Welcome to Wyrd Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Aaron

Divergent Paths Info

97 posts in this topic

I enjoyed this event in entirely different ways than I did Nythera. Getting to see these characters' stories twist and turn depending on all our decisions wasc really cool, and it was amazing to watch some of our new players get deeply invested in the possible options. 

As far as the cheating goes,  that's horrible to hear, but as has been stated above,  not completely unexpected,  the Internet being as it is. Hopefully doing something, maybe more like Nythera's reporting system would help? I realize needing everyone who wants to contribute be a part of the forums is is own hurdle, but I also don't recall hearing any issues with cheating that time around. 

I really enjoyed the event. The only problem I had was that I had a Competitive League going on at the same time. So I couldn't get the any games in after the first couple of weeks. Nothing that Wyrd can do about that, except maybe give Henchmen a heads-up when stuff like this is going to happen.

That being said, I really enjoyed the stories and the new story encounters of the ones I got to play.

I really hope that after all the weeks playing I hope to see some concept art for their final forms as well as the front of the stat cards. At the very least I'd like to know if they can be hired out of faction, since my faction didn't win either of the three.

1 person likes this

Sigh
Poor Child - this is the worst ending for her(( Very sad.
And it's really sad that the Guild show so bad results((

2 people like this

Any chance you could share any regional numbers?
ie: games played UK vs. US vs. other places

1 person likes this

13 minutes ago, Nemikan said:

Any chance you could share any regional numbers?
ie: games played UK vs. US vs. other places

I don't think they collected info about where the games were hosted. Which is sad, because I'm curious about it too.

1 person likes this

I really enjoyed this, the longer periods made it really accessible and i managed to get all the firestorm boys playing story encounters for more than a month, it was a great break from tournament style games and the extra story and fluff around each week made it something I started looking forward to a lot on the mondays:) One of Malifaux's strongest points is the story you put so much effort into, and this style of campaign lets player feel they are able to be so involved with that:) Thanks guys! 

5 hours ago, Fetid Strumpet said:

*sigh* pretty much as soon as the Trickster got any tie to the Dreamer we were pretty much certain to lose her. Oh well...

Sad to see... though i can appreciate the irony that i was originally rooting for Neverborn to win the Trickster and am most displeased that they won.

As they say in Malifaux, Bad Things Happen. 

Good: I heavily enjoyed the fluff pieces and battle for the characters throughout the weeks. My favorite moments were actually brought about by another contributor though. @Gnomezilla brought a lot of joy (HAHA) to the game with her passion for the child. One of the reasons i love Malifaux is the community so seeing her drive was a big :+fate.

Bad: As i said above a large part of my enjoyment (HAHAHA) of the game comes from the community, so hearing that cheating was a big problem in the final round is disheartening. I only hope that the cheating didn't cause any faction to win or lose a character or ability in the end. 

Edited by TheJoyInGaming
Because i should probably contribute
3 people like this

Great event, really enjoyed the story format.

The only improvements I would like to see would be in the way calculations were made and the amount of feedback about results.

If your smallest faction gets no wins, and your second smallest gets only one, you are pushing people away from the smallest factions towards the bigger ones, which seems counter intuitive for the health of Malifaux as a whole.

The losses were exacerbated by the lack of anything to talk about. The forums went dead after the first few fortnights for the smaller factions, because what could you say but "lost again". The factions that were winning were way more active, as people discussed strategies and plans.

I suggest that next time there is something to talk about for the losers, or some way to contribute apart from winning/losing games. Perhaps the faction could vote on which direction a story arc would take, or which character they would insert into the story next? Something for people to get their teeth into, anyhow.

3 people like this

2 minutes ago, anencephalous said:

The losses were exacerbated by the lack of anything to talk about. The forums went dead after the first few fortnights for the smaller factions, because what could you say but "lost again". The factions that were winning were way more active, as people discussed strategies and plans.

This is the best way I've seen to put what was bothering me about not having week to week or scenario to scenario numbers. I understand it was more focused on telling the story, but I couldnt help but feel that if people had numbers to look at there would have been more activity on the forums to keep up active interest. "We only missed that character by 5 wins. Focus on them next time!" That sort of thing.

Regrets:

1) Guild making a huge push for the man to become a lawyer, and then fracturing after that. 

2) The Trickster not joining up with the Decemberists :D

3) Child-Waif :( (although I am looking at Leveticus this is still a sad ending)

4 people like this

Loved this event, and I hope to see similar such events in the future. Some people were a bit bothered by the big factions taking the lead, but it's a difficult problem to fix. I was dissapointed at time, like the child not getting the Oni-Fan, but then again...

BAD THINGS HAPPEN

But in all honesty the characters still came out pretty well, esepcially the man, whose story was a highlight of the whole event. 

I also just posted a large unreadable wall of text about my feelings of the event if anyone wants to risk an insanity check. 

Warning this check has:-fate:-fate if you are a grammar Nazi. 

Great event, thanks for all Outcasts players who helped to get child!

Also @Aaron is there a chance to get info about prize for people who played games at their local store?

Thanks for running this event, it was a lot of fun overall!  Shame to hear about the cheating, maybe next year you could have players give their win/loss info to the stores they signed up with and have them post it to you (although the stores may not want the extra work)?

Just one question now that the event is over, I know you folks are way busy with the whole Black Friday thing, but is there any chance we'll be getting the story conclusions?  I've really enjoyed reading them so far :D 

2 hours ago, retnab said:

Thanks for running this event, it was a lot of fun overall!  Shame to hear about the cheating, maybe next year you could have players give their win/loss info to the stores they signed up with and have them post it to you (although the stores may not want the extra work)?

I'm fairly sure malifaux has a community more online than personal, or at least split 50/50.  This puts people who don't play at stores, whose regular opponents are nowhere near them, or who simply enjoy the game but have no store nearby, in a problematic place.  It may be a place worth going, though, because of what it can do to cheating, but I'm not sure the losses are worth the gain here.

1 person likes this

Good things: The two-week reporting period and the turnover on Mondays. I know it locked out a few European groups that meet on Mondays, but the lockouts were minimized, and two weeks was enough for most groups to have at least one game. The general length of the campaign and that it will end just before the holiday "can't game, have to socialize" season starts. The number of characters to contest for seven factions. The honesty of Wyrd of allowing factions to win multiple consecutive rounds, even if it killed enthusiasm. The blindingly fast turnaround of the stories and the general use of fluffy stories instead of hard stats in this pre-alpha phase of character design. That Wyrd is trying to coordinate a special event with rewards directly with the FLGSes at all.

I'd like to salute @benjoewoo for his strategizing for each round. It was insightful even though it wasn't for my faction. :P

Bad things: @anencephalous gave words to the lack of engagement for factions falling behind. I think it won't take much of a spoiler from Wyrd to fix that, though. Just "your faction is closest to the lead in character Y" would probably have been enough to spark discussion. Letting factions win consecutive rounds turned out to be a dampener and it might be a good idea to disallow that next time. Not a bad thing per se, but I'd like to know if there was one scenario with a much lower tally of games played because enough people shied away from its special conditions. For example, I don't think my group had a single game of the man's round four where casting was so heavily penalized.

And, of course, the asshats manipulating the reports were bad. :angry:

I would disagree with the idea that knowing where the factions stood would have improved anything. We saw exactly that in Nythera and the exact opposite happened. If you were in one of the factions in that wasn't in the lead the vast amount of interest in the game drained completely, and we saw, or at least I did, examples of players refusing to play games with players of declared factions in the lead, which wasn't in the spirit of the game.

I don't think that there is a perfect rules set that isn't going to have sizable issues with it, no matter how you organize it. I personally preferred just about everything with this event to Nythera, and I liked everything about Nythera more than I liked the initial world wide event that gave us the alt Kaeris. Which overall means I feel that they have been improving each time. They only one I'm undecided on is if I liked this one more than Dead of Winter... I remember liking that one a lot, but it happened during a very busy time and I don't remember much of it, so I can't fairly compare. I just remember I liked it a great deal.

1 person likes this

What?!? Ressers lost the trickster!?! And i jumped on that band wagon after finally giving up hope of gaining the child. *begins breaking necks of all the zombies in the vacinity*  "That's right, you hang your heads in shame.":P

On a side note, what would be  really cool is if Wyrd made a similar  model for each of the factions. Granted  we won't have  say in their stories  or abilities, but it would eliminate  any possibility  of  imbalances  in the factions. Not that a single  model could unbalance  a faction...I hope. :huh:

I think that was always the plan. I doubt very highly they were going to create, say 3 models for every faction, and then just add these extra models on so 3 factions got 4. That could be the plan, but I would doubt it.

I would assume that there was a slate of models to be added to each faction and these slot into some of the places for models to be designed. Perhaps we will luck out and see all of them duel faction with the faction that came next in line behind the winner, if they didn't win a model already. It isn't as if they don't have a precedent with Nythera last year, and Dead of Winter before that.

2 people like this

1 hour ago, Fetid Strumpet said:

Perhaps we will luck out and see all of them duel faction with the faction that came next in line behind the winner, if they didn't win a model already.

DON'T GET MY HOPES UP LIKE THAT!!! :o

*alas, even on a positive flip a 9+ is not guaranteed, and so no peacekeeper slap upside the head happens*

Honestly, I think the TTB events will help create models for the losing Factions (hence, why they didn't have it simultaneously this year). That's my guess anyways.

1 person likes this

20 minutes ago, Parker Barrows said:

Honestly, I think the TTB events will help create models for the losing Factions (hence, why they didn't have it simultaneously this year). That's my guess anyways.

That would be fantastic. I had forgotten that a TTB event was coming!

I really enjoyed playing in this event and it was the first one that we had enough people in my community who were willing to participate.

We sort of wished that some of the characters would be embraced by multiple factions as a community (the world needs a neverborn/outcast model :) ).

I played all of the games with Outcasts, which was only one game with Leveticus and all other games with Tara.
I wanted to jump to Gremlins in a few games, but I decided to stay loyal to one faction through the entire event.
The funny thing is when I lost the game with Leveticus it was the Paternity Test when the little girl became his apprentice.

13 hours ago, Parker Barrows said:

Running them both at the same time was a whole lot of work both for us and for players, some of whom felt overwhelmed with the miniatures game and the roleplaying game. By splitting them up, we could do more cool stuff, all while keeping them both less frantic.

I think that the upcoming TTB event should be quite interesting.     ^____^

7 people like this

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor