Modifying The Arcane Emissary?

retnab

Hey all, so I've been wondering what to do with my Emissary for quite a while now.  I love the model but really dislike the blade arms (the fact that it has no hope of fitting in my foam doesn't help), so I'm thinking of just greenstuffing over where the second arms slot in.  Additionally, I found that if you have him stand on his right leg instead of his left he's way taller, but can actually fully fit on the base (front-back side anyways, he's still about 3" wide on the sides), as you can see in the pictures below.  Doing this, he'd be roughly 3" wide (sides), 2" wide (front-back), and 4.75" tall.  What does everyone think?  Does anyone else have any examples of things to do to make the Emissary a bit more reasonable on the base overhang?

IMG_20161106_193458_zpsvvitcpfb.jpgIMG_20161106_193423_zpssvfkxwvg.jpg

• Like 3

That looks good to me! Just prop the foot up inside whatever basing theme your crew uses. It could be stomping a person or fence or just running up to a raised sidewalk. You could also model the base as a slope.

I don't think reasonable base overhang or transport went into the design of these pieces at all. Since facing doesn't matter and the model is so tall you should be able to position it on the board without to much trouble as it is now.

• Like 1

Thanks!  I use gravel and rails for my bases (started with Mei Feng and liked it so much I did it for everyone), so I think I'll have him stepping over the bar.  When I get it finished up I'll post it on here.  The only thing that's going to be a bit tricky is it's more top heavy like this and the foot is going to be pretty far back on the base.  I think I'll probably have to pin the foot to the base for some more stability.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Okay, big update here!  I got the Emissary all done now, following the ideas I had above.  I greenstuffed over the shoulder spots for the second pair of arms (first time ever sculpting greenstuff so I had some sloppy detail work and a hint of a fingerprint, but it looks fine when primed and painted), got it all painted up (though I want to do a bit more energy detailing on the arms), and put on the base on the right leg so it's standing up more (I had to use a 1/8" brass rod though, no way glue was going to hold it up alone).  I think it turned out pretty good for a first attempt at greenstuff and such, and it fits into my 2" thick pluck foam very well!  Pics below, I'm pretty confident now that I like the Arcane Emissary more without the blade arms.

IMG_20161117_214031_zpszlii39w2.jpg

IMG_20161117_214051_zpsbpm6kkz9.jpg

• Like 3