The faction I'm waiting for...

JDAntoine

34 minutes ago, Wolfpact said:

I do want the Russians, eventually, to be a thing.

But for now, the Cult is hitting almost all my buttons. The shenanigans those portals will allow for....

Very awesome and solid choice.

I think that the Guild will play out very differently on Earthside anyway, more thinking about a swarm of cheap dudes rather than the ranged tactics applied in Malifaux. Largely because those same tactics seem to be found on the King's Empire and if the Guid is going to be based in something that now is named Russia ;) I expect a lot of cheap and fast stuff rather than the popculture slow and powerful stuff that often seems to be stuck on Soviet/Russian stuff.

Just now, chaos0xomega said:

I think its worth mentioning that Egypt is an independent state according to that map. Could be good fodder for a "freaky" faction channeling the power of ancient egyptian gods, etc.

Absolutely, the discussion about The Other Side is a bit spread across the forums but I'd certainly like a 50/50 mix of freaks and soldiers. We are off with a good start allready. If I'd had to make a guess I'd probably vote The Guid and Spanish/South America Undead next, perhaps we'll see The Three Kingdoms and Egyptian Devine Warriors... Who knows... Guesses can lead us anywhere right now and the map apperently isn't perse representing something. 

I honestly don't want to see the Guild, they are already in Malifaux and their niche of overwhelming firepower is already taken by the King's Empire. The Guild is just that, a Guild, they have a lot of financial and coercive power, but little military power.

I may be a bit too scared about faction bloat, but it just comes down to the fact that there are so many factions that people seem to want, and each would need a freaky faction to balance out the aesthetic.

I think Wyrd will play it like Warmachines/Hordes; The King's Empire is one of the big Factions, but there are auxiliary or 'mercenary' units that have a loyalty mechanic to one or more Factions. 

So say Canada has already earned its sovereignty in this timeline; the Blackpowder Wars were our time to shine and the King's Empire responded with land and titles (I've always been tickled by the notion that Canada was basically knighted into existence). While still nominally loyal to the Empire, we also extend our hand to other nations, like say Abyssinia. 

So there can be one or two units; maybe Mountie cavalry with some kind of fancy rifle/pikes, and they're fast-moving snipers. Then there's another unit of Metis mercs, who are a mishmash of peasant militia types with a bit of Native American shamanism to give them a punch. We could have the Queen's Own Rifles (or maybe the King's Own Rifles in this universe) who are Canada's infantry and have a very "jack of all trades" approach to combat (much as our army does in the real world). And we can have Arctic Rangers who are scouts who can take a polar bear as a kind of familiar for some deep-striking power. 

• Like 1

Hey guys I just watched the allegiance video again and I realized we mussed something, on each allegiance ability card (no that is not an upgrade card surprisingly) it says either "earth allegiance" or "malifaux allegiance" which is what is it saying instead of normal or freaky. This means that every earth originated faction would also come with a Malifaux originating faction with no real earth territory.

Also, if you look closely you can tell that the Lord of Steel, Margeret Belle and Fenton Brahms are all commanders. As they all have it written on their cards.

Also I once found a page called the faction calculus on TVtropes, and while I have begun to disagree with it, it does have a few interesting grains in it.

For instance, when there are two factions they tend to be subversice and powerhouse, and as more factions are added parts of these break off into the new ones. They got it wrong on the page because they believed that when a fourth faction was added (third would be balances, agree with them at that point mainly after starcraft's succes) it would be the glass cannon faction, as that one is somewhat present in all other factions.

Powerhouse: Shoot them from afar(empire) or Tank rush (abysinia)

Subversive: Zerg Rush(Hordes) or Guerilla (Cult)

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Aaron said:

/stops making Canada.

no offense, but I think the  train to speculation land has already gone more off the rails than the time my DnD group killed a dungeon boss in one round with a chicken leg.

And you are not helping. That said, I am having a lot of fun and this is probably good for me considering this is exam season and I am a workaholic.

53 minutes ago, Xavian and Deathgrip said:

I honestly don't want to see the Guild, they are already in Malifaux and their niche of overwhelming firepower is already taken by the King's Empire. The Guild is just that, a Guild, they have a lot of financial and coercive power, but little military power.

I may be a bit too scared about faction bloat, but it just comes down to the fact that there are so many factions that people seem to want, and each would need a freaky faction to balance out the aesthetic.

Sadly I don't think them not appearing wouldn't make a lot of sence. I can understand why players might not like the Guild in Malifaux but it's important to remember that everything is linked in some way or another both Malifaux and the Other Side where linked to each other as soon as the Breach opened...

I think that military power can be bought, the Guild most certainly isn't solely financial and coercive because of what money does for you in this world.

Don't freak out of faction bloat too much, I'm not suggesting 12 factions but 7-8 like Malifaux should make a lot of sence. This is the wole Earth we're talking about. Massive scale battles and not some City who's prime focus was to act as a entry for players from all nations to find 'riches'.

28 minutes ago, Aaron said:

/starts making Canadians

Moose-man! Moose-man! Moose-man!

I need my Street Shark to battle a Moose Man.

1 minute ago, Aaron said:

If I'm causing an issue, happy to stop posting.

I jest I jest, I was joking. That is the one problem with chat rooms, you cannot tell the tone that the person is using, and body language and vocal inflection in 60% of our understanding of words. I was just laughing at how earlier you were commenting that people should tone down the speculation and now it seems like you have decided that if you can't beat um, join em.

12 minutes ago, Xavian and Deathgrip said:

Hey guys I just watched the allegiance video again and I realized we mussed something, on each allegiance ability card (no that is not an upgrade card surprisingly) it says either "earth allegiance" or "malifaux allegiance" which is what is it saying instead of normal or freaky. This means that every earth originated faction would also come with a Malifaux originating faction with no real earth territory.

Also, if you look closely you can tell that the Lord of Steel, Margeret Belle and Fenton Brahms are all commanders. As they all have it written on their cards.
Also I once found a page called the faction calculus on TVtropes, and while I have begun to disagree with it, it does have a few interesting grains in it.

For instance, when there are two factions they tend to be subversice and powerhouse, and as more factions are added parts of these break off into the new ones. They got it wrong on the page because they believed that when a fourth faction was added (third would be balances, agree with them at that point mainly after starcraft's succes) it would be the glass cannon faction, as that one is somewhat present in all other factions.

Powerhouse: Shoot them from afar(empire) or Tank rush (abysinia)

Subversive: Zerg Rush(Hordes) or Guerilla (Cult)

As in the other post, not missed, stuff seems to be linked ;) Logically also but I don't want to spoil too much for fluff-junkies.

@Aaron 

Ah it's all part of the buzz right? If the Guild of Mimififi eventually doesn't show up at all I'll happily enjoy a guy that used to be in a specific faction but now is 'floating in between'. ;) 

3 minutes ago, JDAntoine said:

As in the other post, not missed, stuff seems to be linked ;) Logically also but I don't want to spoil too much for fluff-junkies.

It seems to be their point of origine, Malifaux factions will be subversive and not have any true territories, and are simply called Malifaux factions because their power originates from there, while earth factions will be powerhouses with strictly defined arbitrary borders.

1 minute ago, Xavian and Deathgrip said:

It seems to be their point of origine, Malifaux factions will be subversive and not have any true territories, and are simply called Malifaux factions because their power originates from there, while earth factions will be powerhouses with strictly defined arbitrary borders.

The Burning Man is the former Guild Governer-General and as such his orgine most certainly is Malifaux. At the same time the latest book mentions that the Guild in Malifaux has hired the expertise of Dr. Hackeem Teewolde who is Abyssian. It's both a mention of their orgine and territories however as can be seen on this map they most certainly are capable of conquest or so it seems. I think we can even expect campaigns who can alter the strictly defined borders.

All I know is that this is a great excuse to review various timelines for events between 1800 and 1906 and getting reminded how relatively contemporary various territory changes would still be, or how easy it would be to derail something like Alaska or the western territories.  :huh:

I suppose it comes down to whether the Guild stays out of "harmless" things like the annexation of Texas.  ^_^

6 minutes ago, solkan said:

I suppose it comes down to whether the Guild stays out of "harmless" things like the annexation of Texas.  ^_^

We shall see, maby Earthside Guild just likes red flags a lot and love every art of naked man punching naked horse. (small naked horse AGAIN)

By the looks of it the man with the sword might even be so upset because he got a sword and not a red flag. 

The_Guild.jpg