Gremlin skin wash

glacius

• 4 weeks later...

When I first did the gremlin models I used Biel-tan Green shade from GW, and the results are decent if you like that more aggressive GW style of shading/highlighting.  The biggest issue is that it will lack any warmth which usually really helps skin shadows (even green).

I think Vallejo model washes are nice too but havent tried any of the greens.

The Gremlins tend to be pretty tiny, so any wash should be targeted unless you dont mind tinting the bright skin.

Honestly though nowadays I would really recommend checking out some basic videos on doing flesh with layering instead of using washes... It really does look a lot nicer in my opinion, and was fun to learn.

Good luck!

• 1 year later...

I use a wash of Reikland flesh shade and lahmian medium 50/50 and leave it only in the deepest recesses. It just adds a small amount of soft shadow but not the stark shadows you get with non diluted wash. I then layer up all the skin apart from the deepest recesses in paints. I moved completely away from washing faces now and only paint those in layers of watered paint. I personally find faces look far more realistic in layered paint with no wash.

It depends on the skin tone that you are looking for, but red/violet colours are a great option. I'm using druchi violet (GW) or Crimson Carroburg (GW) for the shades. I attach a couple of examples about the result. Moreover, yellow or orange are better color options for highligths instead of white.

27355813_1560067217375328_5641318804534665349_o.jpg

27164972_1560067367375313_8829243817966003321_o.jpg

• Like 1