Build-a-Master (Reuse)

Hello! I need some community feedback for my next podcast episode.

We do a segment where we come up with ideas for new models with restrictions placed on ourselves by other hosts. We also come up with a restriction for the community to build a model around. The plan is to eventually do a model for each station and faction combination in the game.

We first did an Arcanist Peon, then a 10 Thunders minion. Now we're getting into the deep end with designing a Master for the Resurrectionists. I know that adding a new master to the game is the last thing most of you want to see, but I assure you this is just for fun and to get the creative juices going. The community restriction this time is rather simple, but a bit wordy.

Every master comes in a thematic crew box with models that work with the master in a fluffy and mechanical level. We want you to take a box of models in the Resurrectionist faction that currently can't be found in any crew box (Drowned, Crooked Men, Hanged, etc). You must design the master with the caveat that these models will be included in it's 'crew box' and thus must be thematic to the master.

You can flesh out the master as much as you wish. It can be as simple as a few concepts for actions, or as complicated as filling out an entire card and designing the crew box. We'll go through as many here as we can, and I'll post a link to the episode when it goes up.

Thanks a bunch for your help.

• Like 1

There was an idea floated around recently about a Gremlin master that was a nod to House of 1000 Corpses and The Hills Have Eyes.  Backwoods humans living with the gremlins in the swamp and just cutting people to shreds.  I initially thought it would be better as Gremlin/Outcast, but it could work as a Gremlin/Resser as well.

My biggest thing about a crew like that is they should be based around using stealth.  Some way of burying and appearing to do a melee attack or short range shoot, with some added damage for "sneak attacking."  This could work as just a resser as well, I like the idea of stealth in Malifaux.

• Like 1

Using The Drowned as the models that don't currently come in a crew box.

The master known only as The Captain is the spirit of a sea captain, an undead relic from the Age of Sail. He and his shipmates sailed through a minor and unstable breach during a storm. That brought them to Malifaux, but they were changed as they came through. The made landfall in this unknown world and slowly died one by one. Now in undeath, the Captain summons back those who served with him using the soulstone energy of those he kills.

He has an aura similar to Jaakuna Ubume to make terrain around him hazardous. If something dies because of that hazardous terrain check, he can discard a card or a soulstone to summon a Drowned in base contact before that model is removed from play. He has a medium range, medium damage pistol shot, and uses his ghostly Nautical Saber in close combat, ignoring armor - it will also have a trigger to turn an enemy model into a Drowned when it gets to zero wounds. His other main attack is a cast "Call of the Sea", with various nautical related trigger names to do some already in-faction actions - e.g. Lure, Obey, Slow. He is Incorporeal and Hard to Wound, but probably only 8 wounds or so to balance it out. He comes with two Limited upgrades: one to make him more combat focused (Cold Iron Saber) probably with some extra triggers on damage, and one to make him more of support piece (Boatswain's Whistle) to help buff or push nearby models.

His totem is his cabin boy, Lucky Pete, who can be used to increase the range of The Captain's Call of the Sea by being able to draw Rg/LoS from Pete. Pete can also take a 1 AP tactical action  to put up a 3" aura so that friendly undead can take Interact actions while engaged.

Rounding out the crew box is Morgan, a Henchman who was the first mate on their ill-fated ship. She has Resilience +2 and Hard to wound and 8 or 9 wounds. She's more of a support Henchman than a beatstick, but survivable as you can see. She has a reasonable Ml attack that will ignore armor and a similar reasonable ranged attack. She also has a couple of zero actions "Captain on Deck!" that pushes a friendly leader toward her and Holler Orders which allows a model within 8" to push 2" and take a 1 AP interact. She has a 6" aura "Get a move on!" which gives friendly minions +1 Wk/Cg, and an upgrade Surgeon's Blades that gives her a 1 AP heal, and a Ml attack that can declare a continuous repeat attack on a Mask (similar to Blessed of December).

The crew box is probably called something along the lines of Murder Cove.

• Like 4

10 hours ago, Four_N_Six said:

There was an idea floated around recently about a Gremlin master that was a nod to House of 1000 Corpses and The Hills Have Eyes.  Backwoods humans living with the gremlins in the swamp and just cutting people to shreds.  I initially thought it would be better as Gremlin/Outcast, but it could work as a Gremlin/Resser as well.

My biggest thing about a crew like that is they should be based around using stealth.  Some way of burying and appearing to do a melee attack or short range shoot, with some added damage for "sneak attacking."  This could work as just a resser as well, I like the idea of stealth in Malifaux.

What existing minions/enforcers box would you use?

11 hours ago, Kaiser Senpai said:

What existing minions/enforcers box would you use?

Maybe Akaname and work some sort of poison in? Not as quite like McMourning, but maybe they poison their weapons somehow. Immune to poison damage (not the condition) themselves, and maybe get +1 damage based on their poison value. It's hard to pick existing models since the original thought was back woods humans, and gremlins don't have that much yet. 

From Ressers I'd think the drowned or the hanged. Spirits that were killed and left abandoned in the bayou. 

On ‎2016‎-‎12‎-‎05 at 2:26 PM, godswearhats said:

Using The Drowned as the models that don't currently come in a crew box.

The master known only as The Captain is the spirit of a sea captain, an undead relic from the Age of Sail. He and his shipmates sailed through a minor and unstable breach during a storm. That brought them to Malifaux, but they were changed as they came through. The made landfall in this unknown world and slowly died one by one. Now in undeath, the Captain summons back those who served with him using the soulstone energy of those he kills.

He has an aura similar to Jaakuna Ubume to make terrain around him hazardous. If something dies because of that hazardous terrain check, he can discard a card or a soulstone to summon a Drowned in base contact before that model is removed from play. He has a medium range, medium damage pistol shot, and uses his ghostly Nautical Saber in close combat, ignoring armor - it will also have a trigger to turn an enemy model into a Drowned when it gets to zero wounds. His other main attack is a cast "Call of the Sea", with various nautical related trigger names to do some already in-faction actions - e.g. Lure, Obey, Slow. He is Incorporeal and Hard to Wound, but probably only 8 wounds or so to balance it out. He comes with two Limited upgrades: one to make him more combat focused (Cold Iron Saber) probably with some extra triggers on damage, and one to make him more of support piece (Boatswain's Whistle) to help buff or push nearby models.

His totem is his cabin boy, Lucky Pete, who can be used to increase the range of The Captain's Call of the Sea by being able to draw Rg/LoS from Pete. Pete can also take a 1 AP tactical action  to put up a 3" aura so that friendly undead can take Interact actions while engaged.

Rounding out the crew box is Morgan, a Henchman who was the first mate on their ill-fated ship. She has Resilience +2 and Hard to wound and 8 or 9 wounds. She's more of a support Henchman than a beatstick, but survivable as you can see. She has a reasonable Ml attack that will ignore armor and a similar reasonable ranged attack. She also has a couple of zero actions "Captain on Deck!" that pushes a friendly leader toward her and Holler Orders which allows a model within 8" to push 2" and take a 1 AP interact. She has a 6" aura "Get a move on!" which gives friendly minions +1 Wk/Cg, and an upgrade Surgeon's Blades that gives her a 1 AP heal, and a Ml attack that can declare a continuous repeat attack on a Mask (similar to Blessed of December).

The crew box is probably called something along the lines of Murder Cove.

I was thinking about this today and had a weird idea - what about an upgrade that let him take (undead) Wokou Raiders out of faction?  And maybe that gave friendly Drowned/keyworded models some ability that penalized enemies for having friendly (to them) scheme markers nearby?

22 hours ago, clockworkspide said:

I was thinking about this today and had a weird idea - what about an upgrade that let him take (undead) Wokou Raiders out of faction?  And maybe that gave friendly Drowned/keyworded models some ability that penalized enemies for having friendly (to them) scheme markers nearby?

Are you perhaps thinking of Dead Outlaws? They're the Outcast Undead Bandits, whereas Wokou Raiders are living Ninja/Bandit hybrids. Unless you meant to unlock Wokou Raiders AND give them the Undead characteristic with the upgrade as well?

I like the idea for this captain of yours @godswearhats. He would need another name, though, as there's currently an Arcanist henchman literally called "The Captain", too. 

Lucky Pete & Morgan both sound interesting enough, but perhaps they could have some synergy/support for the hazardous terrain subtheme. Morgan has some similarities to Sybelle when you look at their kits.

The only reservations I have is automatic Armour-ignoring attacks on both the master and his henchman is a bit oppressive. Maybe consider having only one of their attacks ignore Armour, or both their attacks ignore Armour, but only on triggers?

26 minutes ago, hydranixx said:

Are you perhaps thinking of Dead Outlaws? They're the Outcast Undead Bandits, whereas Wokou Raiders are living Ninja/Bandit hybrids. Unless you meant to unlock Wokou Raiders AND give them the Undead characteristic with the upgrade as well?

I like the idea for this captain of yours @godswearhats. He would need another name, though, as there's currently an Arcanist henchman literally called "The Captain", too. 

Lucky Pete & Morgan both sound interesting enough, but perhaps they could have some synergy/support for the hazardous terrain subtheme. Morgan has some similarities to Sybelle when you look at their kits.

The only reservations I have is automatic Armour-ignoring attacks on both the master and his henchman is a bit oppressive. Maybe consider having only one of their attacks ignore Armour, or both their attacks ignore Armour, but only on triggers?

Yeah, I was thinking that Wokou Raiders hired through the upgrade would trade Living for Undead, like with Tara and Death Marshals.

• Like 1

I have an idea for a master for Ressers that I use in my TTB games often. Unlike other masters, she does not summon but is a brawler character. She use her hate toward men as her magic and buffs her minions by dealing damage to them. Her totem would be her own daughter, or the spirit of her daughter. Her minion could be Guild Autopsy and maybe her henchmen would be a Henchmen Guild Autopsy. That is all I have for now. I just walked in from work. lol

Sticks the Graveherd

When Sticks was a boy he suffered recurring nightmares of being buried alive. These dreams grew more vivid with time, afflicting him with claustrophobia and insomnia. When he was able, he took a job as a gravedigger and tried to sooth his mind by exhuming the very bodies he buried, placing them somewhere they would not be trapped in darkness. He traveled to Malifaux in search of his fortunes and a hope of escape, but the dreams followed. One evening he awoke from a vivid nightmare and found his hands bloodied and ruined, his broken fingernails caked with grave dirt. With only his lantern and shovel, he fled to a nearby cemetery and desperately exhumed the body of a man he'd buried the day before. As he reached the coffin, he heard the panicked knocking from within and pried the wood away, freeing the "newborn" draugr Obadiah. 

Since then Sticks has gathered a sizable congregation of draugr, most rescued personally, others drawn to him by their need for kinship and a place to belong. Most see Sticks as a rescuer and father-figure, and gladly follow him. Appearing as hooded reapers, these "Ferrymen" wield cleaving shovels and eldritch lanterns to wage a secret war against the monsters of Malifaux, fighting fire with fire, horror with horror. And Sticks has never slept better.

Sticks is a supporting Master, and his Crew is built around endurance, soaking in obscene amounts of damage while steadily weakening opposing crews. His Ferryman Lantern grants major buffs to Draugr models, specifically their ability to regenerate damage, but only at close range. His Corpse Shovel allows him to quickly Bury and Unbury allied units, granting them rapid regeneration and removing most conditions that normally wouldn't be removed by Burying them. Looks So Peaceful grants most models in Sticks' Crew the ability to Bury an opponent when they land a killing blow, preventing them from using abilities that would normally activate in the event of their death. Finally, Sticks' Second Death ability allows him to destroy Corpse and/or Scrap Markers; the more Markers he removes in this manner the stronger his buffs become, making him an absolute terror to Crews that depend on such Markers to remain a threat in combat. 

• Like 2

My choice would be Gaki. Their model is gorgeous, but their rules are so underwhelming. You'd rarely hire or purposefully summon them. They seem to just be a sort of by-the-way addition to Kirai & Datsue Ba's actions, and Kirai who does it from behind a big screen of spirits anyway. I would want a master that gets stuck in there with his fellow Gaki. Plus everyone despises Kirai.

Thus, my master concept is someone who favours up close and personal fighting, personifies hunger/greed/ambition/ and happens to work well with Gaki. 

Stats - something along the lines of:
Df6 / Wp5 / Wd13 / Wk4 / Cg 5 / Ht2

Abilities:
Unimpeded
Impossible to Wound +1
Insatiable - At the start of this model's activation, if an enemy model has less Wounds than their Wd stat is within 10", this model adds +3 to their Cg stat until the end of the turn, and may push 3" towards the nearest enemy model in LoS
Hyperphagia - When a model is killed or sacrificed within 4", this model may be placed in base contact before removing it, and heals 2 Wounds.

Actions:

(1) Craving's Bane (Ml 6:crow / Rst: Df / Rg: :melee2): Target suffers 2/4/6 damage. If the target has less Wounds than their Wd stat, this Action gains :+fate on the Attack flip.

Would be nice to have a trigger that gives the target a condition that grants Hard to Kill to all Gaki as long as they remain within 8" of it.

Not sure where else it'd go.

• Like 3

I am creating my Master based on the Student of Sinew, Student of Steel, and Student of Viscera. Hopefully that counts :P

Graduated with Horrors (Instead of Honors.... get it? ....sorry....)

Professor Albus Von Schtook
DF4:tome   WP6  WD10  WK4  CG -  HT2  Cache 3

Living, Academic, Master

Abilities:
Walking the halls: When this model completes a walk action another friendly Academic model within 6 inches may take a (1) Tactical action.
Df/Wp  :maskBack to class! :After an enemy model resolves a (claw) action against this model you may push the enemy model up to 4 inches in any direction. 
School Dues Paid When an Academic model within  6 is reduced to 0 wounds due to a condition this model adds a soulstone to its soulstone pool. 

Attack Actions
(1) Breakthrough Lecture (Ca6 / Rst: Wp / Rg: 10): Target suffers 2/3/4 Damage. This action gains +1 :tome against models with the Construct Characteristic. This action gains +1:crow against models with the Undead Characteristic. 
  :tome“Ah - A late Enrollment for the semester!”: After flipping Moderate or Severe damage the model gains the following condition until the end of the game: Enrolled: This model has the Academic Characteristic. 
  :tome:crow“This Lecture is hardly free....” After damaging an enemy model the target gains the following condition until the end of the turn for each :tome in the duel total: Fees +1: After completing an Attack Action which dealt damage to another model, this models suffers +1 Damage. 
  :crow“Perhaps an additional assignment would help….” After damaging take the same action again against the target. This action may not declare triggers.  

Tactical Actions
(1) “A meticulous demonstration….” (Ca 6 / Tn 14 ) All friendly Academic Models within :pulse 6 may push up to 4 inches in any direction. 
   :tome“….Of how the Flesh is weak” After completing all pushes all friendly Constructs that were moved as a result of this action gain the following condition until the end of turn: Armor +2

:crow“….Of how the Spirit is willing” After completing all pushes all friendly Undead that were moved as a result of this action gain the following condition until the end of turn: Regeneration +2

:tome:crow“….Of the knowledge learned at our fair University” After completing all pushes all friendly models with both the Undead and Construct Characteristics that were moved as a result of this action gain the following condition until the end of turn: Fast

(0) “Now demonstrate what you have learned” Until the end of the turn all other Friendly Academic models within line of sight of this model gain :tome  to all flips against Constructs and :crow to all flips against Undead.

Upgrades

School Pride (Cost 2)
When another friendly Academic model kills an enemy model with an Attack Action, if this upgrade is attached to Professor Albus Von Schtook, you may Discard two cards. If you do not, Discard this upgrade from Professor Albus Von Schtook and attach it to the attacking friendly model, regardless of restrictions. 
While this Upgrade is attached to Professor Albus Von Schtook, the model gains the following Tactical Action:
Tactical Actions
(0) The Transmortis Alma Mater (Ca 6 / TN 12): All Friendly Academic models within :pulse 6 heal 1/2/3

While this Upgrade is attached to a model other than Professor Albus Von Schtook, the model gains the following abilities:
Loan Pardon This model may discard this upgrade at the end of its activation to heal an amount of damage equal to the value of its In Debt for Life condition and reduce the Condition by 1. If this upgrade is discarded this way attach it to a friendly Professor Albus Von Schtook.
Regeneration +1 
Hard to Kill

Student Adviser (Cost 1)
This model gains the following trigger to all of its Attack Actions:
   :maskThis way, please, this way: after resolving push another friendly Academic model within 6 inches up to 4" in any direction. 

Foreign Exchange Program (Cost 1)
This model may hire up to four Academic models from outside its declared faction. Models hired this way gain the Undead and Construct Characteristics and lose the Living Characteristic. 

Classroom Environment (Cost 1)
This model gains the following Attack Action:

(1)Laboratory Tools (Ml 5 / Rst: Df/ Rg: :melee1) Target suffers 2/3/4 Damage ignoring Armor

:crow Transmutation of Life: After damaging the target gains the Undead Characteristic until end of turn. 

:tome Transmutation of Flesh After damaging the target gains the Construct Characteristic until end of turn. 

:ram "It's Pronounced Von Schtook!": After damaging take this action again. This action may not declare triggers.

All friendly Academic models within :aura6 gain the following Ability:

Df/Wp:tome Flash of inspiration: After resolving draw a card.

Free from the Bonds of life (Cost 2) [Limited]
This model gains the following Tactical Action:
Tactical Actions
(1) A New Student for our fair school! (Ca 4 / TN * / Rg: 6)
Target a friendly model. Name a Ressurectionist Minion. The TN of this duel is equal to 10 :crow:crow plus the cost of the named minion. This action gains +1Ca for each WD remaining on the target model. Summon the named model in base contact with the target model. The Summoned model comes into play with the following Condition: In Debt for Life +4: At the end of this model's activation it suffers damage equal to this condition's value and then increase this condition by 1. This damage cannot be Prevented, Reduced, or Ignored. Sacrifice the target model. The Summoned model gains the Undead characteristic for the remainder of the game. 

Free from the Bonds of flesh (Cost 2) [Limited]
Tactical Actions
(1) A New Student for our fair school! (Ca 4 / TN * / Rg: 6)
Target a friendly model. Name an Arcanist Minion. The TN of this duel is equal to 10:tome:tome plus the cost of the named minion. This action gains +1Ca for each WD remaining on the target model. Summon the named model in base contact with the target model. The Summoned model comes into play with the following Condition: In Debt for Life +4: At the end of this model's activation it suffers damage equal to this condition's value and then increase this condition by 1. This damage cannot be Prevented, Reduced, or Ignored. Sacrifice the target model. The Summoned model gains the Construct characteristic for the remainder of the game. 

Thank you to @Fancy_Hatand @AverageGatsby for looking this over for me prior :)

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

A Resser/Arcanist with a hate for Leveticus.

Construct/Undead buffer, Support where Levi exploits.

Comes with Necropunks

Can hire in 2 M&SU Construct Minions (a la Hoffman but restricted)

Can give a Construct the "Undead" Keyword or Undead the "Construct" keyword by Amalgamation, either via Condition or Upgrade.

It Lives!: damage an Undead and give it Fast. Trigger if target is also a Construct Push.

My Greatest Creation! Once per activation give an undead/construct a condition for +damage or [+] or similar until end of turn.

Feedback Loop: can take damage to mitigate damage on construct/undead, in a small aura.

No summons, though his Totem/Enforcer, a young gentleman with a sword and pnumatic legs, can summon Necropunks.

• 3 weeks later...

Resser/Neverborn dual faction

The game is "missing" some kind of Vampire. A Neverborn/Resser would fit that at best.

Some Resser who got the black blood granted like Angel Eyes or something.

He can special Hire Showgirl minions and have interactions with them. You know... like Dracula and his girls.

He can feast on enemy blood or Showgirl Blood to regenerate.

On 08/01/2017 at 5:33 AM, Lord Malkom said:

The game is "missing" some kind of Vampire. A Neverborn/Resser would fit that at best.

I actually created something like that way back in 1st edition. Managed to find it and updated it:

General storyline (finer details not worked out):

Charlotte Eville was a good person...once. Earthside, they called her 'vampire' and cast her out from society. When the breach was first opened, she jumped at the chance to go through. A new beginning, a new life, a new outlook. It was everything she wanted and more. She was respected instead of shunned for her abilities, and granted a plentiful supply of donated blood to feed upon.

When the incident that closed the breach happened, she somehow managed to survive the massacre. However, upon returning to and exploring the streets of Malifaux, she couldn't find a single living soul. Within a few days, she began to grow hungry, and realised that if she wanted to survive, there was only one option.

Feed on the natives.

The blood was foul-tasting but filling enough, but over time it began to...twist her. She began to resent the living, then to hate them. The Natives of the land came to know of her existence, and took to hiding themselves at night in fear of her. Eventually, her negative emotions took over, manifesting themselves in nearby creatures, turning them into manifestations of her twisted mind.

Upon the re-opening of the breach, Charlotte, devoid of all that made her who she was before, had only one thing on her mind...feeding time.

Charlotte Eville

Master, Undead - SS Cache: 2 - (30mm base)

Df: 6, Wp: 8, Wd: 9, Wk: 6, Cg: 8, Ht: 2

Abilities

Drain Life: After killing a model with an Ml action, this model makes a 2/3/4 Healing flip.

Impossible to Wound +1: Damage flips against this model suffer -. Damage fllips against this model may not be cheated.

Red Fever: This model suffers 1 damage which may not be reduced or prevented at the end of its activation, unless it killed another model during its activation.

Terrifying (Neverborn) 12: Enemy Neverborn models must pass a TN 12 Horror Duel to end a Walk or Charge Action within this models engagement range, or target this model with an action.

Attack Actions:

(1) Eternal Agony (Ml 7Crow / Rst: Df / Rg: claw2) Target suffers 2/4/6 damage that cannot be reduced

Trigger: Crow/Crow Drain Essence: This models Drain Life healing flip recieves a +.

(1) Tear Soul (Ml: 5Crow / Rst: Wp / Rg: claw2) Target enemy suffers 1/2/4 damage. If target is killed by this action, summon 1 Seishin into base contact with target model before it is removed from play. Then, this model suffers 1 damage which cannot be reduced or prevented whether this attack was successful or not.

Trigger: Crow/Crow Drain Essence: This model’s Drain Life healing flip receives a +.

Tactical Actions:

(1) Nightmares Made Real: (Ca 7c / TN: 16c / Rst: - / Rg: 6) Target any other friendly model without a Manifestation upgrade attached. Attatch 1 upgrade with the Manifestation restriction to the target model, ignoring all restrictions for attatching upgrades at the start of the game. Then, this model suffers 1 damage which may not be reduced or prevented

(0) Unleash the Swarm (Ca 7Crow / TN: 12Crow/Crow / Rst: - / Rg: 6) Summon 1 Night Terror within range and LoS, and reduce it's wounds to 0 (ignoring Hard to Kill). This model may then take up to 2 damage which cannot be reduced or prevented to heal the summoned model 2wd per damage taken.

Upgrades:

Cost 2: One with the Shadows

(1) Dissipate (Ca 6c / TN: 15cm / Rst: - / Rg: C) This model suffers 1 damage which may not be reduced or prevented. Place a 30mm marker in base contact with this model then Bury it. This model returns to play anywhere within 1” of this marker at the end of the turn.

Cost 1: Blademaster

This model gains the following Stat trigger:

Df (m) Parry: After succeeding, the attacking models activation ends immediately.

Cost 1: Nocturnal Servants

(1) Made Flesh: Until the end of the turn, all Night Terror models within (Aura)6 lose the Insignificant and Incorporeal abilities.

Cost 1: Spite

This model gains the following Ability:

Spiteful Curse: Whenever this model receives a condition from an enemy model, It may suffer 1 Wd to apply the same condition to that model.

Restrictions: Manifestation, Rare 1.

Cost 1: Malevolence

Malevolent Curse: Whenever this model takes damage from an enemy models attack action, the attacking model suffers 1 damage that cannot be reduced.

Restrictions: Manifestation, Rare 1.

Cost 1: Malice

Malicious Curse: Enemy models within (Aura)6 of this model must discard a card when declaring an attack action, or the action suffers a - flip.

Cost 1: Hatred

Abhorrence: Attack actions made by this model gain a + flip.

Probably needs more work, but meh. Rate the concept, not the execution!

• Like 2