Welcome to The Other Side!

Lucidicide

I find it hard to justify spending money on any game system, and Malifaux is the only one I play....but I think I will invest in the kickstarter.  Having a real hard time deciding on the army!

Abyssinian have the coolest models IMO, elite troops.  Only thing that steers me away from them is that I'm not sure I want to keep getting out-activated again.  Gibbering Hordes solve that problem, they're my least favourite sculpts though.

The UK mob, forgot their name....look good.  Looks like a fairly basic playstyle.  shoot stuff, it does, win the game.  Again, all my masters are largely single-minded, so not sure if I want more variation.  That may well make them one of the easier ones to play.  Stand back, shoot.

CBM....hard to get a measure of what these guys are going to play like.  Seriously stumped!

I'll probably go commander level (because there's no way I'll justify buying a Titan later - and commander has more freebies than the basic level). 

The freebies (units, not so much the other bits) are what is really selling the KS as good value.

I was a little concerned about the Titan - the presence of these giant models in WH40K and WM leads to a number of complaints (I don't play myself, just stuff I've picked up on forums, so others on here may disagree) - some complaints that those who can actually afford those models win all the games.  So I had a concern this game could go that way.....but I also know that Wyrd are highly in touch with the community and make big efforts to keep Malifaux balanced and respond to the community, so I trust Wyrd enough to believe that the Titan won't be an issue.  Knowing this company I daresay that if you don't have one it won't really be a problem.

so I'm definitely interested, just need to pick a side!  Hard picking without really knowing how they player, you never want to pick the ones that may have a playstyle incompatible with yourself, or a boring playstyle, or play too closely to your own malifaux crew.

I've never actually played an army sized game before either.

The Cult is really cool, I love the models, but from past experience with larger scale games (these days its really only skirmish games, Malifaux, for me), it can be difficult to paint a large number of unique troops quickly. If the Cult models were for Malifaux and I'd only need 8-10 or so for a game, I would happily lavish time on painting them. Painting units where every single model is individually unique is going to look amazing but also be a lot more work.

One reason I'm leaning towards Gibbering Hordes primarily is that I'm confident in setting up assembly line approach, and each unit is going to be 9x of roughly the same looking monsters in different poses. Some of the others have a bit more opportunities for fun (Armored Whelks in particular I'm looking forward to painting the shells), but I feel like it'll be pretty straightforward. 

The Earth allegiances are also fairly straightforward to set up a painting system for, since most are in uniforms.

But the cult is just so unique! Its why I love it and also think I'd go crazy and never finish painting them.

If you want additional information on the game, and an overview of mechanics, the new Cheated Fates podcast  features an  interview about ToS. This episode just went live recently. Discussion contains numerous details, thoughts on community and play testing, as well as exclusive information about ways to win a match of The other Side.  Definitely check it out.  My kitchen is now spotless and my pledge increased.

@Phinnfrom KS update:

Syndicates work a bit like mercenaries in the game, their forces able to be hired out to certain Allegiances.

Thrace works for the Guild, which means she is able to be hired by any Earthside Allegiances (Abyssinia and King's Empire).

Binh Nguyen works for the Court of Two, which allows him to be hired by any Malifaux Allegiances (Cult of the Burning Man and Gibbering Hordes).

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

As much as I love the rules, aesthetic and storyline of TOS, I finally put my finger on what's been stopping me from backing the KS:

i was subconsciously expecting another tactical skirmish game (because i love Malifaux), yet this is a strategy wargame. 

So there is the different feel, different playstyle and triple the cost to play which ultimately scares me off. 

Which is a shame, since I loved the Cult's mechanics and the Lord of Steel's model and rules. 

Which, in turn, brings me to a further question:

are we going to see TOS fluff and TOS-related characters in Malifaux? From what I gather, Dreamer has witnessed the Gibbering Hordes attacking London and Kirai got into bed with the Court of Two, but are there going to  be actual Malifaux models with pure TOS flavour? I'd love to see some Raving Madmen on the table who aren't just another soldier on the bigger field. And the Lord of Steel, obviously, but I know I'm not getting that. 

It's on the website that the game won't be compatible to Malifaux (because it's an entirely different game), but maybe there will be models with two sets of stat cards for the two games? All the smaller Commander models just scream to be adapted for Malifaux use. 

Anyway, just wanted to share an epiphany I had about TOS and provide a counter-argument to people who say it's too expensive or too simplistic or too <insert rant subject here>, because it isn't. 

• Like 1

Well I'd be surprised if we didn't hear the Arcanists gleefully talking about how the Guild's in a rough spot Earthside, although it doesn't sound like their grip of Malifaux itself is any weaker.  I have no doubt there's going to be some repercussions of everything rippling into Malifaux, at least in a "hey, did you hear this?" sort of way.

4 hours ago, Wlokk said:

It was talked about somewhere in the kickstarter updates, court of two can be hired by any malifaux factions and guild can be hired by any earth factions. They dont seem to be as loose as mercs but work in a similar way it seems.

This is part of the developing storyline that I am following with great interest...I know that from the get go Wyrd have said the two games are stand alone even though they share the same universe and fair enough it's their game so their rules....and the two different base sizes is a guarantee of that....BUT...the greater the connection between the two then the more interest I have for TOS

On a visual level alone The Infiltrators plus most of Burning Man Cult could easily be imagined flickering at the edges of Malifaux

• Like 1

Cult seems to be winning me over. Not to the point of dropping Hordes, but to the point of considering upping to dual commander. At the pledge manager stage I was planning on adding Horomatangi and two units for Hordes, which will simply change to Horomatangi and a unit for each.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Parker Barrows said:

Nope. You get what you get.

Pretty sure I've seen it in the Kickstarter comments.

The Doomseekers are awesome. Glory for the Burning Man!

The Armoured Whelks are pretty sweet too! Good thing I'm getting both!

For Malifaux! 

• Like 1