UK Masters - 21/22nd January - Coalville

Clousseau

This is a 16 player invitational tournament for the top ranked players in the UK. Invitations will be sent to the top 16 ranked players as of 1st December, and then progressively down the rankings if those invited can't make or are too scared of the opposition!

Entry is free, costs being covered by a standard tournament running alongside this event each day (so encourage your friends to attend them please).

This event is being run jointly by myself and Mythic Fox, and he will be handling the pre-event admin for this event. To speed up the invitation process can we ask that the current 25 top ranked players provide their email address to James via PM before the end of November, or advise him that they won't be available. Once we have 16 confirmed players we will make a draw for the 4 groups of players and then make this available via the Arcane reservoir podcast as well as on here and facebook.

This will be fixed faction using GG 2017.

Rulespack: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/12083335/UK Masters EA LOEH Rules Pack '16.pdf

Venue: Newbridge High School, Coalville, LE67 3SJ

Note that masters is 50ss fixed faction, declared on the day.  Players will be organised into four pools of four players each, drawn in advance. The first and last four players will be seeded so they are each in a different pool.  On day one players will play round robin in their pool, with the best two finishers in each advancing to day two.  On day two players will play single elimination until we have a UK master for 2016.  In the event of draws on day two the tie breaker will be based on previous rounds scoring.

Masters list is complete.  

Your 2016 UK Malifaux masters players are:

1. Mark Elwood (2016 Nationals Winner),
  2. Jamie Varney (R02),
  3. Martin Jones (R03),
  4. Joel Henry (R04),
  5. Craig M Johnson (R06),
  6. Lucas Rozanski (R07),
  7. Graham Bursnell (2015 UK Master),
  8. George Hollingdale (R10),
  9. Matt Lewin (R12),
  10. Paul Butler (R13),
  11. Ant Hoult (R14),
  12. Rich Bream (R17),
  13. Lewis Phillips (R18),
  14. Luke Cocksedge (R19),
  15. John Burgess (R20),
  16. Dave Laing (R21)

Congratulations to all of them.

A note on drop outs;  Should people now drop from the event before pools are drawn then players will 'move up' and a reserve will be added in at 16th place. Once the draw for pools has occurred reserves will replace the dropping player in their pool.  Once the first round of the event has begun then dropouts will not be filled. 

Reserve: Connor Rooney (in side events).

• Like 2

Just a reminder that if you believe you qualify for masters (or are likely to) you can decline or accept your ticket in advance by contacting me with your email address or other preferred contact details.  This will save a load of admin my end, and make sure you don't miss out on a seat if one is open to you.

The turn around time for accepting a seat will be quick so please make every effort to think about this now.

Qualification criteria;  http://themostexcellentandawesomeforumever-wyrd.com/topic/114792-uk-masters-qualification-2016-season/

With one more weekend of play to go current Masters standings are here;    http://www.malifaux-rankings.com/#/masters

• Like 4

• 4 weeks later...

For those of you who haven't listened to the live draw, here are the four pools for day 1's round robin.

Masks

• Mark Elwood - Neverborn
  • George Hollingdale - Arcanist
  • Rich Bream
  • Luke Cocksedge - Neverborn

Crows

• Jamie Varney - Ressers
  • Ant Hoult - Ressers
  • Matt Lewin - Guild
  • Lewis Phillips - Guild

Tomes

• Martin Jones
  • Craig M Johnson - 10 Thunders
  • Paul Butler
  • John Burgess - Neverborn

Rams

• Joel Henry
  • Graham Bursnell
  • Lucas Rozanski - Gremlins
  • Dave Laing

Listen to the draw and our predictions on the Arcane reservoir podcast https://www.facebook.com/ArcaneReservoir/?fref=ts

Can everyone let me know what faction you are planning to use? Doing some planning for the event over the break and it would help me out with something.

On Saturday, December 24, 2016 at 10:36 AM, Clousseau said:
  • Can everyone let me know what faction you are planning to use? Doing some planning for the event over the break and it would help me out with something.

I will be playing the Yokai, there will be other stuff but mainly it will be monkeys, so many monkeys.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Hey guys,

I just noticed that this will be using GG17. Is there any particular reason for the 2016 masters to be using the following year's schemes? I didn't get to see them at all before release, so I'd feel bad giving my opponents who may or may not have had more practise with them (personally I've played one game with the new schemes) a terrible game as I struggle to keep up with what's going on.

Possibly less than a month's notice to read, learn and practise a mostly new set of schemes might be too little?

I realise that there's expectations of us, being that we've qualified for this event in the first place, but I'm worried that my games at least will be a lot less fun for both players as I spend loads of time reading schemes, getting things wrong a lot and not having much clue what's going on as a result.

Cheers,

Dave

• Like 2

Hi Dave,

Thanks for the feedback. I can certainly understand the sentiment, and it is something that was thought through in some detail. GG17 will be the current document at the time the event is held, and therefore would be the default pack to use.  Now there's certainly merit to the view that as people qualified for the event playing GG16 then using those rules for the event would make sense.  

My view is this is mitigated by the January errata being in effect, this means we'd already be using rules other than those in place during the 2016 season.  So either way we won't be using the same rules people qualified with.

Masters players would also have to choose between practising GG16 for this event, and GG17 for other upcoming events.  I'd rather not ask people to sacrifice weeks learning the objectives they'll be using for the whole of their 2017 season if they want to practice for masters.

I also think it's better to 'eat the frog' and just get on with 2017.  I don't think the community benefits as a whole dragging out getting started with the new pack. It's here, let's use it.

That being said I understand some people will feel differently.

- James

That's a fair sentiment. I'll do what I can to practise with the new schemes, but I'll apologise in advance now to my opponents for getting things wrong a lot and potentially getting grumpy at myself for all the mistakes I make.

As a compromise, will the new schemes be available in hard copy for the players on the day? I don't currently have access to a printer, wont get the new scheme cards before the 21st, the Crewfaux app isn't quick enough to read them from in my liking, compared to cards/a sheet of paper, and using my phone for referencing them in general will inevitably lead to an empty battery in round three or something like that.

As far as I'm concerned (since I only saw the post that mentioned GG17 would be in effect today and that wasn't mentioned at all in the original documentation that I did read when it was posted), I've got two weeks to learn these things, so any and all help available on the day would be greatly appreciated to avoid potential frustrations.

• Like 1

Traditionally there's a 'Masters Meal' on the Saturday night of the event, open to everyone, where we all pile into a restaurant and eat too much.

Update:  We're booked in for 8:15 on Saturday 21st at http://www.imge.co.uk/. This is the same restaurant we used last year.  They have asked us to order in advance, so please DM me your orders / post them in this thread by Monday evening, along with any special dietary requirements you may have (menu on the website).  This is also the deadline for signing up. :) 

Signed up:

1. Me - Spicy Turkish Sausage (Sucuk), Imge Lamb (Kofte), Garlic Bread
  2. David B - Kofte, Tuvuk Shish
  3. Judith B - Mucver followed, Imge Chicken
  4. Insidiously Mad - Aubergine Salad (Saksuka) Mixed Chargrill Feast for two (Lux Karisik)
  5. Philippa - Aubergine Salad (Saksuka), main shared with Insidiously Mad.
  6. Connor Truby - Melon, Imge Lamb
  7. Ant Hoult - Feta Cheese Triangles, Sea Bass
  8. Paul Butler - Spicy Sausage, Mixed Chargrill Yoghurt
  9. Luke Cocksedge - Spicy Turkish Sausage (Sucuk), Chargrilled Chicken (Tuvuk Beyti)
  10. Ben Sime - Feta cheese triangles (Muska Borek), Mixed Chargrill Yoghurt (Iskender)
  11. Tim Brown - Calamar, Tavuk Beyti
  12. Conor McNama  -  Squid Rings (Calmar), Chargrilled Chicken (Tavuk Beyti)
  13. Gitli  -  Squid Rings (Calamar), Mixed Chargrill Yoghurt (Iskender)
  14. KaiYoung -  Spicy Turkish Sausage (Sucuk), Chargrilled Chicken (Tuvuk Beyti)
  15. Jamie Clark - n/a, Chicken Shish Kebab (Tavuk Shish)
  16. Dave Laing - n/a, Shish Kebab
  17. Lewis Phillips - n/a, Pepper Steak
  18. Jamie (FW) - Tavuk Kofte, Mix Kebab (Karisik Kebab) 
  19. Matt (FW) - Fish Cakes with a creamy mango sauce, Entrecote Steak (Medium Rare if they ask)
  20. George (FW) - Vine Leaves, Chargrill Chicken and Chips
  21. Marcus - Hummus, Et Sote
  22. Ross Baker - n/a, Nuggets Chips & Garlic Bread
  23. Tim Britton - n/a, Swordfish
  24. Lukas - n/a, Chicken Shish Kebab + Chips
  25. Dave (SSSK) - n/a, Imge Lamb (Kofte)
  26. Pete Rees - Fried Goats Cheese, Special Lamb Cutlets
  27. Adam Hutchinson - Sultans Special Feast Deal - Fish Cakes in Mango Sauce, Char-grilled skewered lamb
  28. Mike Hutchinson - Fish Cakes (Balik Kofte), Mixed Chargrill Yoghurt (Iskender)
  29. Graham Bursnell - Fish Cakes (Balik Kofte),  Mixed Chargrill Yoghurt (Iskender)
  30. Tom Skitt - Fish Cakes, Et Sote (lamb)

EDIT: To be clear 'open to everyone' means everyone, including those in the side events. :) 

4 hours ago, mythicFOX said:

Traditionally there's a 'Masters Meal' on the Saturday night of the event, open to everyone, where we all pile into a restaurant and eat too much.

I'm looking to organize for this year.  If you're interested let me know ASAP please so I can get numbers.

Thanks.

Interested:

1. Me
  2. David B
  3. Insidiously Mad
  4. Philippa
  5. Austin Capewell
  6. Connor Truby
  7. Ant Hoult
  8. Paul Butler

is this also open to the guys and gals at side events if so I am keen, assuming @Gitli is up for it too.

• Like 1