Zipp - rather good fun

Joel

1 hour ago, Joel said:

The ability to switch between pig and gremlin, and keep healing, means they can take part in some interesting tricks and can tank pretty well - something a lot of our other choices don't do.  They also hit well enough so that you don't feel disadvantaged.

I will be trying them out when they arrive, I can see them in headhunter and collect the bounty games when I want killy minions with push effects as opposed to enforcers.

Ooh, didn't thought about collect the bounty. It might just be me being over-hyped for how cool they are and suit with Wong, so I might had got a bit narrow minded :D 

On 3/13/2017 at 1:48 PM, Joel said:

The ability to switch between pig and gremlin, and keep healing, means they can take part in some interesting tricks and can tank pretty well - something a lot of our other choices don't do.  They also hit well enough so that you don't feel disadvantaged.

I didn't find them very tanky at all. In fact, they tended to die pretty easily. Maybe I was just being too reckless with them and maybe they were such a threat that the enemy was always very keen on killing them but IME they really don't hang around long enough to really benefit from the healing all that much.

On 3/13/2017 at 1:48 PM, Joel said:

I will be trying them out when they arrive, I can see them in headhunter and collect the bounty games when I want killy minions with push effects as opposed to enforcers.

Yeah, being Minions is good - Gremlins have very little in the way of elite Minions.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, EpicWaffle said:

I'll be at a tournament on sunday, and plan to use mainly zipp :) if I do so, I'll post something here, since I've been working on a crew idea I wish to test, and the tournament seems like a good testing ground ;)

Good luck, dude. And have lots of Zzip fun ;)

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Math Mathonwy said:

I didn't find them very tanky at all. In fact, they tended to die pretty easily. Maybe I was just being too reckless with them and maybe they were such a threat that the enemy was always very keen on killing them but IME they really don't hang around long enough to really benefit from the healing all that much.

Yeah, being Minions is good - Gremlins have very little in the way of elite Minions.

looks like we'll all have to wait longer for the models now....but I found them tanky enough once the healing started to flow.

3 hours ago, Math Mathonwy said:

I had similar experience with them in a Wong crew.  Agreed, that I may have been a little reckless, but they didn't seem to get much done before they went down.

2 hours ago, Joel said:

looks like we'll all have to wait longer for the models now....but I found them tanky enough once the healing started to flow.

Yeah, I can't claim extensive experience with them so am willing to be proven wrong! The way I tried them, they seemed to be a bit like Roosters in that they have giant destructive potential and therefore become prime targets and die. Of course that doesn't mean that they are actually necessarily all that squishy since when the opponent wants something dead in this game, it usually dies but the question is one of resource expenditure.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Joel said:

Guess that if the opponent manages to focus down 1 of them, unless you have the cards, it will go down fairly quick, so maybe huge beaters are to be avoided. Healing makes them tanky as long as they activate before a possible menace. Needles to say that if they do, it's quite easy to heal them, and to hi back.

So, here I am with the report from yesterday tournament. The event got quite an amount of changes and passed from a 3 man-squad event, to a 10 people regolar tournament :huh:not a big issue tho, I took advantage of the situation for some testing. The event ended for me with a 5th place, scoring 2 wins and 1 loss (with so little participants, loosing the last game costed me the whole event, getting surpassed by the guy I just defeated turn 2 :(). Still, I managed to pull some nice plays, and my last opponent played better than me, so I'm ok with the result :)

The crew i wanted to test was with Zipp as master, and went something like this:

Zipp (gab, hovering airship, rambling) 6ss 

Earl

First mate (treasure map, where the cap etc.)

Iron Skeeter (poorly handled explosives)

Burt jebsen (D.c.)

Taxidermist (D.c.)

Merris

2 stuffeds

It started as something maily oriented against ressers (against whom I'm just starting to gain some expriences), than turned out to be quite rounded for any scenario. Only problem is that it's not that offensive, but you have quite an amount of options to play around and you can always switch up a thing or two. I'm working toward having a fixed list for my masters, cause I tend to change way too many models from game to game, and I need to be more selective in order to focus better on the game, rather than on models I'm not used to (even tho it's always fun to try new stuff).

I made some changes to it in round two, bringing Fingers instead of the First mate, Francois (d.c. and stilts) instead of the Taxidermist and gave Do over to Merris, dropping a Stuffed, which worked pretty well.

So, games wise, nothing really amazing happened: first game was against an Ironside, with extraction as strat, and ended 7\6 for me with full points from Extr., 3 from set up and 0 from frame. Guess because he was afraid of making me score it, he left my taxidermist slice down his master to his death, and I did the same with his Joan, suspiciosly taking a plus flip against Zipp (not a good idea to put it on an hard to kill model).

Second game was quite intresting: strategy was Head hunter (that's why I took Fingers and Frank), and I was against a friend of mine playing Levi. I must say, we played on the worst table i ever found among all my tournaments, since it was so poorly built (all elements were in the corners, with the center almost clear from any cover/object). Turn one he flipped a red joker with Levi on the iron skeeter, which, adding an hit from A&D, sent Burt (which just got  brought there by the I.S.) to one wound due to the burning damage, bringing me to 6 models total! Luckly, I took that in count, spreaded my models so that i had a quarter under my control to score Claim Jump, and maaged to get a couple of heads ready for the succeding turns, managing to score a point from dig their graves too. Quite damaging for my opponent was that he took accusation! and gave the condition to the 1 wound Burt, who quickly suicided with rekless to prevent his point. Game ended 7/5 for me, adding 3 heads to the total. Models of the game where Zipp, who kept levi from doind anything with a bunch of suppressive Piano-droppings, and Fingers, thanks to which he wasn't able to place a single accusation on my models. I'm starting to get the hang of using the Piano as a way to get a free walk+attack as @Joel mentioned, and it's pretty awesome.

Third game was my loss of the day. I was against a Reva (against which I have almost no expirience) in Interference: I scored full points from my schemes (undercover entourage and claim jump), but I did a really poor job strategy-wise, which led me to score a single point from it. Game ended 8/7 for him. I was really tempted to bring Somer out, but i said to myself i wanted to use only Zipp, even if it was not his game, and kinda paid for it, since I have poor expiriences with Zipp in Interrference.

Over all, the crew list did well, even tho I wasn't able to get a ''sold'' win on the first round, but I think I'll leave the Infamy's Captain behind for a while now, since I'm starting to have trouble getting things down the way I want and I'm starting to get bored because of the amount of games I had with him in the last months. Also, I got again the Somer-fever, and when the boss calls, it's  better to answer ;) Surely this doesn't mean I'll stop using him, I'll just maybe switch the focus on Somer and keep him just behind him to grant cover form above ;) 

Thanks to anyone reading this, and any feedback is appreciated :) 

• Like 4

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I like the first mate, but I tend to either take Trixie or Fingers instead based on how much scheming I need to do and messing up my opponent. 

Trixie I find can usually run schemes pretty efficiently with reckless and luring enemies away and fingers is just amazing at it while screwing your opponent. 

9 hours ago, green-n-dumb said:

Hello!
Can be Zipp played without First Mate?
In my club one guy is selling his Zipp box wthout him (he took Silurid to his Zoraida band).

He certainly can - the first mate is good, but by no means necessary

Hello all

I’m a long-time forum stalker, and figured I’d finally join the community. I’ve recently purchased the Zipp crew box, and I’ve since then had quite a few games, but I really struggle to get him right. Frequently, I find that my crew (Zipp included) gets absolutely wrecked by my opponents, and I can’t really keep up.  

Now, our local meta are all based on previous 40k players, so people often pick extremely offensive lists. While this should mean that they’d theoretically struggle more on the scheme-side of things, they normally just obliterate me before it becomes a problem. It also doesn’t help that they are quite respectable players (especially compared to me).

I usually run Zipp when schemes such as Undercover Entourage or Tail ‘em is in the pool, but I’ve gotten the impression that Zipp is somewhat good in almost all schemes?

I normally face Arcanist, Guild, Neverborn.

I often pick:

• Zipp – The Gift of Gab, Hovering Airship, Stilts / Dirty Cheater
  • Earl
  • The First Mate – Treasure Map, Where the Captain Can’t See (If it is a very scheme-marker heavy pool)
  • Burt – Dirty Cheater (Almost always)
  • Iron Skeeter - Poorly Handled Explosives (Often tries to get Burt in there, and give him Fast too)
  • Francois – Stilts (If Zipp doesn’t have it)
  • 2-3 Stuffed Piglets (For activation control + general nuisances)

Other than this, I choose depending on the scheme pool (ie. Gracie for Extraction and so forth)

Are there any general tips / playstyles that I should maybe be aware of? I’ve tried my best to read through this entire thread, and memorize any general comments, but maybe there is some other tricks that people are using? I’ve also noted that @Joel is joining the Schemes and Stones podcast, and I cannot wait for the episode.

Against aggressive players, let the come to you and then fly right by!  Dont give them extra ap to hit you with by moving into their range.

the crew isn't about taking a punch, it's about dodging them while denying opposing scheme points

To join what Joel said, you really need to think zipp as the character he is, in other words a green flying pirate :D that means the you want to to harass and dodge, instead of going in at full speed.

For example, Zipp paired with hovering airship and earl masks- aura is an amazing tool to soften up big targets (which usually don't get over 5df) while keeping you mobile thanks to the masks trigger

I'm quite a big fan of them, but against the faction you generally face I love to bring lighting bugs! I use them mainly with Somer, but theyre such amazing and cheap models, which can mess pretty badly with armor/slow models and even incorporeal ones (their attack is a ca). Also, they are hella fast thanks to reckless, and provide with so many tools you won't expect (they charge the same distance as Burt, but with a 2" melee which can slow, great against models with black blood).

Another great model against really aggressive crews is Trixie, thanks to her gremlin lure, tho I never use her with zipp.

On more of a general level, gremlins are tough to play, especially in the beginning, against very aggressive crews, cause we can't really take a punch, but the moment you learn how to respect models threat range (Alex smidt on his YouTube channel has a great video about it) and how to abuse our speed and tricks, you'll have easier time ;)

20 hours ago, wizuriel said:

I like the first mate, but I tend to either take Trixie or Fingers instead based on how much scheming I need to do and messing up my opponent. 

Trixie I find can usually run schemes pretty efficiently with reckless and luring enemies away and fingers is just amazing at it while screwing your opponent. 

I know it's a big investment from soulstones, but I tend to bring both First Mate and Fingers if there's a good amount of scheme running needed.  

• 3 months later...

Didn't want to start off a new topic, so here I go

I think that zipp got probably one of the best wave 5 upgrade which is the one that allows you to sorta turn into a green leveticus (I think its the "dreaded Porte zipp")

I'm gonna test it tonight, so I'll let you know how it goes, but I think it offers a really really solid play style, where you go balls deep with him and gives your bayous (that for me are the new stuffed piglets) a 0 action

This is the list, I'll follow up tomorrow with a battle report 

50 SS Gremlins Crew
Zipp + 7 Pool
 - The Gift of Gab (1)
 - Hovering Airship (1)
 - Liquid Bravery (1)
Earl Burns (3)
Francois LaCroix (7)
 - Dirty Cheater (1)
 - Do Over (1)
Gremlin Taxidermist (7)
 - Dirty Cheater (1)
Iron Skeeter (6)
 - Airship Spotlight (0)
Iron Skeeter (6)
 - Poorly Handled Explosives (0)
Bayou Gremlin (3)
Bayou Gremlin (3)
Bayou Gremlin (3)
Bayou Gremlin (3)

• Like 1

Had a go with the new upgrade for the Lucky Emissary & Zipp (Conflux of Showboating).  While the ability to move through HT 1 & 2 is cute, I didn't feel much love for the Death Wheel effect. I would've preferred if it had been a Once-Per-Turn effect on each individual model, rather than only during its activation. That would've also have made Zipp's (0) Grap a Rope action a bit more "fun". It is already a low TN of 12 WK (obviously Zipp's BZZZAP!! can make that harder to reach, but still). 

So sorry for the delay, but I had quite some trouble finding time for the report! The game went great, with a solid 10-3 for me. Amazing thing about the new upgrade is that you can play as recklessly as you want with Zipp, since you can always bury and summon a Bayou (this will also grant you an extra activation). It's also cool to have some bayous hanging around to use as exploding kamikaze thanks to poorly handled explosives (but care, because this will reduce the number of "jumps" Zipp can make, as he's going to sacrifice himself after that.

Oh and I thought giving mood swing wound t had been that much of a deal, but in reality, being able to dictate your opponent activation order is quite nice (considering you're doing it for a 0)

in conclusion, it's a great tool to grant amazing mobility and survivability for a master that really didn't t needed a buff in that department (which makes me wonder why they gave something like this to him), and allows you to adopt a sort of "Leveticus-esque" playstyle, where you go in, deals as much damages as you can, and go out without getting any "backlash" (here the mask trigger on up we go is even more amazing, because it allows you to use your 0 in a place where the Bayou won't die instantly).

Only concern I have, is if with this play style earl is still worth or not, but I'll give it a couple of shots before jumping to conclusions 

• Like 2