Reva Battle Reports from Netflix and Schill (50SS Tournament)

TheTrans

Hey Gang, I've written up some 'from memory' reports of a tournament that I played the other week, it got pretty boozy, so some of it is a little hazy.

It was a 50SS event down in Melbourne, Australia, run by the Red Jokers podcast (look them up they are great!!). 

Was an awesome event, the night time shenanigans where glorious and I managed to some how pull a win out of me arse (lets be honest, it was probably Reva).

I've written up the first 3 reports on my groups facebook page (https://www.facebook.com/thefauxbrauxs/) get over and give it a like ;). Also don't stress about any of the name calling as there was some very healthy banter and inter-team grudging and trash talking, so stress not. 

But I'll also pop them here for your perusal.

So, played a glorious tournament last weekend called Netflix and Schill, put on by the ever charming Red Jokers.

It was a singles tournament, but was also a team event which generally involved drinking, shenaniganry and all the trash talk.

I opted to use Reva both days, as the only other Resser master I have is McMorning and do not have the needed models to run his crew well. I’ll try and give a brief rundown of each game as best as I can remember, I’ll also be commenting on Reva’s power and perceived power level and how she deals with situations.

My Basic Reva list was
Reva (cache 4)

-Beyond Death

-Spare Parts (this went to Litany of the fallen if I was expecting Armour)

-Decaying Aura
Yin

-My Little Helper

Carrion Emissary

-My Little Helper
Phillip and the Nanny

-Haunting Cries

Shield Bearer
Shield Bearer

Necropunk

I will also apologise in advance if I get any names wrong, or anything with the games and their scoring wrong, as I was well drunk by the end of day 1.

Game 1
First up I had Byron, who was one of the Fuck Me Dead plebs (On of the team names, FMD from now on). We had a grudge happening and had thrown a lot of trash talk both backwards and forwards on the lead up to the game, so it was sure to be an absolute pearler.

The pool was as follows:

Strategy: Head Hunter

Schemes: Show of Force, Leave Your Mark, Neutralise the Leader, Frame for Murder, Convict Labour

Deployment: Standard

Byron opted out of taking filth and took Yan Lo.
Yan-Lo

-Variety of upgrades

Soul Porter
Toshiro

-Command the Graves

Chiaki the Niece

Izamu the Armour

Punk Zombie

Punk Zombie

Ashirgaru

I opted to take Neutralise the Leader and Show of Force. I also took Litany as I was expecting Yan/Izamu)
Byron took Frame for Murder and not quite sure what the other one was.

Turn 1

As usual on standard deployment, nothing very exciting happened.

Due to the way the board was, the Carrion Emissary Sharded off a choke point which really blocked up Byrons push.

Phillip started cycling cards, and I moved most of my forces up. Byron I believe booped an upgrade onto Yan Lo

Turn 2.
The Emissary popped MLH, and sharded up areas again, also blocking Izamu off from coming down on my weaker flank that involved Phillip, a Necropunk and a Shieldbearer.
The Emissary also got a punk zombe down to it’s HTK.
Yin also popped MLH and got Gnawing Fear off on both Yan Lo and Izamu.

Byron murdered my poor zombie from the first shard marker and got an Ashigaru up from the left over corpse. I believe he also made his full health punk zombie fast. Who then moved and charged the Shieldbearer on Revas left flank, it managed to knock it down to it’s “first death”.

At this point Reva came in swinging. She put 2 hits on the punk zombie, then finished it off with her (0) Life Drain. With her remaining AP she burnt a stone for a Tome and took a swing at an Ashigaru that had moved up and then proceeded to charge Chiaki, popping a corpse on the first shot for 4 damage, then a normal hit on the 2nd to finish her off.

The now fast Shieldbearer sauntered over and picked up a head.
So at the end of turn 2 was 2-0 my way.

Turn 3.

I get initiative.

At this point Byron had moved Yan-Lo up into attack range and also put Toshiro concerningly close to Reva.

Reva burns a stone for a Tome and has a punch at Toshiro, then “Satan’s Pinball”d (as I’ve seen it now called on the forums”) at Yan-Lo, who at this point was surrounded by corpse markers from zombies, corpse candles and some dismember triggers from the yoloing Shieldbearer that went after Izamu. So due to poor Yan-Lo still being at –ves to Wp duels, Reva punched him right in the will power. Byron did opt to use some stones for a straight flip and -ve to my damage(as he couldn’t damage prevent due to DA), but my hand was amazingly weighted due to Phillips cycling my hand so thoroughly. Cue 3 hits on Yan-Lo, each burning a corpse and doing the bare minimum 12 damage to put him down. 3 Points for Neutralise. Then, Reva put a single shot into Izamu as a why not, did 3 damage there due to Litany. She then (0) actioned out of harms way onto a nearby Corpse Candle that was placed to be 5” away from her ending charge point.

At his point Toshiro started smacking around the Carrion Emissary.

My Necropunk bolted from Izamu and grabbed another head.
was now 7-0 my way.

Turn 4
Top of turn 4 Reva killed a wounded Toshiro and finished off Izamu, who was Byron’s FfM target, netting him 2 points. At that point we called it there.

Ended up a 10-2.

So over all, win or lose it was a legit really enjoyable game playing with Byron. I also loved both our crews were modelled with snow bases and we were on a snow based board. It was really lovely to play faux with everything painted, it really added to it. Byron as much as it kills me inside to admit it was a great opponent and it was a bloody enjoyable game to be played, there was plenty of bullshitting, laughs, faked commiserations etc. Top Game!

So things that I learnt this game were:
Phillip and the Nanny’s card cycling, can be game winning, especially if you have a turn or two to build the hand up.
Things that I’ve known but got reiterated this game:
The ’Cuddled’ Decaying Aura is borderline broken on Reva.

Yin quite possibly is the devil, especially paired with Reva.

Shield Bearers stick around far longer than they have any right to.

Carrion Emissaries Shards can be game changers.

I may make this a 4-5 part series as I’ve written way more than a brief overview than I thought I would, so I will keep you updated.

Hope you enjoyed a small break from your boring old work day.

Game 2
Game 2 was against another of those FMD peasants a certain Tom.
This battle was going to be using headbutting over a very bayou-esque board, so there was severe terrain every where.
Out pool looked akin to this:

Game 2

Strategy: Interference

Schemes: Hunting Party, Leave Your Mark, Occupy Their Turf, Detonate the Charges, Convict Labour

Deployment: Close

So I picked Leave Your Mark and Detonate the Charges, young Tom opted for Occupy Their Turf and Leave your Mark.

I took:

Reva (cache 4)

-Beyond Death

-Spare Parts

-Decaying Aura
Yin

-My Little Helper

Carrion Emissary

-My Little Helper
Phillip and the Nanny

-Haunting Cries

Shield Bearer
Shield Bearer

Necropunk

Tom took, and this took me forever and a million questions, saying things like “What, wheres your beater?” “Ok so when does the Nothing Beast unbury?” “You’re bullshitting me, no big nasty?” That was all within a good 5 minutes, so apologies to Tom for that haha.
He was running (apologies if wrong as per usual)
Tara

-Spare Parts

-Eternal Journey (this was amazing in close deployment!!)

-Knowledge of Eternity

Karina

Scion of the Void

3x Crooligans

2x Void Wretches

Sue

Now just before getting into the nitty gritty, I went in probably a bit too confident after hearing all the ‘wisdom’ about Tara not being an overly strong Resser…well heads up gang, this game was bloody amazing and Tom played Tara like a champion.

Turn 1.

So I pretty much have my crew on the start line mainly in the left hand side of the board, with a Necropunk out on my right flank. Tom had Sue, Katrina, 2 Crooligans on my left, Tara and the Scion in the middle and 2x Void Wretches and Crooligan on my right flank.

I somehow manage to get initiative.

Due to how closely deployed we were, Reva activates, throws out a corpse candle near 2 Crooligans. Punches the first one, pops the corpse candle, does 4 damage, and kills it. She punches the 2nd one through the new corpse marker, black jokers on the attack flip, so then has to waste her 3rd AP hitting and popping the little bastard again.
Tom activates Tara first and pops up a Guild Autopsy from the left over corpse (cheeky devil).

My Yin tears up into the middle and puts Gnawing Fear on Tara.

The Carrion Emissary pops shards in front of the Scion.
There is a general brawl between the Shielbearers near the Guild Autopsy and Sue, one of them places a scheme marker.
Tom moves up his Void Wretches quickly on the right flank, the Crooligan bolts down the right away from the Necropunk.
The Necropunk drops a scheme marker, leaps and drops another between the Void Wretches.
Tara comes bolting over and murders the Necropunk.
I declare DtC for 3 points (one of those odd ones you can do it turn 1).

3-0 my way.

Turn 2 (I will note, turn 2 and 3 are pretty blurry (not just grog related) as there was so much going on, so pretty much look at turn 2 as interchangeable with turn 3).

Tom gets initiative I think. I pop MLH on the Carrion Emissary. He does something with Tara, but I don’t believe it was any truly amazing.
Reva activates and kills a void wretch through the Necropunk’s corpse. She then shoots through the zombie and the scion of the void who does that very tricky dump a card and bury (lesson learnt there!! Cheeky bastard!!) I Believe she then summons a Guild Autopsy.

Karina throws out a red joker and summons a bloody Punk Zombie in betwixt my Shieldbearers. It then I believe slices and dices, which I burn through the cards to mitigate damage.

The Shieldbearers promptly put down the zombie. My Guild Autopsy trundles toward the back of the board. I think Sue shoots at the Shieldbearers and misses. Yin does another -ve cast thing on Tara, for all the good that does, and then flies into the Tom’s right quarter.
Tom unburies the Scion up in my right quarter.
My emissary flips a zombie into a scheme marker, but Tom comes in and blocks it with Tara. It also throws out 2 lots of shard markers.
By the end of the turn, I hold the left side of the table and Tom holds the right side of the table.
Tom gets a point for leave your mark, he blocks my attempt.

4-1 My way.
Turn 3 (again interchangeable with turn 2, so apologies, as I said, this was a damn tricky game!).

There is a fair chance Tom gets initiative again in this one. Tara I think summons another Guild Autopsy from a corpse somewhere, then buries it (maybe).

Reva again activates early, she punches Sue twice through a corpse marker, popping, getting him down to H2W and maybe she stuffs up the 3rd attack.

Tom tries to put down a Shieldbearer with Sue but fails. Sue is then killed by a Mindless Zombie (lel). Both Shield bearers charge Karina and kill her, but not before she spits out a Guild Autopsy (bitch was on point!!).
I Believe Tara unburries a Guild Autopsy in my right hand corner to bulk it up down there.
Carrion emissary and yin flap to Tom’s right quarter.
Tara runs around a bit at the end of the turn.
Tom declares occupy their turf and also gets a point for leave your mark, I get a point for LyM, with both get a strat point. We both hold the same quarters again.

6-7 Tom’s way.

Turn 4.
I think I get initiative this time somehow.

Reva summons a corpse candle and a Rogue Necromancy (who said she can’t summon?!), she then I think positions herself for next turn.

Tara runs around being painful.

Shieldbearers secure Toms left quarter, they drop some scheme markers, as does the my Guild Autopsy.
The Rogue Necro saunters back into my left quarter to reinforce it. Nothing else of huge consequence happens, except due to all the zombies and what have you, I had very good activation control, so put both Yin and the Carrion Emissary into Tom’s right quarter to manage to block it at the end of the turn.

So end of turn 4, I hold the 2 left quarters, contest Tom’s right quarter and he still holds my right quarter. We both get Leave your mark.
8-8
Turn 5.
This was the decider right here. IMHO it only came down to my activation control (due to sheer amount of zombies chewing activations.

Tom charged Phillip and the Nanny with the Scion of the void and put some good damage on them. He also ran his Crooligan and Void Wretch that where in my right corner, to contest my left corner.
I opted not to attack the Scion with anything as I didn’t want it to be burying and coming up and evening out a quarter for him later in the turn, so I didn’t touch the bastard.
I made sure Toms left quarter was safe (had 3 models in it, the 2 Shieldbearers and my Autopsy). Tom managed to bury the bloody Carrion Emissary giving him control by 1 model (Tara was still engaged by Yin) in his right quarter. So this is where the hail Mary play came in.
So Tom was beating me in my left quarter by 1 (he had 2, I had 1, we both had 1 each engaged), so Reva shot out a Corpse Candle right near the Void Wretch and Crooligan (who where right next to each other). Reva then used all 3 of her AP to move into and block Tom’s right thus equalling each other in there. The Corpse Candle then walked up and engaged both the Crooligan and Void Wretch, blocking them from scorning. So at the end of turn 5 (luckily we didn’t flip for turn 6!!) I controlled both the left quarters and Tom only my Right quarter, with his right quarter contested. I also got my last point for LyM.

10-8 My way, but dear god what a swingy excellent game!!

Tom was a bloody great opponent and certainly made my life difficult, the game honestly could of went either way if I didn’t manage to block a strat point turn 4.

I definitely learnt that Tara is a force to be reckoned with, especially with someone like Tom holding the reins. Not only that, Tara’s whole activate first/last thing is amazing, especially given she can teleport back to her deployment zone. She was bloody fantastic I have to say!

Things I learnt:
Tara is awesome if played right
You don’t need a beater to win

The Scion of the Void is a right and utter bastard!

Don’t get cocky if you score good points early.

So was an awesome game against Tom and I’d happily have a crack at it again, I was thoroughly impressed with Tara and Tom’s use of her mechanics!! Like Wow!

Also sorry if it got a bit muddled in the middle there, but as you guys can probably see, there was a huge amount of things happening in that game, factor in summoning on both sides etc, kept it hard to keep track of haha.

Game 3

This game was up against one of the TWAT twats, a certain, Ben “The Bridesmaid” Ferar I believe.

I will prefix that my memory of this one is a little hazy due to 1. It being over a week ago, and 2, it was the 3rd game day one, with me drinking since 11.

The Strats and Schemes where as follows:
Game 3

Strategy: Guard the Stash

Schemes: Show of Force, Exhaust Their Forces, Mark for Death, Public Demonstration, Convict Labour

Deployment: Corner
This one was my generic Reva list of:
Reva (cache 4)

-Beyond Death

-Spare Parts

-Decaying Aura
Yin

-My Little Helper

Carrion Emissary

-My Little Helper
Phillip and the Nanny

-Haunting Cries

Shield Bearer
Shield Bearer

Necropunk

VS, I believe:

Hamelin

-Infectous Melodies

-The Plague

-Maybe something else.

Killjoy

Ashes and Dust

Obedient Wretch

Stolen

Maybe a pair of rats also and looking the points probably something else, but in all honesty, quite hard to let you know what he started with in regards to anything rat-engine related as it all would constantly cycle.

Anyway I opt to take Public Demostration (2x SB’s and NP) and Show of Force, Ben Convict Labour and something else, not sure what it was.

Turn 1

It was really just a lot of posturing on my behalf (there was some handy buildings in the middle of the board that allowed me some blocking shenanigans), I used the emissary to pop out some markers, bolted both it and Yin into the centre area. Phillip and the Nanny cycled some cards. Reva also activated, summoned a Guild Autopsy and went defensive. By this point in time only rats etc had activated, then turned into Rat Kings, which turned into Rat Catchers and more rats etc… Killjoy then charged Phillip and the Nanny. Not quite killing them. Hamelin came down the flank that was blocked by the houses and didn’t do much. I think a Stolen popped and turned into more rats. At this point I popped Public Demo for 2 points (didn’t like the chances of my minions being around for a whole other turn) I was 0.25” away from the 3 but dems the breaks, the joy of not having activation control :P
2-0 My way.

Turn 2
Phillip and the Nanny go down, I think Killjoy does as well this turn, but he does a heap of healing also. Ashes and dust saunters up toward my gang. Hamelin comes around the side, but is blocked by the Emissaries’ markers again. Some Rat Catchers/Kings chill out near 1 stash marker. Ben Kills some more Stolen for more rats. I think maybe Ashes and Dust went down, but then got back up again. Obedient Wretch turfs a marker on the centre line. Again blurry due to drunkenness and in all honesty very samey turns of rats activating.
I got Show of Force and Guard the Stash, Ben got none I believe.

4-0

Turn 3

Now turn 3 is where I think it all begun happening, by this point in time I had a nice little corpse farm down by the left hand marker, Hamelin had come yoloing through, cue Reva laying the boot. Hamelin attempted some dickery on the Emissary and a Stolen summon, to no avail. Reva activates, first attack against Df (god being able to pick is a huge help), I get a low card, but Ben black jokers, I cheat up to a straight flip, throw down a high range and pop a corpse marker, 6 damage, Ben declares he will stone, but no beano due to Decaying Aura. 2nd hit goes through, another 3 damage, third hit goes through on a natural 13, stopping Ben being able to block it. So dead Hamelin in 1 activation was solid! Ben then throws ashes and dust at Reva and gives her a whalloping, getting a straight hit on her and throwing a red joker at her, really knocking her about. There is a little more dicking around with rat catchers, rats etc. The obedient wretch bolts to lay a 2nd marker on the centre line.

Ben got a point for Guard the Stash, which I also get, as well as Show of Force.

6-1

Coming into turn 4, luckily Ben flips a black joker on initiative, so Reva summons a Corpse Candle 5” away, teleports and just bolts up the board away from Ashes and Dust. She remote-hits a Rat Catcher I believe.

Not a whole lot came up this turn except for more rat-cycling. Ben gets a 3rd marker down for Convict labour, but the Carrion Emissary deploys Shards of Kythera in such a way that it’s summoned zombie will be within 2” of one of the markers.

We call it here with some theory faux, a 9-3 as I would of happily got the turn 5 strat point and so would of Ben.

Ben was a great opponent and I won’t lie, it felt good getting a little vengeance on him after he took off my poor hoff-ball in one activation with pokey-Vik at a previous tournament. Good game though, and it took a lot of work dealing with being out activated.

Things I learnt:
Playing against the Hamelin Rat-Joy thing is quite annoying and ‘eh’ inducing, and please know this is in no way a reflection on Ben, he was great! It’s just the way the list is built to work isn’t particularly exciting. A variety of rats activate while all your important shit goes, delivering killjoy where ever you want him…woo fun *said with spirit fingers*. I legit would of hate to of seen it prior to the ‘cuddle’ if this was with a Vik crew it would have been horrific!!

Anyway, solid bloody game, even if I’m not a fan of the Hamelin mechanic.

Will get the next two up soon.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Mutter said:

Cool reports, thanks for that, and keep'em coming ... :)

Thanks man, will do!

9 hours ago, silicon_dioxide said:

Awesome reports! Thanks for sharing.

Any time mate!

7 hours ago, admiralvorkraft said:

Only quibble I spotted is that Peons can't deny Convict Labor.

Otherwise, your reports just make me wish I were playing in Australia! It sounds like you all had a blast :)

Quibble away good sir but

At the end of every Turn after the first, if this Crew has at
least three Scheme Markers within 2” of the Centerline
of the board which do not have an enemy model or
another friendly Scheme Marker within 2” of them, this
Crew scores 1 VP

It says nothing about that enemy model being a peon/minion/enforcer etc, so by my reading, that is AOK, same as using peons to engage models in Interference. 

Thanks mate, got to say the Melbourne scene is pretty glorious, everyone goes in hard at the game, but no one takes it very seriously if that makes sense?

Will try and get another report up today. 

• Like 1