Jump to content
Akai

Cult of the Burning Man image Previews

Recommended Posts

17 minutes ago, Wolfpact said:

Gods, I love this Allegiance more and more with every reveal....

And the Burning Man will live you more and more with every new tentacle :P

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, JDAntoine said:

And the Burning Man will live you more and more with every new tentacle :P

TOUCHED BY HIS NOODLY APPENDAGE!

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Wolfpact said:

Gods, I love this Allegiance more and more with every reveal....

that's exactly how I feel.

 

Originally I was torn between the Cult and Gibbering hordes. But with each new bit of information just puts me more and more firmly in the camp of the Cult - granted, this is no big surprise. I've always had a love for the weirder/less "human" factions, in pretty much every mini game I play.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I really, really want to like the Gibbering Hordes but right now I'm kind of lukewarm. I want to see some hermit crabs and the anglerfish murloc guys show up, because I'm not as interested in the centipedes. The Titan is also one of the weaker looking models I feel. Cult just keeps hitting it out of the park though, especially with all the variety.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Cinnamon Bear said:

I really, really want to like the Gibbering Hordes but right now I'm kind of lukewarm. I want to see some hermit crabs and the anglerfish murloc guys show up, because I'm not as interested in the centipedes. The Titan is also one of the weaker looking models I feel. Cult just keeps hitting it out of the park though, especially with all the variety.

yea, that's a good point. Although I don't know about hermit crabs, it'd be nice to get a bit more verity from them. I just like the idea of a murloc-y, underwater group. It's interesting and not something that has been done to death in war games.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm already liking the Hordes, but the Cult less so due to the body horror stuff, that's not my cup of tea.

 

That said, I so want to see a Cult-Hordes match up.... portals and tide pools! Movement shenanigans :D

 

I also like the Glory mechanic... while the Cult needs to hinder themselves to go Glory, that also means that anyone going up against them needs to debate whether that -2 is worth the chance of glorying someone....

 

I really like the Stalking Portals... as for the Gorscythe's low armor, who knows what kind of shenanigans it might have? Judging by its multiple heads, I wouldn't be surprised to see it being able to sacrifice something to avoid death.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, CaerSidis said:

Only the Titan does not fit, for me...The rest looking awesome... And the Titans Armor of 7?! Sounds a little bit strange compared with 11/12 of the other Titans

It seems like the fact that it can get a new Asset (thus, damage prevention) every turn with its first ability where the others only have what they start with is the reason for the lower Ar.

Also they've confirmed that there will be two dual allegiance Commanders (and we've already seen an Empire/Abyssinia one) in the KS comments, so it looks like a Hordes/Cult Commander is going to be hidden in the stretch goals somewhere :) 

The Glory mechanic is one of the coolest things IMO, I dislike the whole "your unit got messed up, so it's now even more useless!" way most games do morale.  Giving bonus stats, triggers, and abilities after doing some challenge seems good to me, and the fact that the Cult gets to Glory as easily as it seems to (your opponent won't want to put Shaken Tokens on you since you can use them effectively, which inherently is kind of good for us) is cool too.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It kind of makes sense, they have lower Sp, Df, AV, and Strength on their attacks (excluding good luck with Cascading Magic).  They're the monsters that keep getting up, not the ones that beat you senseless it seems :) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I was more meaning thematically instead of mechanically. They are the end point of mutation, so I thought they would be the scary units, it just feels odd that the random mutated men that make up the Cult's fodder are incredibly powerful. I expected the warped to be weak and cheap units with a habit of exploding.

Also, Breachling doesn't have a plug base. Does that mean anything? Not sure.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, Xavian and Deathgrip said:

I was more meaning thematically instead of mechanically. They are the end point of mutation, so I thought they would be the scary units, it just feels odd that the random mutated men that make up the Cult's fodder are incredibly powerful. I expected the warped to be weak and cheap units with a habit of exploding.

Also, Breachling doesn't have a plug base. Does that mean anything? Not sure.

Same thing happens in Malifaux when Illuminated become Depleted.

Something similar also happens in the old fluff of a certain fantasy wargame from a certain other company.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, CaerSidis said:

Only the Titan does not fit, for me...The rest looking awesome... And the Titans Armor of 7?! Sounds a little bit strange compared with 11/12 of the other Titans

Yeah, Gorysche is the fan favorite of the titans. The rest are kinda generic, I mean even the names, which would you want The king's hand, The Dreadnaught, the Alpha Crawler or Gorysche? He has less armour because he regenerates his assets, with the other titans once they lose an asset it's gone for good.

Of course I am interested in what future titans may make an appearance, maybe a giant telekentic jelly fish, or a mech made to look like a lion. These early titans seem to exist in order to give people an idea of what they can expect from the allegiance, but the cult is a group of psychos and mutants, there is baseline to work form.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Xavian and Deathgrip said:

Yeah, Gorysche is the fan favorite of the titans. The rest are kinda generic, I mean even the names, which would you want The king's hand, The Dreadnaught, the Alpha Crawler or Gorysche? He has less armour because he regenerates his assets, with the other titans once they lose an asset it's gone for good.

Of course I am interested in what future titans may make an appearance, maybe a giant telekentic jelly fish, or a mech made to look like a lion. These early titans seem to exist in order to give people an idea of what they can expect from the allegiance, but the cult is a group of psychos and mutants, there is baseline to work form.

Its also a monster from old Russian mythology.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, AverageBoss said:

Its also a monster from old Russian mythology.

Is it? I was looking around to see where they got the name and found nothing. It looks like Orochi though, as Hydra's are normally depicted with legs. Orochi as a sea serpent is often depicted as heads sticking out of water, and many people have had a lot of fun coming up with what could be under the water. I like to imagine it's a giant crab.

breachling

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, Xavian and Deathgrip said:

Is it? I was looking around to see where they got the name and found nothing. It looks like Orochi though, as Hydra's are normally depicted with legs. Orochi as a sea serpent is often depicted as heads sticking out of water, and many people have had a lot of fun coming up with what could be under the water. I like to imagine it's a giant crab.

breachling

http://www.worldhistory.biz/sundries/39412-goryshche.html

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, AverageBoss said:

Most of my knowledge of mythology comes from Percy Jackson novels I read as a kid or wikipedia. I do love reading about cultures though, it is very interesting, and helps for inspiration. Gorysche doesn't have a page for herself. Still the best titan of the bunch though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Warped and Twisted Horrors are different branches of the same tree. Basically, you start as one of the Broken, crazed fanatic types. As you develop more and become more attuned to the Burning Man's magics, that magic can either consume you (Twisted Horrors) or become your tool (Warped). Either way, it is incredibly potent, but it has different results in terms of utility.

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah, I wasn't a huge fan of our Titan, but she's growing on me (especially after reading the myth). Maybe, we'll get her young as a squad sometime in the future.

I'm in the air about our Glory mechanic. It seems we have the worse by far. The King's Empire gets Gloried by succeeding in something. OK. No penalty, but a challenge. The Gibbering Hordes and the Abssinians take a penalty, but can choose at any time they are willing to make the sacrifice.

Us on the other hand, we have to take a penalty and give the opponent some control over it. It does give our opponent some pause to penalize our un-Gloried squads. But if we can't get 2 Shaken Tokens on our guys right away, the opponent can just use them (even if they are on an unimportant action) just to get rid of them. So, our efforts can easily be wasted while the other factions that take a penalty cannot.

Of course, if we wind up producing a ton of Shaken Tokens on our own guys, it might be a problem.

Guess, we'll find out during playtest.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't think it will be a problem for two reasons: since we pass out Shaken Tokens any time an Ace goes in the discard pile and there's so much deck cycling in what we've seen of the Cult, that should be happening quite regularly; and also since the activating model does not have to be the one going Glory, it doesn't mess with our activation control to do it.   This is without having tried it of course, but while the opponent can burn your Shaken Tokens with actions it doesn't seem like it should be hard beyond that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@Aaron, is there any chance we can get a tiny hint as to who the ECB Black Ops are and what they're doing supporting the magic fueled crazy faction?  From what little bits we've seen they seem like pretty normal folks and are using guns rather than tentacles and magic like the rest of the faction.

Also, I'm assuming they're not operatives of the European Central Bank? :P

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sure. Going off the top of my head here, so some minor details might be off. I don't have an amazing memory.

The British gov had locked up a madman who had been gathering a following in London. It turns out some of the things he said started to come true, etc with the Burning Man and so forth. He was transferred to the Extraordinary Cases Bureau for further study.

I'll let you figure it out from there.

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×