Gallows Question

H4ml3t

So I have a plan and the materials on hand to build a Gallows for Malifaux terrain but I can't decide how to finish the bass wood I'm using.

Leave it natural? Stain it? Weather it with some wash? If I'm going to stain it I want to do it before I start gluing. What are your all's thoughts on what will look the coolest?

I'm planning to use it on both a cobblestone streets kind of board as well as a dusty boomtown board.

If the grain is pretty tight I think staining with an acrylic wash would be best. You can color and weather to taste. Then assemble and touch up the cut ends.

Easiest thing would be to just test it on a piece of the building material and see if you like it.

Worst case...it is not to your liking and you then build it first...prime it black and use the basic paint techniques and bring it to where you like it. 

That's how I would go about it anyways.

• Like 1

Get some distilled white vinegar and some steel wool. Submerge the steel wool in the vinegar and let it soak overnight. Rough up the wood using a wire brush then "paint" the wood with the vinegar. The oxidation will weather the wood very, very, quickly.

If you're going this route do it before assembly because it won't penetrate glue.

For an example of what it looks like, the Swamp Board Ideas thread has some structures with boards aged that way.

• Like 3

• 1 month later...
On 9/17/2016 at 10:56 AM, Roadhouse said:

Get some distilled white vinegar and some steel wool. Submerge the steel wool in the vinegar and let it soak overnight. Rough up the wood using a wire brush then "paint" the wood with the vinegar. The oxidation will weather the wood very, very, quickly.

If you're going this route do it before assembly because it won't penetrate glue.

For an example of what it looks like, the Swamp Board Ideas thread has some structures with boards aged that way.

I got busy with other stuff and now I'm not certain I'm going to be making a gallows at all but this seems like a really cool plan. I'll post pics once I use it.