobby we're supposed to enjoy, after all, and no one wants to paint and play with models they think look like crap, or find thematically uninteresting. 

• Like 4

I second the above sentiment. All are fairly solid so it depends on which faction you like the aesthetics and playstyle of. Most players branch to other masters in the same faction since most henchmen models are only available through master boxes so you are forced to buy some masters.

I think Lilith has more depth than the others, she can manipulate the board and support models in a way the others don't. The others mostly just brutalize stuff and I would say the Viks are better at it than Lady Justice but they are less durable so will probably lead to some all or nothing games where they feel unstoppable one game and underpowered the next. It just takes more practice.

I can't really speak for any must have models, there are so many options and variables. Pick something you like the look of. A second master box is often a good pick since it gives both minions and henchmen. For the Viktorias I think von Schill offers a lot of decent models (not 100% since I don't play outcasts). Lady Justice could probably do well with Hoffman's or Perdita's box. There is a high chance any guild list will include at least one austringer so they are good early box. Or just pick any good looking box from the same faction as your master and learn to play with what you have.

• Like 4

Schemes and Stones guys did "building on a budget" articles for each faction. They give you a shopping list for each master, worth 101$ aiming to give you a competitive core to start with. Caveat I'm a filthy non-tournament playing casual but their lists look really good:

https://schemesandstones.wordpress.com/

Also agreeing with the others. Pick a faction you like best, then pick a master from there.

• Like 1

On 12/12/2016 at 10:55 AM, jmb1 said:

but that has enough depth to grow my faction and competitive gameplay as I get into it more.

Seeing as you mentioned the word "grow", Lilith is clearly the only option! (some of her crew mechanics are to "Grow" her little demons growing into bigger demons by eating enemies!).

The above advice is all very sound. I thoroughly agree that the aesthetics and theme of certain factions plays a large part of which ones you want to collect.

The only thing I'd add is to perhaps do a little reading a bit about each of them before making an informed decision. I'd recommend PullMyFinger, which is a website that gives you the rundown on models.

Here's a link for each of the three that interest you so far: Lady JusticeLilithViktorias

My gut feelings for each of them as intros are:

Lady Justice is a decent choice since she whacks things pretty hard, doesn't care about line-of-sight when she's charging and has plenty of Wounds to keep her in the fight. These are all good for learning the game with, and at the same time she's not a completely all-or-nothing master; she doesn't punish you or your opponent for slightly misplaying by immediately killing the entire enemy team / immediately dying in one shot.

The Viktorias can be very polarising, so might not be fun to learn the game with - they'll often either get killed easily and early since they're very fragile, and leave you with a bad taste and probably a lost game, or they'll completely stomp face since they hit like a truck, and leave the opponent with a bad taste. Either way they won't help you learn how to understand and approach schemes and strategies (the heart and soul of Malifaux) or how interact with your opponent to earn VP. I think they're a great 2nd or 3rd Master to pick up, maybe after you've learned the basics of the game with a more well-rounded Master.

Lilith's good for learners, intermediate players, and expert players all at the same time. On the surface, her stats are good, her abilities and actions are fairly linear, and her kit is easy to understand. But she really does reward a smart player. The more you play her, the more you can learn how best to exploit her abilities and spells to really screw with your opponent. She's not so much a melee beatstick as a hybrid of melee, debuff and control elements. 

• Like 2