Zipp - rather good fun

Joel

1 minute ago, Von Woozle said:

Sure it sorry it wont happen again.  It's not like I was being rude just adding a bit of humor I'm sorry that it upset anyone.  But what I said is all correct right so no need to spend 7SS on to get a scrap marker when you have diatribe and one of 20+ cards. 

No worries, I got it but to some might be annoying ;) thanks for the good sportsmanship ;) also i guess depend on the situation: i generally prefer a focus on Zipp and use the tome for something like spark, Frank or a skeeter, but imo both the MechPorkchop and your idea works. The Porkchop just has easier times providing it, while being good at some other stuff too :) 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Von Woozle said:

If it were 6ss I'd find a place for it as it also has some useful triggers and it wouldn't be fighting for the same spot as Taxi, Burt, Franky, Sammy and would be replacing an Ironskeeter.

Mechpork has the surprisingly useful station ability - it's a Minion. It is our toughest Minion and that can be useful, especially so in GG2017. Also, I find that all Pigs (barring Gracie and Stuffed Piglets) really need the Pig synergy to get the full fun out of them. For example, I consider an unsupported Sow somewhat lackluster but I really love her when I give her enough support to make her sing.

Now, I'm not saying that they aren't just a wee bit overpriced - they probably are! But they aren't bad, either and they do have their place, IMO.

One big thing about them is that they don't put a strain on your hand. Bayou Two-card and the positive twists that they give can really work to your advantage when your Master, for example, is hogging up cards like there's no tomorrow.

• Like 4

12 minutes ago, victorybod said:

Tried sparks with zipp tonight, managed to get the "stuffed piglets bomb combo" to go off. Man, that was awesome! Also, fast on a whiskey golem that "grabs a rope" then runs straight at the enemy can really put them on the back foot turn 1! 

I still need to get that one working, well done.  What was your full list?

I didn't change my list up for tonight's game, it was standard guard the stash vs Nellie.  I tried eliminate the leadership and last stand.  I got full strategy points and full points for eliminate, but nothing for last stand as I never had less models than my opponent. 

50 SS Gremlins Crew
Zipp + 5 Pool
 - No Quarter (1)
 - Dirty Cheater (1)
 - Stilts (1)
Earl Burns (3)
The First Mate (9)
 - Hovering Airship (0)
 - Where The Captain Can't See (1)
Sparks (7)
Whiskey Golem (10)
 - Barrel Up (0)
Burt Jebsen (7)
 - Dirty Cheater (1)
Merris LaCroix (6)
Stuffed Piglet (2)

(exported from CrewFaux)

He was ressers, had Molly, yin, 2belles, the emissary, a Hanged ad graveyard spirit. Can't remember what the upgrades were. 

Strat was headhunter, I took claim jump and frame for murder on Merris, he had marked for death and FFM on the Hanged. Turn one I put fast on the golem, companioned  to zipp and swung the golem up. It charged the Hanged (which had moved up to cover) and my opponent  spent the rest of the turn dealing with it while I moved everything up behind a wall of clouds. 

Turn 2 He lured Merris with a Belle then Merris put 4 burning on the Hanged (which had already had poison from the golem) Molly then killed Merris getting me 3points for FFM. The hanged died from burning/poison that turn so I'd escaped that one! I scored full for claim jump using 1st mate and Earl, he kept luring me, marking me, and picking up the heads so full points for those 2. Game ended 7-7 as I'd only managed to pick up 1 head. I dropped the stuffed pig bomb on the emissary and a Belle turn 3 dealing 6 damage to each!! The look on his face ????

• Like 2

I'm probably far too cautious, struggled getting the scrap markers for sparks. Zipp only took 3 damage all game. I normally use him to screen everything for the 1st 2 turns then run him into the enemy. 1st mate and earl were scheme running & dropping piano's from behind a building. I do need to look at what upgrades I have on people, I'll have to dig them all out and have a proper read. 

You're welcome bud. 

I've managed another game today, almost the same list as before but I spent 2ss on a second stuffed piglet and went with 5ss to test it out.  I missed those soulstones!!

game was standard deployment interference with a pool of claim jump, accusation, frame for murder, recover evidence and hidden trap.

i was facing asami in this crew:

asami (3 upgrades)

Bettie (recalled)

yasanori (recalled)

low river monk

2 10T bros

yokai

i announced recover evidence at the start of turn 2 and collected markers in turns 2 and 3.  I didn't get my frame for murder as I'd put it on the wrong target - I had it on roscoe who was paired with Burt.  I was hoping to use slippery to put incoming damage onto the skeeter, but when Bettie went in the skeeter wasn't a legal target.

game ended 5-4 to me with a full 5 turns played. I'd given away 1 point for accusation and my opponent had scored 3 interference points too as I was shedding models fast in turns 3/4. 

• Like 2

I'll run him this weekend as I'm happy with the Wong alpha strike and it is a small field. I'll add my thoughts Monday or so. 

im not keen on taking more than 3 stuffed piglets as i feel cheesey, ill likely run Earl, 1 or 2 lightning bugs, a skeeter, burt and taxidermist then fill out from there.

im keen on using the piano with the boss man himself. be interesting to change and see how many mistakes i make :P.

• Like 2

I'm dreaming about robot construct gremlins in tandem with Lazarus. My latest imagining is a Fast and Recklessed and Focused construct Francois companioning off of Laz (or Zipp bringing in two or three targets with Up We Go that have also been pounce slapped by First Mate) with Crows and plus flips from Earl and hitting his Loose Trigger Trigger 8 times in a row, using all my cards and DCs to wipe out all the baddies in one go :crow:+fate:+fate:D

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Joel said:

I always put the hovering airship on Zipp to help him benefit from the free moves on masks.

I've been lurking and reading the thread over the last few months. I've tried out hovering airship on Zipp and have not had good luck. Maybe because we play with lots of terrain but I always feel that even with not needing LOS they will still have cover so its either focus and shoot while risking a miss or just do the walk and get up in their face to charge. 

How are you able to use this ability effectively while maintaining AP efficiency and not risking failure in missing and then not being where you need to be? 

• Like 1

I play with lots of terrain myself, and yes, sometimes you have to risk the negative flip on the attack, but you can try:

earl activates and hands out masks

zipp picks up a friendly model who relents - throws it forward probably doing 2 damage to it. Zipp moves 8" himself from the trigger (and has his target in a better position) - he can also then push the same target with his (0) action.

with this move, zipp may well be in a position to avoid cover.  If this is turn 1 however, and they have hugged cover, go with the first mate before Zipp and use menacing croak to push people out of cover for the pianos.

You could also move once, focus and drop a piano, then move again off the trigger.

in other lists, Gracie can saddle Zipp and move him into position - she can go a considerable distance with reactivate - and then Zipp can attack from a position that avoids cover with at least 2 if not 3 attacks.

if you want to try something different - Zipp could hire the student of conflict instead of earl, the student can make him fast, and can keep pace with him if hopping onboard an iron skeeter.  

Hope that helps.  

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Joel said:

I play with lots of terrain myself, and yes, sometimes you have to risk the negative flip on the attack, but you can try:

earl activates and hands out masks

zipp picks up a friendly model who relents - throws it forward probably doing 2 damage to it. Zipp moves 8" himself from the trigger (and has his target in a better position) - he can also then push the same target with his (0) action.

with this move, zipp may well be in a position to avoid cover.  If this is turn 1 however, and they have hugged cover, go with the first mate before Zipp and use menacing croak to push people out of cover for the pianos.

You could also move once, focus and drop a piano, then move again off the trigger.

in other lists, Gracie can saddle Zipp and move him into position - she can go a considerable distance with reactivate - and then Zipp can attack from a position that avoids cover with at least 2 if not 3 attacks.

if you want to try something different - Zipp could hire the student of conflict instead of earl, the student can make him fast, and can keep pace with him if hopping onboard an iron skeeter.  

Hope that helps.  

Cool, thanks for the ideas. 

1 hour ago, generalbear said:

After reading through this thread maybe im missing something here, or the likely hood of me just being a rubbish player is more obvious but im not getting the results with Zipp you guys seem to be in 5 games its 1=1=3 win draw loss

Give me an idea if the lists you are using and what you are using the models for and I'll see what advice I can give.

Construct Dreams, Night 3:

Sparks Metal Platin' Trigger:

Overtime: Once per Turn, after succeeding, this model may take a second (0) Action this Turn.

Is there anything anywhere that says it can't be the same (0) action? Because it doesn't say it on the card, and I think it specifies it on others.

(Given 2 scrap markers) Can Sparks make 2 Constructs per turn?

6 hours ago, Je ne c'est LaCroix said:

Construct Dreams, Night 3:

Sparks Metal Platin' Trigger:

Overtime: Once per Turn, after succeeding, this model may take a second (0) Action this Turn.

Is there anything anywhere that says it can't be the same (0) action? Because it doesn't say it on the card, and I think it specifies it on others.

(Given 2 scrap markers) Can Sparks make 2 Constructs per turn?

Yes he could - this could mean that Earl could hand out suits to 2 models he normally couldn't. Building on triggers to burt/frank for example. 

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Joel said:

Yes he could - this could mean that Earl could hand out suits to 2 models he normally couldn't. Building on triggers to burt/frank for example.

I'm also thinking a turn of crows, Francois and Trixie, fast, reckless, companion. Zipp grabs a couple targets and drops within 10. Robot Frank gets a bunch of Loose Trigger until everything in range is dead. Robot Trixie pushes away everything else within 18 and Slows them all..