Zipp - rather good fun

Joel

I'm only into Zipp 9 games so I've got lots to discover, but I'm using him to drop scheme markers.  A 3pt minion that can move about for free if you have sky pirates is pretty good in lots of pools.  I think Old kranky could be a good source of stones with Mc Tavish on certain boards and schemes.   I've mostly been using Zipp as a Assassin and it's lots of fun I must say :D 

Tried Rambling Diatribe, but mostly find his other 0 grab a rope too useful.   

I've been swapping and changing Taxi and Sparks and find the Taxidermist overall more useful gaining late turn activation control and with 3ap and positive to damage he can put the hurt on.  If only Sparks had reckless :P  Still like the 1st mate I think he has his uses.  Hostile work environment is a great aura.  

I threw Rambling Diatribe onto Sammy and it works pretty well.  I never get the opportunity to use her other (0) anyways, so it isn't really competing.  Plus Jinx is amazing when Zipp moves an enemy out of position and then she roots it there so it can't walk back.

Other than the piano, and then the Treasure Map plus the First Mate's upgrade (only in scheme marker heavy pools), I don't really see this crew as one that really needs their upgrades.  I throw one of Zipp's on, mostly to make the piano free, but otherwise he gets things like Dirty Cheater or Hide in the Mud.

The PHE upgrade is one I like to keep to hand - great for throwing out slow or for hitting getting a couple of quick scheme markers down from stuffed piglets in the right positions.

also useful to pass Zipp some explosives and have him get into a bunch of models to spread damage about.  Situational, but useful too

• Like 1

Simply put - Earl isn't needed, but in some pools a cheap significant model is just that - useful.  I still rate him below a guild hound in that role as any speed he has is linked to Zipp, but he's not bad.

playing without him went fine and it's something I'll now have as an option.

with these 3 games, Zipp is now my most-player master of 2016 at 29 games. Not bad for 2 months ?

• Like 2

If only Gremlins had a way of moving those 3 stone models across the board without activating them, some sort of catapult or flying machine...? :P

Okay now I'm being obnoxiously flippant, obviously Earl's mobility is a bit more user friendly than Iron Skeeters or the Pigapult & requires a lot less of an investment, but I've felt a few times when I've used him that I want to split Zipp and Earl up, and his aura is so small that it's hard to get them back together again. I would rather leave him at home most of the time and just bring Old Cranky.

• Like 2

I have pretty much used earl 100% as a schemer and usually ignore the rest of his card. In that sense, for 3ss hes a better buy that a bayou most of the time. I can def see leaving him at home if he isnt going to be needed in that role. In strats like squatters/stake i think hes easily worth his weight even if hes only dropped off up the field by Zipp turn 1 and left there. 

Dont think I'd take cranky tho. To be quite fair i find him good but i think overrated at times. 

Don't forget, Earl moves with ANY friendly sky pirate walk.  An Iron Skeeter playing taxi can move him as well (giving you 2 fly 6 inch places on 2 models for maybe 1 card).  Leaving Zipp to do his thing solo.  Sure you don't get the suit stuff for Zipp, but that is always very hard timing wise and you might get the tome for the Iron and have it guarantee fast on its passenger.   

4 minutes ago, Rhadge said:

Don't forget, Earl moves with ANY friendly sky pirate walk.  An Iron Skeeter playing taxi can move him as well (giving you 2 fly 6 inch places on 2 models for maybe 1 card).  Leaving Zipp to do his thing solo.  Sure you don't get the suit stuff for Zipp, but that is always very hard timing wise and you might get the tome for the Iron and have it guarantee fast on its passenger.   

This does, however, bunch 3 models up - and once there the skeeter is certainly easy to kill to break up any other moves.  Creating a clump of vulnerable models upfield is something that many opponents will take advantage of quickly and effectively.

1 minute ago, Joel said:

This does, however, bunch 3 models up - and once there the skeeter is certainly easy to kill to break up any other moves.  Creating a clump of vulnerable models upfield is something that many opponents will take advantage of quickly and effectively.

Very true, it is a liability anytime 3 models have to be in B2B.  But with fly 12, the smoke blocking LOS if used with terrain and the ability for Earl and passager to head out after being moved, the time for the opponent to take advantage is limited and your placement is flexible. 

• Like 1

2 Stuffed piglets, maybe going towards something else 7ss range.

Old cranky is in a unique spot. On paper, he has so much upside. 3 nice auras, card cycle, can drop scheme markers. On the table i find some crews just dont take advantage of his buffs to make him worth it, and i'd argue his card cycle is the only thing keeping him in the conversation for some of my crews. 

• Like 1

On 15 December 2016 at 0:09 PM, Sergrum said:

2 Stuffed piglets, maybe going towards something else 7ss range.

Old cranky is in a unique spot. On paper, he has so much upside. 3 nice auras, card cycle, can drop scheme markers. On the table i find some crews just dont take advantage of his buffs to make him worth it, and i'd argue his card cycle is the only thing keeping him in the conversation for some of my crews. 

Agreed.

He reads good on paper but my Masters either need their totems or can't find the points for him (mainly Wong on the latter).

2 hours ago, Obeisance said:

What are people playing with Zipp?

The following models are everything I have used with Zipp. This covers 29 games.

zipp

earl

first mate

iron skeeters 

burt jebsen 

gracie

gremlin taxidermist

stuffed piglets

sparks

pere ravage

merris

mechanised porkchop

killjoy

ronin

pigapult

rooster riders

• Like 1

I don't quite get how so many people get good use out of old cranky, personally I find he get's easily left behind if not cared for, especially in a Zipp crew.

His auras are very good, but require careful placement and in my opinion a crew with ranged attacks to work, I don't think of him as the end all be all totem many in this forum seem to see him :)

• Like 2