Need Crew Recommendations For Friends For Christmas

ZeeDeveel

Let me preface this by apologising for the white background on the text, if someone could tell me how to turn that off, that'd be swell.

------------

Hey all, I've not played a game of Malifaux yet, but at Christmas I will buy myself a crew box and one for each of my friends who'd be interested. Looking for a little advice on which sets to buy each of them (and myself). I know each crew box is not exactly an optimised crew and will require additional purchases, but I'd like to get one for each of them that we can play and have fun with and that each crew will resonate with the person I buy it for.

Me:
I enjoy efficiency, squeezing the most out of each character, I like the idea of summoning, or turtling while improving my characters and crew and I usually play a healer or support character in RPGs. I like the look of Sandeep because he can summon, empower his team and by delaying using him each turn he can be very tanky, I do like tankyness. I really enjoy a creative playstyle which takes skill to pull off. Colette seems cool too but I don't really want a crew of showgirls, is she viable without them?

Brother:
Doesn't appreciate too much Ameritrash, would probably prefer something that just had humans with traditional weapons, although he does like orcs and goblins. He also enjoys creative, skillful playstyles greatly. He would be up for playing Gremlins I think if it was a fun, competent team. He likes Empire, High Elves, Bretonians and Orcs and usually plays support in RPGs. Zoraida is a possibility, maybe Wong at a push or some kind of manipulator, control type... He does really like just like blokes in armour though. Other thoughts: Rasputina, Marcus, Colette, Lucius.

Hairy Friend:
Plays Wood Elves, enjoys a playstyle that is built around evasion, hit and run etc Although any characters which are based on agility rather than brute force would be enjoyed. He really likes archers and assassins and things that fly or ride horses or turn invisible! Lilith, Titania, Misaki, Lady Justice, Reva, Kirai, Kaeris?

Little Friend:
In RPGs usually plays a thief or necromancer, I think he'd really enjoy doing lots of summoning and he used to be a punk so I think Nicodem would be the best bet, but other summoners are an option? Also looked at Asami and Yan Lo.

Funny Friend:
Less into Ameritrash than the rest of us, he's very into military history. I think he'd like to play a crew which he can play a bit more like chess. When considering playing Warhammer was pretty set on Empire. He likes armour and old fashioned weapons. As he sees himself as a bit of a strategist, something versatile would be good i.e. something to recreate the tactics of pike squares and flanking cavalry charges. McCabe? Lady Justice?

Girlfriend:
The Dreamer 100% on this one.

Edited by ZeeDeveel

Thanks you, very detailed and interesting post!

Hairy:
Out of Lillith, Reva, Misaki and Kirai who can build the best "hit and run" crew, using models not included in the box sets.

Funny:
Von Schill looks very good, he seems like he has a nice balanced team out of the box with a bit of range damage, some speed, some hard hitting, would you say there is plenty of room for strategy with Von Schill?

Little:
Nicodem and Leveticus both seems like good options.

Brother:
Von Schill again looks really good here actually... but he might also like Wong or Zoraida.

Me:
No idea what I want now! :) Gonna take a closer look at Hoffman and Ramos.

You like complicated playstyle, copying actions and spreading AP to where it's needed. I empathize, even to the point of rejecting Colette because she was too girly. I am very happy running Hoffman, and would also probably be very happy to finally slide sideways into Arcanists with Sandeep via the bridge of Ramos' crew box. If you want a taster of the copy playstyle, there's an expensive but very versatile mercenary called Hannah who copies anyone's* casting actions at full power, or a cheap mercenary called the Malifaux Child (see my avatar picture) which copies its master's casting actions at lesser power but infinite range.

If you want to gift the little friend with punk zombies, there's a model Toshiro the Daimyo who can hire them into Ten Thunders faction as well as Resurrectionists, in case he finds a playstyle in 10T that speaks more to him. Punk zombies aren't considered great hires in Ressers where they can be summoned for 'free' but that equation may change in Ten Thunders. Ressers are mostly slow, Ten Thunders range from speedy to omgwtfhowareyouacrosstheboardalready.

*and I do mean anyone, friendly or enemy. This leads to the strange situation of Hannah being a uncomfortable fit in a Hoffman crew since her steam-powered suit is not a construct and so she is expected to read his mind (for friendly obeys) but can't, but she can read his mind from across the table (and thus order the construct on her side to blast my side to smithereens).

"Ameritrash" is a board gaming term. I forgot this isn't a board gaming forum. People divide boardgames into "Euro" games and "Ameritrash" games often. Euro games are very strategic with little theme maybe something like Chess, where as Ameritrash refers to games with lots of theme, luck, dice rolling, card drawing etc like Warhammer and Malifaux. So I have some friends who prefer games to be more about strategy and less about theme and others who want lots of theme in a game.

Malifaux child sounds like a really great model, I'll have to look into some combos with that.

Thanks for the posts guys, I have a good idea of what to get now.

Hey folks, so I've ordered a bunch of paints and whatnot and The Dreamer for my gf and I know what I'm getting my friends for Christmas.. but still not sure what to get for myself.

I was leaning towards Sandeep but he's not out yet and none of the other Arcanists excite me... In fact I actually feel like the Arcanist faction is really lacking theme. The cool thing about Malifaux is all this darkness and wyrdness, the Arcanists seem a bit middle of the road. So here's my thinking:

Arcanists: A bit boring thematically, unless you go with mechanical like Ramos but I've never been a fan of this kind of mechanical theme. Colette is cool but I don't think I'd enjoy painting a bunch of exotic dancers.

Ressurectionists: I like them a lot but they've got my Little Friend's name written all over, so I'm gonna leave them for him... Although I could maybe still play these too.

Ten Thunders: Again the theme doesn't do it for me really and I think my Hairy Friend would like them.

Neverborn: My GF is gonna play these, but I think they look awesome.

Guild: I don't like any of their masters, although some of the troops are pretty cool. I do like the idea of the Guild thematically.

Outcasts: Some interesting stuff here, Hamelin, Viktorias but nothing that really grabs me and I think their playstyles wouldn't fit with me mostly.

Gremlins: They seem cool, but I don't know if I'd regret not going for something more "awesome".

So here's what I'm thinking...

Either Som'er, Ophelia or Wong potentially.. I'm happy to go with any of those if I can't come up with anything else but I was thinking about perhaps Jakob Lynch? Even though my girlfriend has picked Neverborn, I'm guessing because Lynch has this whole "Darkened", "Brilliance" thing going on if I did pick Lynch my crew would end up not looking anything like my girlfriend's Dreamer crew, yes? So perhaps Lynch is the answer? Also Lynch could lead to Asami when she comes out too, right?

Thanks man, I went with Lynch, I think you're right. She's gonna have mostly Nightmares and I will have mostly Darkened/Illuminated, so our crews should be plenty different. Then later I think I will try Asami or Somer. :)

I think Bayou Gators look incredibly strong for their low points cost, but Gremlins have so much synergy it seems wasteful to have any Swampfiends.