Expanding my collection

Beta

Hello there,

after a bit of struggle and many lost games I managed to get a bit more comfortable and scroed my first 2 wins. After that I had to take a bit of a break (work...) and didn't buy any new models or played any games. The situation at work is getting a bit better and next week I'll have my next game. With that I want to continue expanding my collection and would like some advice on my plans. I still have some models I'm not sure about.

First of all what I've got:
Perdita Box
Lady J Box
Austringers
Peacekeeper

Where do I want to go?
Regarding masters I was planning on getting the 3 original masters: Dita, Lady and Sonnia.
The rest should be a mixture of essential models (things you shouldn't miss) and theme oriented models (like getting the whole family together).
For now my plan looks like this (priority list):

---First batch to buy
1. Burtal Effigy
2. Abuela
3. Executioner

---Second batch to buy
4. Death Marshal Recruiter
5. Lone Marshal
6. Exorcist

---Third batch to buy
7. Sonnia Box
8. Witchling Handler
9. Witchling Stalker
10. Witchling Thrall
11. Sanctioned Spellcaster

And here are the models where I don't where in the shopping list I should put them or if I should buy them at all.

Pistoleros (must have to complete the family)
Brutal Emissary
Pale Rider
Hounds / Watcher (Hounds are cheaper to get because they come in a extra box...for the Watchers I would have to buy a whole box. But looking at the models I'm tending towards the Watchers)

Every comment/help is appreciated, so I can include the models in the financial planning for the next months :) 

Fantastic buy-list but from my perspective the best way to pick up Malifaux remains to just get your box, add the essentials (Austringers/Pathfinder/Death Marshall/Effigy/Emissary/Wave 2+ named Enforcers) and continue to go down to a path with a single Master first before picking up the next. I say this because the 'ideal' buy-list in my eyes is extremely specific for Masters. A small rundown from my perspective:

- Brutal Effigy <- Allround rockstar, can't go wrong with this buy. 
- Abuela <- Fantastic with Perdita but also almost exclusively to her. Matriarch and Shotgun Wedding are niche but always have mattered to me to some extend.
- Executioner <- Awesome model, very squishy however, hard to use in my honest opinion even with the Wave 4 upgrade. Good with Nellie but otherwise I'd rather get a Brutal Emissary.

- DMR <- I don't know if it's allready on release schedule. He strikes me as a very nice option to Lady J with 2-ish Death Marshalls but otherwise feels a tad expensive for what he does.
- Lone Marshal <- I like it for it's specialized role a lot if you can spare the cache for it.
- Exorcist <- In my opinion too niche, rather run Perdita with Trick Shooting if Armor/Incorporeal/Cover matters (and it will sometimes).

- Sonnia box is awesome, so are the Witchling additions.

In my honest opinion the best beginner buys for Guild are:
Guild Pathfinder, Guild Austringers, Brutal Effigy, Brutal Emissary, 'named' Enforcers that come outside of a starter box but generally all starter boxes. Guild Hounds in particular are fantastic with Lucas McCabe but otherwise most of the above is very specialized, I'd say too specialized unless you really like a specific Master to start out with. If you like the Guild you'll eventually branch out into everything anway. 

On 22.10.2016 at 1:43 AM, JDAntoine said:

Fantastic buy-list but from my perspective the best way to pick up Malifaux remains to just get your box, add the essentials (Austringers/Pathfinder/Death Marshall/Effigy/Emissary/Wave 2+ named Enforcers) and continue to go down to a path with a single Master first before picking up the next. I say this because the 'ideal' buy-list in my eyes is extremely specific for Masters. A small rundown from my perspective:

I'm completly with you regarding the single master. I bought LadyJ this early only for the DMs. Perdita is the master I'm focussing on right now. I tried one game with the Lady...failed miserably...and went back to Perdita for now.

- Brutal Effigy <- Allround rockstar, can't go wrong with this buy. 

That's why he is on the top of the list :)

- Executioner <- Awesome model, very squishy however, hard to use in my honest opinion even with the Wave 4 upgrade. Good with Nellie but otherwise I'd rather get a Brutal Emissary.

I didn' want to include them in the beginning. Only after the Wave4 upgrade I started considering buying them, but was still unsure. Maybe I'll put them a bit further to the end odf the list (after Sonnia...when I've decided to like Nellie ^^)

- DMR <- I don't know if it's allready on release schedule. He strikes me as a very nice option to Lady J with 2-ish Death Marshalls but otherwise feels a tad expensive for what he does.
- Lone Marshal <- I like it for it's specialized role a lot if you can spare the cache for it.
- Exorcist <- In my opinion too niche, rather run Perdita with Trick Shooting if Armor/Incorporeal/Cover matters (and it will sometimes).

These 3 are mostly to complete the LadyJ theme. The DMR seems indeed a nice option for the Lady. The Exorcist ist purely for the theme.

In my honest opinion the best beginner buys for Guild are:
Guild Pathfinder, Guild Austringers, Brutal Effigy, Brutal Emissary, 'named' Enforcers that come outside of a starter box but generally all starter boxes. Guild Hounds in particular are fantastic with Lucas McCabe but otherwise most of the above is very specialized, I'd say too specialized unless you really like a specific Master to start out with. If you like the Guild you'll eventually branch out into everything anway. 

Ok...so considering your advice and putting a bit of thought into it I tweaked the list a little bit:

1. Brutal Effigy
2. Abuela
3. Pathfinder
---------
4. Brutal Emissary
5. Pistoleros
---------
(6. Pale Rider)
---------
7. DMR
8. Lone Marshal
9. Exorcist
---------
10. Sonnia Box
11. Witchling Stalker
12. Witchling Handler
13. Withling Thrall
14. Sanctioned Spellcaster

And after that we'll see. Maybe I'll get some other boxes (Hofmann and Nellie) and then additional models like Hounds, Executioners, etc.

• Like 1