First round of Divergent Paths up

Squirrelich

*the Malifaux Child turns up in her capacity as errand girl for Hoffman*

Message for the M&SU and affiliates: I won't take points for the Man off of you if you don't take them off of us. Too busy fighting for the Child against the stinking rotten Neverborn. And besides, the idea of another little girl happily learning to thump people because of the inspiration of Ironsides is just cool.

• Like 1

Bit disappointed we didn't get any wins this round, I was really hoping for a new Frozen Heart model.  Child does sound the most interesting this round I think, but if we get the Self Righteous Man then we'd have him at least 2/5 times which would give us a good chance at taking him for good.

• Like 2

...Reading through the Self-Righteous Man scenario.. It seems like a free 3 VP if you're running Ironsides. You lookin' at me? to pull them in, they get a swing, cheat low with Tomes, they do first bit of damage. Your counter attack flip is second bit of damage. Continue using Ironsides to keep people from interacting with the Objective.

WhIle the idea of the kid going through a Rocky montage is fun, who doesn't want our werewolf lawyer to up his book smarts  (academic, anyone?) and back up Amina?

From a logical standpoint,  if we want a character when all is said and done, it'seems focuses effort that will pull them in. This week's is a particularly good one for the Man, which would get us another week of wins for him and pull us ahead of the pack. (Wolf pun indended).

• Like 1

5 hours ago, spooky_squirrel said:

...Reading through the Self-Righteous Man scenario.. It seems like a free 3 VP if you're running Ironsides. You lookin' at me? to pull them in, they get a swing, cheat low with Tomes, they do first bit of damage. Your counter attack flip is second bit of damage. Continue using Ironsides to keep people from interacting with the Objective.

Just be careful of anyone that has Obey as they can force you to do the same, if they declare Neverborn or Gremlins there is a good chance *Guild also has Perdita for it*.

• Like 1

I'm thinking of running Visions Sandeep for the Man, between Constant Yammering to mess with them swaying the judges and being able to put out late turn Don't Mind Me'd Interacts to Sway him at the last second sounds pretty good to me.  Although running Ironsides does sound pretty good as well, probably with a Performer to still have access to Don't Mind Me.

• Like 2

Well, time for personal opinions. Not too excited for this round. Even though it was Fated to happen because people thought it is cool I'm not a fan of the Guild getting the man. I've lost all interest in the Trickster based on where she currently is, I guess I'm ok with the child's state of a swarm of mini-teddies friends.

So who am I going to fight for this round? The man just to get a model back in the Faction? Or the child? While I do not like the idea of a Little Mac boxer (there are some martial arts I believe a child can be effective in but I do not think Boxing, a sport that from my understanding emphasizes reach and strength in addition to speed and endurance, has a high probability of being in that list. To be fair though, I only train in a throwing/grappling martial art so I may be wrong.), if she could perhaps go more the "You looking at me?" route and pull people into a swarm of teddies... I can see the appeal in that. But that would also require wrestling the kid away from two rounds of neverborn swarming her if we wanted her in the end. So what to do?

Agreed, more Academic ties are needed. I'm kinda warming to the idea that Guild won him briefly, to add this potential Academic feel to him, but now we must get him back. If we secure him, depending on the remaining encounters, he could very well get some Beast synergies & some Academic synergies. 

I'll try get a game in this week. Sadly, I do not have Ironsides or Sandeep which you mention might be adept in this one. Any ideas in this strategy for Kaeris/Mei/Ramos?

5 minutes ago, hydranixx said:

Agreed, more Academic ties are needed. I'm kinda warming to the idea that Guild won him briefly, to add this potential Academic feel to him, but now we must get him back. If we secure him, depending on the remaining encounters, he could very well get some Beast synergies & some Academic synergies. 

I'll try get a game in this week. Sadly, I do not have Ironsides or Sandeep which you mention might be adept in this one. Any ideas in this strategy for Kaeris/Mei/Ramos?

Ramos spider factory would run all over the the activation and bodycount. The wording on the special actions specifies enemy model, so you can be consuming your own spiders and setting up the swarm to force bad decisions on your opponent, all while wrapping the judge up in a ball of spiders.

• Like 1

I have decided to fight for the kid this round for the Arcanists. The more I think about it, I love the turn of events.

Toni Ironsides becoming an inspirational hero by just being herself is awesome. Really fits her Rippling Fates story and endears her to me more.

The girl not losing either of her parents, but still finding strength on her own. Her parents can still come later and be a future story point for her.

And of course, the Tiny Teddy and the Wicked Dolls also learning how to box which could potentially give them entirely different flavor than a regular Teddy and Wicked Dolls.

EDIT: Also, kinda wanting to try out my Ice Dancers, so that helps.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Parker Barrows said:

I have decided to fight for the kid this round for the Arcanists. The more I think about it, I love the turn of events.

Toni Ironsides becoming an inspirational hero by just being herself is awesome. Really fits her Rippling Fates story and endears her to me more.

The girl not losing either of her parents, but still finding strength on her own. Her parents can still come later and be a future story point for her.

And of course, the Tiny Teddy and the Wicked Dolls also learning how to box which could potentially give them entirely different flavor than a regular Teddy and Wicked Dolls.

EDIT: Also, kinda wanting to try out my Ice Dancers, so that helps.

MINI BOXING TEDDY!

19 hours ago, hydranixx said:

Any ideas in this strategy for Kaeris/Mei/Ramos?

Kaeris jumped out at me right away for the man's day in court.

Burning isn't damage, so despite people in his courtroom suddenly combusting, the judge won't freak out, and while burning is benerally easier to deal with than damage, in this scenario if the opponent is using AP to put themselves out, they aren't litigating or swaying the judge. Plus, Kaeris has a ton of board control she can do with her Blinding Flame upgrade.

I think you could take either limited on her since the pyre markers will limit their access to the judge while giving you more access to non-attack action damage via hazardous terrain. But personally I'm planning on taking grab & drop to put down a bunch of free, uncaring-about-4"-distances markers near the judge in a hurry, and also bring Willie for his action to blow up scheme markers when enemies come close. Add in the effigy for removing Fees and some ice dancers for their ice path markers to keep the opposing models sliding away from the judge and I'm guessing a lot of players will attack first put of frustration. 

Other thought I had is to put Open Current on Joss and run him up near the center to keep them at - flips on all Ca actions, like litigate and approach the bench. For bonus points put in an oxford mage with Blood Ward (I believe) to keep Joss (with warding runes) immune to enemy conditions.

All this and the thing I keep laughing about is the courtroom will A] be frosted over, B] be on fire, C] have dynamite flying through the air, and D] contain a large man with an axe-shaped Tesla coil, and the Judge is fine with it. But anybody punches someone in the face and he freaks out.

Laughter ensues.

• Like 4

8 hours ago, Boomstick24 said:

Kaeris jumped out at me right away for the man's day in court.

Burning isn't damage, so despite people in his courtroom suddenly combusting, the judge won't freak out, and while burning is benerally easier to deal with than damage, in this scenario if the opponent is using AP to put themselves out, they aren't litigating or swaying the judge. Plus, Kaeris has a ton of board control she can do with her Blinding Flame upgrade.

I think you could take either limited on her since the pyre markers will limit their access to the judge while giving you more access to non-attack action damage via hazardous terrain. But personally I'm planning on taking grab & drop to put down a bunch of free, uncaring-about-4"-distances markers near the judge in a hurry, and also bring Willie for his action to blow up scheme markers when enemies come close. Add in the effigy for removing Fees and some ice dancers for their ice path markers to keep the opposing models sliding away from the judge and I'm guessing a lot of players will attack first put of frustration. 

Other thought I had is to put Open Current on Joss and run him up near the center to keep them at - flips on all Ca actions, like litigate and approach the bench. For bonus points put in an oxford mage with Blood Ward (I believe) to keep Joss (with warding runes) immune to enemy conditions.

All this and the thing I keep laughing about is the courtroom will A] be frosted over, B] be on fire, C] have dynamite flying through the air, and D] contain a large man with an axe-shaped Tesla coil, and the Judge is fine with it. But anybody punches someone in the face and he freaks out.

Laughter ensues.

I like it! I think I will definitely consider the Kaeris option depending on who I'm up against. I've always liked throwing people around with Blinding Flame.

I presume you're referring to Bleeding Edge Tech, rather than Open Current though? Open Current forces a Df within 8" I think, which if failed puts remaining Df duels on a - flip for the turn, while Bleeding Edge Tech simply puts all Ca actions within 3" on a - flip. Seems like anyone holding Bleeding Edge could be valuable, though yeah, Joss would be the most survivable so he'd be best suited to chilling out near the judge with it.

Having more closely read the strategy, I'm thinking that Mei Feng could be pretty disgusting at it as well; I could literally get her by the Judge on turn 1 with Porkchop helping her move, and sway him in preparation for turn 2. Vent Steam multiple times each subsequent round, essentially denying any Lures, most placement tricks, movement tricks, conditions as well as Litigate or Approach the Bench. It allows her to sit camping almost the entire 50mm base the Judge is on each round, with him already swayed my way with that 3" engagement range. I'd probably post another model on the far side of the Judge to prevent interactions on the flank where Mei can't stop them; this is where Joss with BET comes in.

The only weakness would be against someone with Dont Mind Me. I would probably bring The Firestarter and Emberling to burn any Dont Mind Me models down.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, hydranixx said:

I like it! I think I will definitely consider the Kaeris option depending on who I'm up against. I've always liked throwing people around with Blinding Flame.

I presume you're referring to Bleeding Edge Tech, rather than Open Current though? Open Current forces a Df within 8" I think, which if failed puts remaining Df duels on a - flip for the turn, while Bleeding Edge Tech simply puts all Ca actions within 3" on a - flip. Seems like anyone holding Bleeding Edge could be valuable, though yeah, Joss would be the most survivable so he'd be best suited to chilling out near the judge with it.

Having more closely read the strategy, I'm thinking that Mei Feng could be pretty disgusting at it as well; I could literally get her by the Judge on turn 1 with Porkchop helping her move, and sway him in preparation for turn 2. Vent Steam multiple times each subsequent round, essentially denying any Lures, most placement tricks, movement tricks, conditions as well as Litigate or Approach the Bench. It allows her to sit camping almost the entire 50mm base the Judge is on each round, with him already swayed my way with that 3" engagement range. I'd probably post another model on the far side of the Judge to prevent interactions on the flank where Mei can't stop them; this is where Joss with BET comes in.

The only weakness would be against someone with Dont Mind Me. I would probably bring The Firestarter and Emberling to burn any Dont Mind Me models down.

I totally had the upgrades switched in my head, you're right.

Wow, that'sounds a stupendous idea for Mei. I'd mentally brushed her aside considering I usually play her very upfront and aggressive. 

Another thought to get around Don't Mind Me is to bring a performer so you have your own and maintain activation control. With Mei, I'd drop the MechChop and fit in the MechPony for the summoning (spiders can litigate as well as anyone, and have high defence), plus, with Joss with BET they'll all get healed up. 

With Joss and the Mechpony you have two solid constructs for Mei to jump to in the opening turn, then the latter can run around popping out spiders in a near perimeter and getting schemes done. Firestarter can still light up problem models if you need.

26 minutes ago, MunkyMuddFace said:

One game at the shop last night. 

Mirror Match with 7thSquirrel: Sandeep vs Ironsides for the wolfman. A close game, but Sandeep lost 6-7. 

I honestly think it was only close because you never got Banasuva out. If you had it out even once it would have been a landslide to you.

1 hour ago, 7thSquirrel said:

I honestly think it was only close because you never got Banasuva out. If you had it out even once it would have been a landslide to you.

Maybe. My main regret was trying too hard to evade "You lookin' at me" that gave you 3VP from the forced attack. Those couple cards could have been better used. I should have been smarter with my Valedictorian placement as well. I wanted her in LOS of Ironsides to turn off her triggers to slow her down. All in all, a good fun game, my first time seeing Ironsides on the table.

1 hour ago, MunkyMuddFace said:

Maybe. My main regret was trying too hard to evade "You lookin' at me" that gave you 3VP from the forced attack. Those couple cards could have been better used. I should have been smarter with my Valedictorian placement as well. I wanted her in LOS of Ironsides to turn off her triggers to slow her down. All in all, a good fun game, my first time seeing Ironsides on the table.

Neat thing: You lookin' at me calls for a melee attack, so if you're worried about the free VP for that specific scenario, mess up her LOS with things that don't have Ml(1) attack actions. In Sandeep's crew, that's things like Oxfordian Mages. They'll get pulled forward, absolutely, but they're not able to attack, and with Ht:2 and a 40mm base, they'll mess up her line of sight for targeting and auras. It's not something I would expect you to pick up the first time you see Ironsides across the table from you unless you've played her yourself, because it's an unusual ability. This interplay is one of the ways in which Ironsides can influence/control her crew up the board for better positioning.

edit note: this is how you use Ironsides to get some serious mobility out of the Emissary, it has a charge of 10 and walk of 4, but its Ml(1) action can only be used as part of a charge action.

• Like 1