Has anyone used clear bases for their crew?

bluepanther

I was thinking about using clear bases for my crew. My thoughts were that this way my models always woukd always go with the theme of the board. Has anyone done this? If so what are your thoughts? Also I feel like the plastic bases Wyrd sells would make gluing a bit easier but the acrylic would look a lot better; is that a fair assumption? 

Two unfortunate realities:

1.  Scratching, fogging and imperfections in the clear plastic.

2.  The edges of the base of the model need to be visible for playability.

The first makes it hard to do clear bases well, the second means that you (or the other player) are likely to regret it if you manage to do it well.

I mean, look at this picture and imagine trying to measure the distances between the various models, or see where the edges are from across the table.

30mm-clear.jpg?lr=t&bw=600&bh=600

Edit:  Also found pictures of someone mounting a Pandora crew on laser cut clear plastic:

http://therivetcounter.blogspot.com/2014_06_01_archive.html

• Like 1

I don't think measuring would be an issue. In what kind of situation would you need to see the edge of the base from across the table? Unless I'm missing something, the only time the precise location of the edge matters is when you're measuring it, and then you're staring right at it from half a meter away.

I don't personally like the effect at all, because I don't know what I'm supposed to make of it. Is the implication that there is no base at all, basically? then why is your model hovering above the table? Otherwise, why is the model floating on a transparent-ish disk? I much prefer the normal basing style because I just see it as part of the overall model, and somehow I can suspend my disbelieve much easier that way.

Anyway, if you like it - go right ahead, I don't think there will be an issue. People do it in Infinity, where bases are also quite important as models have restricted lines of sight and I've not heard any complaints there. Should be fine in Malifaux, I can't think of any issues. The bases aren't invisible enough to prevent accurate measuring, especially given that the very edge of a clear base is pretty much always going to have a shadow right under it, particularly when placed on a coloured gaming table.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Sordid Strumpet said:

I don't think measuring would be an issue. In what kind of situation would you need to see the edge of the base from across the table? Unless I'm missing something, the only time the precise location of the edge matters is when you're measuring it, and then you're staring right at it from half a meter away.

I don't personally like the effect at all, because I don't know what I'm supposed to make of it. Is the implication that there is no base at all, basically? then why is your model hovering above the table? Otherwise, why is the model floating on a transparent-ish disk? I much prefer the normal basing style because I just see it as part of the overall model, and somehow I can suspend my disbelieve much easier that way.

Anyway, if you like it - go right ahead, I don't think there will be an issue. People do it in Infinity, where bases are also quite important as models have restricted lines of sight and I've not heard any complaints there. Should be fine in Malifaux, I can't think of any issues. The bases aren't invisible enough to prevent accurate measuring, especially given that the very edge of a clear base is pretty much always going to have a shadow right under it, particularly when placed on a coloured gaming table.

It isn't supposed to look like they are hovering over the table. It's supposed ro like they are actually walking on the terrain. For example I was at an event this past weekend and someone had a table set up for the dreamer. It was like a child's play room, so in this instance if I had based my models with dirt and grass it doesn't look very well. It's  not a huge deal but I was just considering the clear option. 

4 hours ago, bluepanther said:

It isn't supposed to look like they are hovering over the table. It's supposed ro like they are actually walking on the terrain. For example I was at an event this past weekend and someone had a table set up for the dreamer. It was like a child's play room, so in this instance if I had based my models with dirt and grass it doesn't look very well. It's  not a huge deal but I was just considering the clear option. 

I know :) I'm just saying, it's a little bit abstract either way you look at it. Go with whatever look you like best ;)

You can always do one style of basing and if you decide you don't like it, change the bases later on.