What would you like to see for Gremlins?

Math Mathonwy

Some more kin... I was actually thinking some kin who are copying arcanist gunslingers could work.

I don't have Into the Bayou yet (waiting on the PDF) but the Bokor seems interesting, so something from there would work.

Giant Swampfiend Beast Wasps who poison people. This is Malifaux, where are my general giant bugs?!

A human or Gremlins henchman who is a student of the Fermented River and can give some kind of bonuses to other Gremlins in relation to that?

I love so many of these ideas!! 

The hypnotoad and the tri-chi spy particularly. 

I agree that there should be a ressers gremlin team. I keep picturing the cool mint bandit from mighty boosh with a zombie igor henchman (imitating sebastian). Some pig skeletons/zombies; one in Japanese armour imitating the ashigaru, one with a mohawk imitating punk zombies and one in a dog costume imitating canine remains. Any cool ideas for an enforcer? Not necessarily imitation I suppose but a flesh construct made of three gremlins would be my first go to.

It's harder to argue for an arcanist gremlin master as wong already exists and zipp has constructs. And arcanists are supposed to be intellectuals. But I would love one too. Maybe a mojo-jojo type brain boosted little guy(piglet even?!)! :D With a bunch of mentally boosted  swampfiend beast minions. Like the ms&u meets the beast master. 

Oh and is zipp not already good for sparks? Haven't see his rules yet...

We need more vodoo stuff. The only characters with that are Zoraida and Sammy, but theoricaly there's plenty of gremlins, and humans, dabbling with that magic in the lore.

Also more Tri Chi stuff, because there's really not a lot to choose from, and I never see any reason to take the Brewmaster's running tab.

• Like 1

If I had to choose 1 thing then it would be voodoo.  I love Brewmaster and want better options for him, but voodoo would expand our lore quite a bit, as well as adding the Resser option we're talking about.  Only problem with that is that voodoo zombies aren't really reanimated corpses.  Maybe a voodoo master that can mind control opponent models?  Not sure what kind of resources that would entail, but I'm not sure how to make a voodoo zombie work otherwise.  Unless it' s just some mindless gremlin that the master can summon.  Bayou Gremlins with hard to kill or something like that.  Ignoring pain to do their objective.

Maybe get summoned without slow and able to interact.  Can't be killed as long as they have a condition, but the condition ends at the end of the turn.  Like Flicker, except you can't extend it.  They ONLY last for 1 turn but can't be taken down, but very weak attacks.  Essentially just brought in to interact and go away.

We already have a voodoo Master in Zoraida. It's the voodoo Minions and Enforcers that we're missing.

Also, I don't think that new Masters are very likely all that soon (a new Faction seems more likely).

Edit: Oh, it occurs to me now that maybe you meant voodoo master as in a master of voodoo opposed to a Master who is all about voodoo. So a Henchman, for example. To accompany Sammy. Sure, why not.

• Like 1

Well I mean a master that focuses on it more.  Thematically Zoraida is voodoo, but she doesn't really feel like she uses it beyond the doll.  Maybe more synergy with it would help, but I think I'm pairing it with the zombie idea to make it an actual thematic reason why gremlins could use zombies in some form or another.  So I guess I shouldn't say that we need voodoo, and should instead say we need voodoo to be better represented.

5 hours ago, Four_N_Six said:

Well I mean a master that focuses on it more.  Thematically Zoraida is voodoo, but she doesn't really feel like she uses it beyond the doll.  Maybe more synergy with it would help, but I think I'm pairing it with the zombie idea to make it an actual thematic reason why gremlins could use zombies in some form or another.  So I guess I shouldn't say that we need voodoo, and should instead say we need voodoo to be better represented.

Well, she has curses, a voodoo doll, and possession/hypnosis style thing going on with the Obey so I would say that he covers all voodoo cliches other than zombies. But I'm not opposed to Gremlin zombies. In fact, I support them whole-heartedly. I just find it unlikely that a voodoo Master could be made that wouldn't step on Zoraida's toes. But maybe an Upgrade for Zoraida (and Sammy?) that would let her summon Gremlin zombies.

• Like 2

Just now, Math Mathonwy said:

Well, she has curses, a voodoo doll, and possession/hypnosis style thing going on with the Obey so I would say that he covers all voodoo cliches other than zombies. But I'm not opposed to Gremlin zombies. In fact, I support them whole-heartedly. I just find it unlikely that a voodoo Master could be made that wouldn't step on Zoraida's toes. But maybe an Upgrade for Zoraida (and Sammy?) that would let her summon Gremlin zombies.

I think you could do it without stepping on her toes if you went the route of Loa possession to go with the zombies. You could even have a Mah tucket chores kind of thing, but maybe they discard a card at the start of the turn to give an effect either to themselves or their crew. The voodoo doll does a pretty good job on Zoraida though of getting voodoo across.

It's fair to say that the Gremlins have been pretty firmly established as the "Deliverance" faction what with banjo players being an actual mod

That and they take what all the other factions do, and just take them to lunatic extremes, or do lunatic things with their beloved concepts. 

Som'er Teeth and Ulix seem to be the only 'pure' gremlins who do what gremlins do with no strange takes on other factions. 

The Brewmaster = Ten Thunders and their dedication to discipline and martial skill

Ophelia = Guild and their dependable tactics and reliable weapons turned to gremlins maiming themselves with exploding guns

Wong is clearly a humerous stab at the arcanists

Zipp seems to be his own thing too, but there's clearly a mockery of professional outcast mercenaries and the guild in there.

If one ignores Zoarida, then the Gremlins have only a one faction left to make fun of: Ressers.

Clearly, the next box set needs to be a team of Gremlin 'doctors' cast in the mold of McMourning and Grimwell. 

On 11.11.2016 at 2:18 PM, Four_N_Six said:

If I had to choose 1 thing then it would be voodoo.  I love Brewmaster and want better options for him, but voodoo would expand our lore quite a bit, as well as adding the Resser option we're talking about.  Only problem with that is that voodoo zombies aren't really reanimated corpses.  Maybe a voodoo master that can mind control opponent models?  Not sure what kind of resources that would entail, but I'm not sure how to make a voodoo zombie work otherwise.  Unless it' s just some mindless gremlin that the master can summon.  Bayou Gremlins with hard to kill or something like that.  Ignoring pain to do their objective.

Maybe get summoned without slow and able to interact.  Can't be killed as long as they have a condition, but the condition ends at the end of the turn.  Like Flicker, except you can't extend it.  They ONLY last for 1 turn but can't be taken down, but very weak attacks.  Essentially just brought in to interact and go away.

How about a voodoo zombie that replaces any other gremlins model? Sacrifice target gremlins to summon a zombie gremlins... Should be slow, tough and dumb, and maybe mostly be beneficial targeting half-deaf gremlins...

Or possibly bury target gremlins to summon voodoo zombie gremlins, zombie lasts 1 turn (trigger for another), when it dies the original pops back out. Would allow for a different kind of summoning, where you could summon extra ap/activations while protecting your crew, but not add extra models to swarm the board.

I feel like this could very much be a new limited upgrade for Zoraida rather than a new master though...

If we are to get a new master I would like to see a dual faction master, probably gremlin-arcanist or something, but the tri-chi, swamp fiend and voodoo sub-factions/themes could use a few new models as far as I'm concerned...

• Like 2

I don't see why you can't combine the idea of a Gremlin Voodoo Doctor / Advanced Taxidermist kind of in the same vein as Dr Ned from Borderlands. Basic idea is a support master that makes friendly models harder to kill, but also has the taxidermist ability to cause explosions. 

Doktor Meeelow

DF: WP: WD: 12 Wk: 6 CG: 6 Ht: 1

Abilities

Armor +1: Reduce all damage suffered by this model by +1, to a minimum of 1

Bayou Two Card: This model may Cheat Fate with the top card of its Fate Deck.

You call that an explosion?: This model is immune to damage caused by :pulse effects

Attack Actions

(1) Hide Scrapin' Knife (MI 6:crow / Rst: DF / Rg: :melee1): Target suffers 2/3/4 damage.

:crow Skinned: While damaging an enemy model, the damage flip gains + and a Corpse Marker is placed in base contact with the target.
:crow:crowGood 'un For My Collection: After killing a non-Peon enemy model, summon a Stuffed Piglet into base contact with the model before removing it from play. The model does not drop Corpse or Scrap Markers.

Tactical Actions

(1) Everything goes boom (Ca 7 / TN: 12 / Rg 8): Push target corpse marker up to 4" in any direction. Afterwards all models within :pulse3 must pass a TN 13 Df duel or suffer 2 damage that can't be reduced.

(1) This will make you better (Ca 7 / Tn: 12 / Rg 6): Friendly minion or enforcer model gains 1 Imrpovement? upgrade ignoring the usual restrictions of attaching upgrades. 

:ram: Before attaching the upgrade target model heals 2 Wd

:crow: All enemy models in :pulse3 of target model must make a Tn 13 horror duel

:tome: Target model can immediately take an interact action

:mask: Target model gains Fast

Upgrades

Why does it shamble faster?

Restrictions: Improvement?

Cost 0

This upgrade may not be purchased at the start of the game. When this upgrade is attached target model gains +3 zombified Wd. When those zombified Wd are removed, remove this upgrade from the model. Until the zombified Wd are removed all damage and healing effects will only affect the Zombified Wd and not the model's normal Wd track. If an ability would sacrifice this model or discard it as an corpse marker remove this upgrade instead. 

I feel slightly funky: This model loses the living characteristic and gains the undead characteristic. For friendly abilities it also counts as a corpse marker.

Blazing speed: This model gains +1 Wk and +2 Cg

Why won't you die?

Cost 0

This upgrade may not be purchased at the start of the game. When this upgrade is attached target model gains +3 zombified Wd. When those zombified Wd are removed, remove this upgrade from the model. Until the zombified Wd are removed all damage and healing effects will only affect the Zombified Wd and not the model's normal Wd track. If an ability would sacrifice this model or discard it as an corpse marker remove this upgrade instead. 

I feel slightly funky: This model loses the living characteristic and gains the undead characteristic. For friendly abilities it also counts as a corpse marker.

Undead regen: At the start of this models activation it heals 1 zombified Wd

Harder to Kill:  While this model has 2 or more zombified Wd remaining when it suffers damage, it may not be reduced to below 1 zombified Wd.

Shorting out

Cost 0

Ignore the Ticking: At the end of this models activations all models in :pulse2 suffer 2 damage and this model suffers 1 damage

• Like 1

I'd like to see another upgrade for each master, just to keep them fresh. 

A sickly looking, trash eating pig. Able to eat/ remove corpse/ scrap markers. Doesn't suffer damage from poison. Blast resistant because it's so bloated. 

In short, a pig that has a good chance at being used with most masters

• Like 1

On 11/17/2016 at 7:34 AM, wizuriel said:

I don't see why you can't combine the idea of a Gremlin Voodoo Doctor / Advanced Taxidermist kind of in the same vein as Dr Ned from Borderlands. Basic idea is a support master that makes friendly models harder to kill, but also has the taxidermist ability to cause explosions. 

I would say for a resser/gremlin insane doctor/taxidermist master he should have two main tactical abilities, one that does damage and grants questionable buffs, and one that heals and grants obvious debuffs. 

Little concept :

Gremlin Lawyers- Gremlins have their own laws. But who judge right or wrong?

Besides, more control minions is  good for many Masters. 

Iron Skeeter  Recruiters-Captain Zipp always needs more crews. So he trains some henchmen for kidnapping!

Bury enemy and then use their action. Also buff friendly  sky pirates nearby.

Gremlin Draugr:No matter what the cause, a few gremlins returns from grave.Unlike human, they enjoy their death. Except  one problem, moonshine can't get them drunk.

So they begin to gathering ingredients for the new shine, including powder, mouse, black blood, Brilliance and more.

Whenever a Gremlin Draugr gains condition, this model can change that condition to poison condition. Although this model isn't immune to poison condition, it gains one ability counting on how many Poison +1 on itself.

1~2 Reckless 

3~4 Blood Price 

5+ Explosive Demise

• 2 weeks later...

Well I could see a LeBlanc Crew box, as the survivors are from the LeBlanc Family and the LeBlanc Family is known to have learned to use Technology coming from something called the Red Cage, so I could see LeBlanc Family member gone Mad Scientist and done experiments on, Pigs, Roosters/Chickens, Gremlins, and other creatures.

Personally I would like to see some Gremlin Pirates, not sky pirates but like ships that is on the water pirates, the Tong Family would fit that role I think... maybe.

18 hours ago, SnakeoilSage said:

This idea came to me recently, after watching House of 1000 Corpses. Why are there no hillbilly psycho gremlins? Or a gremlin version of Rob Zombie and some of his more memorable performance characters like his wife Sherri Moon and Captain Spaulding from House?

Taking a throw-back to the old movies like The Hills Have Eyes would actually be great.  Seems like you'd want that to be a dual faction, though.  The first thought would be Outcast.  I'll have to ponder this over in regards to what the crew would really be doing, but thematically this is my new favorite idea.  I still like a Voodoo Resser style character, but having another melee master would be phenomenal.

In The Hills Have Eyes, the family is not only cannibalistic, but extremely adept at melee combat, while avoiding or shrugging off gunfire.  Probably something with Bulletproof +2.  Maybe a modified version of Perfect Camouflage, where it isn't lost after activating.

Definitely, definitely, definitely stealth.  Maybe some type of bury mechanic where they pop out during an attack to do a bunch of damage, hit a trigger to re-bury.

Oh, and the family needs to be humans living in the bayou.  Much creepier if they're just a messed up family living among gremlins that eat people.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Four_N_Six said:

Taking a throw-back to the old movies like The Hills Have Eyes would actually be great.  Seems like you'd want that to be a dual faction, though.  The first thought would be Outcast.  I'll have to ponder this over in regards to what the crew would really be doing, but thematically this is my new favorite idea.  I still like a Voodoo Resser style character, but having another melee master would be phenomenal.

In The Hills Have Eyes, the family is not only cannibalistic, but extremely adept at melee combat, while avoiding or shrugging off gunfire.  Probably something with Bulletproof +2.  Maybe a modified version of Perfect Camouflage, where it isn't lost after activating.

Definitely, definitely, definitely stealth.  Maybe some type of bury mechanic where they pop out during an attack to do a bunch of damage, hit a trigger to re-bury.

Oh, and the family needs to be humans living in the bayou.  Much creepier if they're just a messed up family living among gremlins that eat people.

I like your ideas, definitely a Gremlin Crew. I can see them bringing grems and pigs as distractions while they sneak around grabbing people. 

My own ideas were more firmly Rob Zombie/House of 1000 Corpses/Devil's Rejects themed.

So we have Jimmy Ghoul, the murderous circus/goth/hillbilly/psycho ringmaster/heavy metal rockstar. Armed with a steampunk electric guitar and his own rage, he's a Gremlin/Ressurectionist who brings a lot of noise to the party; he can enthrall an opponent's constructs and undead, or buff his own. 

His totem/girlfriend is Cherry Ghoul, after Rob Zombie's wife Sherri Moon Zombie. She's a mix of hillbilly-psycho and cheerleading stripper, the trashier the better. 

His henchman is The Captain, a greasepainted penguin inspired by House of 1000 Corpse's Captain Spaulding. He brings ranged firepower and incredibly foul language to the crew.

The enforcer is the Hog Rod, a "Dragula"-style roadster built with animated pig parts that can move on its own, transport characters and run down enemies.

Finally Jimmy's Ghoulish Groupies fill out the crew; gremlins who feast on the dead and have become undead headbangers drawn to Jimmy's undead-enthralling music. Groupies can "defile" corpse markers, and the more there are on the field the stronger Jimmy's music becomes.

The Drinkin' Bear; an alcoholic Slateridge Mauler that has grown fat and drunk off discarded casks and the toxic run off from abandoned stills.  Gremlins aren't known for sharing, but some of the cleverer locals discovered they could lure it out of the swamp with a freshly tapped keg then run the other way as it rampages drunkenly through their neighbour's backyard.  I picture it as looking something like Winnie the Pooh if he had rabies and hugging a giant keg instead of a pot of honey. 

At the start of the game, a friendly model gains the condition Freshly Tapped Keg, and if killed, drops a Keg marker that can be picked up or dropped with an interact action.  So long as the Keg bearer stays within 8" the bear pushes 4" towards it at the start of its activation.  However, should it ever end an activation in base with the Keg or its bearer, or if the keg moves beyond 8", it pretty much goes nuts and has to charge the closest legal target any time it activates for the rest of the game.

Also, Dempsey Leblanc from Ripples of Fate should be a model, because I want to see that hat.  :)

• Like 1