Welcome to Wyrd Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Joel

Zipp - rather good fun

410 posts in this topic

The ability to switch between pig and gremlin, and keep healing, means they can take part in some interesting tricks and can tank pretty well - something a lot of our other choices don't do.  They also hit well enough so that you don't feel disadvantaged.

I will be trying them out when they arrive, I can see them in headhunter and collect the bounty games when I want killy minions with push effects as opposed to enforcers.

1 person likes this

1 hour ago, Joel said:

The ability to switch between pig and gremlin, and keep healing, means they can take part in some interesting tricks and can tank pretty well - something a lot of our other choices don't do.  They also hit well enough so that you don't feel disadvantaged.

I will be trying them out when they arrive, I can see them in headhunter and collect the bounty games when I want killy minions with push effects as opposed to enforcers.

Ooh, didn't thought about collect the bounty. It might just be me being over-hyped for how cool they are and suit with Wong, so I might had got a bit narrow minded :D 

On 3/13/2017 at 1:48 PM, Joel said:

I didn't find them very tanky at all. In fact, they tended to die pretty easily. Maybe I was just being too reckless with them and maybe they were such a threat that the enemy was always very keen on killing them but IME they really don't hang around long enough to really benefit from the healing all that much.

On 3/13/2017 at 1:48 PM, Joel said:

Yeah, being Minions is good - Gremlins have very little in the way of elite Minions.

1 person likes this

I'll be at a tournament on sunday, and plan to use mainly zipp :) if I do so, I'll post something here, since I've been working on a crew idea I wish to test, and the tournament seems like a good testing ground ;)

2 people like this

31 minutes ago, EpicWaffle said:

I'll be at a tournament on sunday, and plan to use mainly zipp :) if I do so, I'll post something here, since I've been working on a crew idea I wish to test, and the tournament seems like a good testing ground ;)

Good luck, dude. And have lots of Zzip fun ;)

1 person likes this

56 minutes ago, Math Mathonwy said:

I didn't find them very tanky at all. In fact, they tended to die pretty easily. Maybe I was just being too reckless with them and maybe they were such a threat that the enemy was always very keen on killing them but IME they really don't hang around long enough to really benefit from the healing all that much.

Yeah, being Minions is good - Gremlins have very little in the way of elite Minions.

looks like we'll all have to wait longer for the models now....but I found them tanky enough once the healing started to flow.

3 hours ago, Math Mathonwy said:

I had similar experience with them in a Wong crew.  Agreed, that I may have been a little reckless, but they didn't seem to get much done before they went down.

2 hours ago, Joel said:

looks like we'll all have to wait longer for the models now....but I found them tanky enough once the healing started to flow.

Yeah, I can't claim extensive experience with them so am willing to be proven wrong! The way I tried them, they seemed to be a bit like Roosters in that they have giant destructive potential and therefore become prime targets and die. Of course that doesn't mean that they are actually necessarily all that squishy since when the opponent wants something dead in this game, it usually dies but the question is one of resource expenditure.

1 person likes this

1 hour ago, Joel said:

Guess that if the opponent manages to focus down 1 of them, unless you have the cards, it will go down fairly quick, so maybe huge beaters are to be avoided. Healing makes them tanky as long as they activate before a possible menace. Needles to say that if they do, it's quite easy to heal them, and to hi back.

So, here I am with the report from yesterday tournament. The event got quite an amount of changes and passed from a 3 man-squad event, to a 10 people regolar tournament :huh:not a big issue tho, I took advantage of the situation for some testing. The event ended for me with a 5th place, scoring 2 wins and 1 loss (with so little participants, loosing the last game costed me the whole event, getting surpassed by the guy I just defeated turn 2 :(). Still, I managed to pull some nice plays, and my last opponent played better than me, so I'm ok with the result :)

The crew i wanted to test was with Zipp as master, and went something like this:

Zipp (gab, hovering airship, rambling) 6ss 

Earl

First mate (treasure map, where the cap etc.)

Iron Skeeter (poorly handled explosives)

Burt jebsen (D.c.)

Taxidermist (D.c.)

Merris

2 stuffeds

It started as something maily oriented against ressers (against whom I'm just starting to gain some expriences), than turned out to be quite rounded for any scenario. Only problem is that it's not that offensive, but you have quite an amount of options to play around and you can always switch up a thing or two. I'm working toward having a fixed list for my masters, cause I tend to change way too many models from game to game, and I need to be more selective in order to focus better on the game, rather than on models I'm not used to (even tho it's always fun to try new stuff).

I made some changes to it in round two, bringing Fingers instead of the First mate, Francois (d.c. and stilts) instead of the Taxidermist and gave Do over to Merris, dropping a Stuffed, which worked pretty well.

So, games wise, nothing really amazing happened: first game was against an Ironside, with extraction as strat, and ended 7\6 for me with full points from Extr., 3 from set up and 0 from frame. Guess because he was afraid of making me score it, he left my taxidermist slice down his master to his death, and I did the same with his Joan, suspiciosly taking a plus flip against Zipp (not a good idea to put it on an hard to kill model).

Second game was quite intresting: strategy was Head hunter (that's why I took Fingers and Frank), and I was against a friend of mine playing Levi. I must say, we played on the worst table i ever found among all my tournaments, since it was so poorly built (all elements were in the corners, with the center almost clear from any cover/object). Turn one he flipped a red joker with Levi on the iron skeeter, which, adding an hit from A&D, sent Burt (which just got  brought there by the I.S.) to one wound due to the burning damage, bringing me to 6 models total! Luckly, I took that in count, spreaded my models so that i had a quarter under my control to score Claim Jump, and maaged to get a couple of heads ready for the succeding turns, managing to score a point from dig their graves too. Quite damaging for my opponent was that he took accusation! and gave the condition to the 1 wound Burt, who quickly suicided with rekless to prevent his point. Game ended 7/5 for me, adding 3 heads to the total. Models of the game where Zipp, who kept levi from doind anything with a bunch of suppressive Piano-droppings, and Fingers, thanks to which he wasn't able to place a single accusation on my models. I'm starting to get the hang of using the Piano as a way to get a free walk+attack as @Joel mentioned, and it's pretty awesome.

Third game was my loss of the day. I was against a Reva (against which I have almost no expirience) in Interference: I scored full points from my schemes (undercover entourage and claim jump), but I did a really poor job strategy-wise, which led me to score a single point from it. Game ended 8/7 for him. I was really tempted to bring Somer out, but i said to myself i wanted to use only Zipp, even if it was not his game, and kinda paid for it, since I have poor expiriences with Zipp in Interrference.

Over all, the crew list did well, even tho I wasn't able to get a ''sold'' win on the first round, but I think I'll leave the Infamy's Captain behind for a while now, since I'm starting to have trouble getting things down the way I want and I'm starting to get bored because of the amount of games I had with him in the last months. Also, I got again the Somer-fever, and when the boss calls, it's  better to answer ;) Surely this doesn't mean I'll stop using him, I'll just maybe switch the focus on Somer and keep him just behind him to grant cover form above ;) 

Thanks to anyone reading this, and any feedback is appreciated :) 

4 people like this