King's Empire Image Previews

Akai

Not really the best place to discuss the real world effects of the British Empire, but it wasn't all bad. Among other things the British Empire:

Worked to abolish slavery, not just banning it, but actively hunting down slavers and setting up a colony of freed slaves.

Creating disaster relief services in India. Previously if a monsoon wiped out an areas crops everyone starved. The Empire set up a system to deal with that, which continued well after the British left India.

Provided education, medical services and infrastructure.

The Empire also provided the manpower and resources to help bring about the defeat of Germany and Japan. When Japan offered India independence from the Empire in WW2, India responded by creating the largest all volunteer army in history and fighting for the Empire.

There is a modern trend to link the words Empire and Evil together, but it is a LOT more complicated than that. As with any world power, they did a lot wrong, but they also did a lot to improve the conditions in the places they went.

Back on topic, the minis in the KS look nice, but I think the uniforms look a little plain. The Dragoons could use proper helmets, either with more decoration on the front or at least a neat looking plume. The art for the KE  infantry shows them with some webbing which the minis appear to lack.

The infiltrators look great though.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Emberlost said:

Ah, my bad. I didn't think of them being based off a real-world military unit. 

Watch Zulu, its the British force that defended Rourkes Drift.... Only the Officers and a handful of soldiers were English.

I'm from South Wales myself, I'm really happy to see this unit, and I don't mind the coal miner esque look as it is 'true' to the region turn of the century, however it does shy away from the heroes of RD.

Seeing this unit has given me great ideas of having a Welsh company as my force!

3 hours ago, deadmanwade said:

Not really the best place to discuss the real world effects of the British Empire, but it wasn't all bad. Among other things the British Empire:

Correction, it wasn't all that bad for white people (which includes me. Yah Canadian independence without any negative consequences). What you say is true but effects of colonialism are the origins of the current turmoil in the middle east, which has gone on for centuries at this point, as well as a lot of discrimination, ethnocide, and genocide. Yes it did do good things, not denying that. History is complex, we shouldn't try to moralize AND now I realize that I am being a politically correct hypocrite. Is the british empire good or bad? Well what are we comparing it to? We don't know what would have happened if they had never colonized, so how can we say it would have been better or worse.

Every country in the world is guilty of Genocide or attempted genocide sometimes during their lifetime. The only difference in morality is the one's that admit it and apologize. (discounting very recent states for obvious reasons.)

In all honestly this discusion would create a violent flame war any other forum, but here? Wyrd forums are oddly rational and sane.

Of course my bet is that the king's empire will be a "nice" empire that accentuates the positive parts and ignores the negative, presenting an ethnically diverse cast of soldiers all fighting for a common cause. Admitedly, that would be cool to see.

• Like 1

We did a bit of cherry picking here, and the devs had some fun with their choices as well, and then of course, there were the times where they just had to work around me and make something work because I stomped into their pool and went for the 'cool' factor and they had to talk me down, redirect me, or quite bluntly, undermine me and make me think it was a good idea to go the route they were suggesting. 

:)

I have to be very honest here, the Kings Empire would have looked VERY different if I hadn't been talked to by the devs, in particular Mason, who all but had small kittens about the subject. I'm a very visual person, give me the boom and pow, the swirling cloaks and power soulstone bows and ... etc ... which was almost exactly what happened, until a few days worth of discussion about 'we need some normies' to be the flatline basis to keep things based off of finally got through to me. I think I might have actually huffed and puffed a bit, but eventually I gave in (not very gracefully I might add). Then we dug into getting artwork done, sculpts and making things cohesive.

At the end of the day, I was pretty damn happy with it, and had to tell them - yeah - ya'll were right. Except for the South Wales Borderers. OMG - they were boring. Sooo .. yeah, power fist exoskeltons, there you go. There is a story there, but if you're expecting one that honors properly the brave men and women the real SWB, I'll have to apologize up front to all of those folks now. Our guys and gals though, do kick ass. 

• Like 5

24 minutes ago, Xavian and Deathgrip said:

In all honestly this discusion would create a violent flame war any other forum, but here? Wyrd forums are oddly rational and sane.

No worries, I'm not out to start anything. I like my forums flame war free and (at least somewhat) sane.  

I think the Guild pretty much has the 'bad, multinational superpower' covered, so the KE could well turn out to be the good guys of the TOS setting. We'll have to see. Either way, I'm liking the aesthetic of regular men and women fighting back against extra-planar monstrosities and twisted mutants. I'll leave the fluff to Wyrd to put together. 

Do we know how much of an Empire is the KE? India is mentioned as being part of them, but I'm unsure about anything in Africa, or other parts in Asia, really.

I'm hoping to see some Oxfordian Mages or something like that show up, just a little bit of magic, but not too much.

From the preview the Royal Rifle Corpse looks pretty darn awesome! Also loving the King's Hand. Customizable Giant Mech woo!

If the Guild does show up as an Allegiance, I'm expecting that to be full of specialized troops, perhaps monsters taken from Malifaux and unleashed here, perhaps along with constructs.

I could have sworn the joke about Oxford in Malifaux is that its referencing Oxford,Mississippi and Ole Miss instead of Oxford University.*

*Edit: I just double checked the core rulebook and this is the case.

I believe they've mentioned that the map and the colors were not final, so speculation based on them isn't going to lead anywhere. 

Japan is part of the 3 Kingdoms judging from what we've seen of the Ten Thunders. What with all the ninja, oni, and terrible japanese names.

15 hours ago, Nathan Caroland said:

Except for the South Wales Borderers. OMG - they were boring. Sooo .. yeah, power fist exoskeltons, there you go. There is a story there, but if you're expecting one that honors properly the brave men and women the real SWB, I'll have to apologize up front to all of those folks now. Our guys and gals though, do kick ass. 

Hey Nathan, as I said I'm from South Wales and I love the look of the Borderers.. it's what made me want to do Kings Empire

• Like 1

On 2016-12-15 at 11:31 AM, aquenaton said:

she is dual faction, in the last video appears her card

Dual faction commander. With a focus on repairing titans.

Also, I want to learn more about Albert Campbell, he has a unique name and yet he has a plug base, I am intrigued.

Maybe a trio of specialized morter(ers?) as a commander?

13 hours ago, Xavian and Deathgrip said:

Dual faction commander. With a focus on repairing titans.

Also, I want to learn more about Albert Campbell, he has a unique name and yet he has a plug base, I am intrigued.

Maybe a trio of specialized morter(ers?) as a commander?

It's been said that there are two dedicated commanders and one dual faction commander for each allegiance: Edmonton, Belle and Okoye.

The gun is named in some places as Albert Campbell and Artillery Team - also "plug base" implies not a single model. I suspect this may have been a potential commander that has been changed to a unit. Thrace has also gone AWOL: surely she is Empire? Either the Wyrd elves have some surprises up their sleeves or certain plans have been changed/shelved for later release.

Edited by Skitt_Happens
*now including actual names!

4 minutes ago, Skitt_Happens said:

Thrace has also gone AWOL: surely she is Empire? Either the Wyrd elves have some surprises up their sleeves or certain plans have been changed/shelved for later release.

Yeah, where is she? I thought she would be the poster commander, but no that is Edmonton.

I wonder what the dual faction commander for hordes and cult will be. I also wonder if cult/empire or cult/abysinia will ever happen, but I cannot see a way that gibbering hordes would have a cross over commander.

I'm definitely going to back the KS for the King's Empire, but I have a few quibbles about the renders. This is mainly down to me being keen on history and TOS is obviously not a historical game, so I don't expect much to change. I'm just offering an opinion.

1. Looking at the Rifle Corps, how are their backpacks staying on? Some kind of straps would help make them look a bit more realistic. E.g.

nLCQXh9.jpg

2. The Grenadiers' Grenade Launchers look really modern. Rotary style weapons like that were only developed around 1980. Given that the rest of the King's Empire equipment looks fairly low-tech or steam powered, perhaps the grenade launchers could be looked at again? For example, during WW1 catapult type devices and mortars were used for throwing grenades. Even up until the end of WW2, the British army were still using the sping-loaded PIAT as an anti-tank weapon.

3. The Dragoon's look great, but their helmets look odd compared to real world examples. Dragoon Dress Helmets had plumes, but their combat uniform helmets were usually plain or had a simple spike on the top. By WW1 they wore caps or infantry style helmets into battle.

http://www.qdg.org.uk/pages/Uniform-1843-Onwards-81.php

• Like 2

I actually really like the grenadiers grenade launcher and the dragoons look epic, you know this is a miniature game with a wealth of conversion bits available,  both from ttb multi kits and malifaux,  I'm sure you could come up with a grenade launcher and dragoon helmets that suit your look :-)

4 hours ago, Wlokk said:

IDK man,  In a setting where giant robots are fighting Kaiju and a man in blue flames showers the world in chaos, When Africa leads in technology with lightining guns and magic rocks, and when replacing limbs with steam/magic robotics is common place, I can let a revolving grenade launcher go. It's basically a giant revolver anyways.

However those straps are going to bug me now that you pointed them out...

Edit: Those catapults look ghetto AF. I'd rather have good looking minis and not play historical.

Also Lazarus has a rotary grenade launcher, so it's existing tech already.

23 minutes ago, Wlokk said:

....that's weird because those are all high accuracy units but that horn on the end is typical of a time where hitting someone was more about luck than skill.

For me the entire steampunk vibe and look is an excellent  thing...but with KE the look is also flirting quite heavily with First World War uniforms/steel helmets etc...ok...that works well in an alternate world/steampunk setting...BUT....blunderbusses are either historically from the late seventeen hundreds or early eighteen hundreds or they are Elmer Fudd...in the early twentieth century for me it just doesn't cut it either way.The other three factions are far enough removed from reality to work well as fantasy but KE are neither War Of The Worlds or early twentieth century military.

...on a similar note whilst most of the elements of the KE overall look very good as a human element for TOS The Dragoons to my eye also look cartoonish and not at all military.It is one thing to invent Infiltrators who totally look the part and look as though they could step in or out of Malifaux at a moments notice...but the cavalrymen are devoid of all the military paraphernalia that historically made them heavy hitters....obviously this is just my opinion.

Interesting to see the different opinions. I see that Wyrd has always mixed the real history with some great aspects of fantasy. In many artwork and design this is also replicated. It's reconizable and also at the same time still steampunk fantasy :) . I personally like the look of all KE units. I don't really know why Royal Rifle Corps have bandana's but other than that I feel the fantasy mix is allright as usual.