Tournaments & declared Faction

Frozen Feet

I've got a question:

In 3 weeks i am going to play an 'Evolution' tournament.

Means:

1st Game:            Enforcers Brawl

2nd & 4th Game:  Henchman Hardcore (i have to hire the Enforcer of Game 1)

3rd Game:           Regular 50SS (i have to hire the whole HH-Crew of Game 2)

-So am i allowed to play a MERCENARY in the Enforcers Brawl of Game1?-

Best regards,

Tobi aka Frozen Feet

The only person who can answer this is the T.O. for that event (Or anyone that has read a rules pack for the event if it happens to answer this). 

My typical expectation is you would have to chose a model of your declared faction to lead (and in the enforcer brawl you only have the enforcer), but there is no reason why an organiser couldn't ignore that rule for an enforcer brawl if they wanted to. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, aquenaton said:

In thst case, for example, wrath can only lead if playing neverborn?

Wrath, when taken with the other Crossroads Seven models, has special rules which allow him to lead even if you declare other factions.  So you've picked the exception as your example.

So it matters more whether you're required to declare the same faction for all games of the tournament.

• Like 1

For what it's worth, Wrath's trick requires hiring all seven of the Crossroads Seven.  I don't understand the details of this "Evolution" format, so I can only conjecture if it'll work based on possibilities that you'll need to confirm with the person providing the format rules.  You're also going to want to confirm what version of the Henchman Hardcore rules are being used, because I've seen a few different versions of those, too.

In order to have Wrath lead non-Neverborn at 50SS, you have to hire all seven of the Crossroads Seven.  That's 48 SS of models, leaving you to choose a 2SS model to use in your henchman hardcore list.

Since you have to include your henchman hardcore list in your 50SS list, your henchman hardcore list has to three of the Crossroads Seven, that 2SS model, and that's it.  That'll leave you with an 18SS crew with exactly four models, and I think that's okay for Henchman Hardcore.

But Wrath is going to have to lead both the Hechman Hardcore and the 50SS list, and the 'lead the crew regardless of faction' clause only kick in when you have all seven models present:

Lead Singer: Crews led by this model may hire other Crossroads Seven models regardless of Faction. This model may be a Crew's Leader in 50+ Soulstone size games, regardless of declared Faction, so long as the Crew contains at least seven Crossroads Seven models.

and the rest of the Seven don't have similar rules.  Whichever faction you declare for your Henchman Hardcore list is going to have to be the same faction as your 50SS list because of that 2SS model.

According to the alternate tournament formats document from the Wyrd website, the instructions for the enforcer are

Each player selects one Enforcer and attaches up to one Upgrade to it. The Upgrade must be something the Enforcer could have attached at the start of a normal game considering its Faction(s). (Leader only Upgrades may not be selected, for example.) The Enforcer must be one with a Cost which may be hired (no Coryphee Duets, for example).

without bothering with anything involving declaring faction because it doesn't really matter.  For your case, "up to one Upgrade" is going to be "none", so that part won't matter much, but it's important that you're not required to take the upgrade in that round because it would make the rest impossible to do.

So I guess what it boils down to is:  Ask the person running the tournament whether you're required to use the same faction in all three rounds, including the faction of the model chosen for the enforcer brawl.

If they say you have to have the same faction across all three games, then your enforcer choice is going to be dictated by the faction of that 2SS model.  If they don't care what faction model you choose for your henchman hardcore model, then you get to choose any of the seven for that first game.  But that 2SS model is going to lock you in to one faction for the other two games.

If you decide not to take the seven, it's still worth asking the same question, because there are a lot of cross faction models that would face similar dilemmas.  For instance, someone might want to run:

Game 1:  Howard Langston (Arcanists) Hanna (Outcasts)

Game 2:  Kang (Ten Thunders)

Game 3:  Mei Feng (Dual Faction, Arcanists and Ten Thunders, either way can include both Kang and Howard Langston Hanna and may want to declare Arcanists).

Edit:  Forgot Game 2 had to include Game 1's model. 

Edited by solkan
  • Like 1