Zipp - rather good fun

Joel

21 minutes ago, Von Woozle said:

So Fingers is a better version of the 1st mate :P  I've been using the 1stmate to keep in theme and I love the model way more.

Shoot5 though :( and you need a mask as well so it's not as simple as you make it seem.  I'm going to give it a pop because of the range and no LOS

I found Diatribe not to be worth it without Sparks can use the scrap.  The last thing I want to do is give the enemy a chance to dump low cards for higher cards and since I can't see the other players hand, I'm unlikely to chance it. 

Anyone Played vs Reva yet? 

Not yet but I might in the future since a friend of mine spams her at tournaments.  She's really scary tho, but smokescreens and Taxidermist should do the job.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, EpicWaffle said:

It does not unfortunately cause you have to declare it before the duel resolve! And the damage flip is already outside of the duel

Yeah I posted it before reading the last couple of replies. I guess if you want to negate RJ damage flips you better play Nellie.

• Like 1

I agree with @Joel on the shoot 5, which is what seems to concern more people about the upgrade. You need o keep in count that a Df 5 is the avarage defense in malifaux, having 6 as good and 7 as "almost unreachable". You have a lot of huge pieces with Df 4 and in general minions/enforcers won't have much more aside from some exceptions. So a sht5 that can get a plus on dmg flip out of a trigger, on a 12 inch range from which you can't hide (without forgetting it can get from 3 to 8 damages with a Rj), it's not something your opponent's gonna joke about.

Also I would remember that Somer has a shooting 5, but would you say his boomer is a bad attack? ;) 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Joel said:

if it flips, it flips - otherwise just do your best to keep them at neg flips so they can't cheat it in.  I find zipp takes very little damage over a game though.

Agree, until now he never died or reached half wound in a game. I think people just don't want it to go everywhere with his trigger

Another Zipp game last night - guard the stash vs Viktoria.  I decided to give Merris a run out alongside the first mate.  

I didn't think the list I took would be as Killy as it was, so I didn't go for eliminate leadership, but instead tried hidden trap.  Turns out there weren't enough models left for me to score that in the end. 

Burt and taxidermist combo took out the viks, stuffed piglet explosions did for Vanessa, and Zipp dealt with the librarian, Lazarus and trapper. My opponent's ronin committed  seppuku (after taking the first mate out) - leaving just the Malifaux Child. 

I picked up a box of lightning bugs and a box of survivors from the FLGS - going to get them assembled this week hopefully.  The survivors look especially interesting with Zipp

7 minutes ago, Joel said:

Another Zipp game last night - guard the stash vs Viktoria.  I decided to give Merris a run out alongside the first mate.  

I didn't think the list I took would be as Killy as it was, so I didn't go for eliminate leadership, but instead tried hidden trap.  Turns out there weren't enough models left for me to score that in the end. 

Burt and taxidermist combo took out the viks, stuffed piglet explosions did for Vanessa, and Zipp dealt with the librarian, Lazarus and trapper. My opponent's ronin committed  seppuku (after taking the first mate out) - leaving just the Malifaux Child. 

I picked up a box of lightning bugs and a box of survivors from the FLGS - going to get them assembled this week hopefully.  The survivors look especially interesting with Zipp

Glad you're trying out the Bugs, I'm pretty sure you'll like them! For the survivors I was thinking about them too, maybe in situations where you want to hold your place (like Mei rent miners) but I don't know.. they seem card intensive to work.

anyway hidden trap is quite something: I usually take it when my opponent has some fairly resistente model which I can deal with without sending them back to the storage and I place some random schemes around with extra activations, just to be sure to have something. It can be a pretty good counter for search the ruins

Lol. Had a game vs Viks in Guard the Stash yesterday as well.

Im not kidding, it's been like 10 games where I continuously flip bullsh* 80% of the time. Not saying Im not making mistakes as well. But those alone dont account for the stuff thats been happening recently.
Anyway, the tradition continued and I failed every duel that was more or less important. And most of the others as well.

Reached a point where its just not fun anymore to play the game. Not good.

(Yes, you can consider this whining)

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Obeisance said:

I've played about 3-4 games with a single Lightning Bug and found it much better than expected. Tinkering With The Unknown is such a trap, though. If you tinker it'll die or get pushed around.

And you want those low tomes for your Mech Skeeter carrying Burt.

I don't use the skeeter much often so that's why I use it so much :) I generally wait to activate bugs if I want to go that route tho. You can also bluff fairly tho if you have the cards for it ;)

1 hour ago, cryion said:

Lol. Had a game vs Viks in Guard the Stash yesterday as well.

Im not kidding, it's been like 10 games where I continuously flip bullsh* 80% of the time. Not saying Im not making mistakes as well. But those alone dont account for the stuff thats been happening recently.
Anyway, the tradition continued and I failed every duel that was more or less important. And most of the others as well.

Reached a point where its just not fun anymore to play the game. Not good.

(Yes, you can consider this whining)

Unfortunately that is something that every game has as a constant. I find that when I tend to see my deck badly stacked, I force as many duels as possible with earlie activations (piglets charging, earl flipping etc.) just to dish away some crap: from there, I go with the mind set that I'm gonna pick up another crap card even tho I flipped half of them (thanks Murphy -.-) so instead of maybe 2 attacks on a model I'm engaged, I focus and than attack in order to maybe get the odds better. Other route is pretty simple: you see you have the worst card you've ever saw? Either forget about dueling (just keep stuff engaged as give some defensive where it needs) or try your luck with it, but switch focus on what can get you points without cards involved and go for it.

Still, bad luck is bad luck and it can get frustrated: last month I was playing a tournament,net final, had a lot of possibilities to win but I needed some of my opponent stuff (an amazing Leveticus player) to die. Little did I know, Burt and zipp flipped 1 black joker a turn, all on damages (no joking, 4 black jokers out of 5) and with diatribe, just to be sure to aid him some more, I gave the red joker to my opponents T.T still, keep playing and focus on your actions instead of the deck, in order to find ways to mitigate bad luck ;) 

if your hand is really bad, Zipp and the crew can really suffer as they are very intensive - so, rambling diatribe and do over to the rescue - replacing several cards in your hand can get you out of dodge.  Ronin can also be sacrificed for cards or stones too.

I had merris carry do over last night and it was able to restock my hand mid turn 2 - at a vital point in the game.  I actually felt that this was a good home for this upgrade for the first time.

Well my hands werent terrible for a change. But if everything goes wrong that only gets you so far. Like Blood simply had to go and it cost me most of my hand because flips simply didnt do the trick.

I do understand that I have to play smart and act according to my hand. But just to give you an idea about the fun I had recently:

* Burt unable to kill a Guild Rifleman and in return getting killed by it (!)
* Somer with 3 wounds. Gets shot by Dashel (2/2/4). Dashel is on a minus due to softcover. Hits. Minus on damage. Severe.  (!)
* In TT, 7 recalled training attacks (Shen Long, Reactivated Swordsman) unable to kill an Arcane Emissary. I think I didnt even get it to much over half wounds.

That is about how my games are going recently.
That Somer death gave me a good laugh though, so theres at least that. haha

edit: and Diatribe again didnt really convince me. Managed to replace a 2 with another 2. THat one time it made me draw the BJ, which is obviously great. But other than that.. I probably just suck using it. haha

25 minutes ago, cryion said:

Well my hands werent terrible for a change. But if everything goes wrong that only gets you so far. Like Blood simply had to go and it cost me most of my hand because flips simply didnt do the trick.

I do understand that I have to play smart and act according to my hand. But just to give you an idea about the fun I had recently:

* Burt unable to kill a Guild Rifleman and in return getting killed by it (!)
* Somer with 3 wounds. Gets shot by Dashel (2/2/4). Dashel is on a minus due to softcover. Hits. Minus on damage. Severe.  (!)
* In TT, 7 recalled training attacks (Shen Long, Reactivated Swordsman) unable to kill an Arcane Emissary. I think I didnt even get it to much over half wounds.

That is about how my games are going recently.
That Somer death gave me a good laugh though, so theres at least that. haha

edit: and Diatribe again didnt really convince me. Managed to replace a 2 with another 2. THat one time it made me draw the BJ, which is obviously great. But other than that.. I probably just suck using it. haha

Did you diatribe to change one card in your hand?

21 minutes ago, cryion said:

Since there was no push target and no good reason to target an enemy model, yes. What can ya do if the game is making you work for every single card? :P

not much :)  however,  know that over time luck evens itself out

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Four_N_Six said:

I've wanted to bring Survivors in for a while now.  Need an excuse to buy them.  I've always thought they'd do well in a Zipp and Mah Tucket crew.

being constructs means earl can heal them

stopping charges near them is a very useful ability and is an easy-ish flip to make

gaining suits from earl can cure some of their problems - if he can give them pos flips, even better!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Joel said:

being constructs means earl can heal them

stopping charges near them is a very useful ability and is an easy-ish flip to make

gaining suits from earl can cure some of their problems - if he can give them pos flips, even better!

I want to try an all construct (or primarily at least) Zipp crew, which would allow Earl to have a much easier time giving the crew those :+fate .  Sparks, Survivors, Skeeters, and Whiskey.

19 minutes ago, Four_N_Six said:

I want to try an all construct (or primarily at least) Zipp crew, which would allow Earl to have a much easier time giving the crew those :+fate .  Sparks, Survivors, Skeeters, and Whiskey.

It's clearly not a good idea or a good crew, but go ahead no one will stop you :)