Welcome to Wyrd Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Aaron

Divergent Paths Info

96 posts in this topic

Welcome to the Divergent Paths global event!

This event is a chance for players all over the world to take part in story encounter games that will help shape the future of three individuals newly arrived to Malifaux. As players win games, they will begin to push the characters in new directions, giving players unprecedented control over the fate of future game models.

This thread will be updated every other week with information on the story encounters available for those two weeks, so feel free to follow this thread to stay up to date.

Good luck with your games!

6 people like this

The results for Weeks 1 and 2 are now available! Congratulations to the winning factions!

You can read the vignettes describing what happens to the three characters as a result of your wins in the Divergent Paths document.

In addition, the Story Encounters for Weeks 2 and 3 are now available! Where will the strange journeys of these characters take them next?

Remember to have your results reported by 10/10/16!

Gathering Scraps (Weeks 3 & 4 - Inquisitive Child)

Rampage (Weeks 3 & 4 - Self-Righteous Man)

Corpse Hunt (Weeks 3 & 4 - Trickster)

5 people like this

This week's winners:

• Self-Righteous Man - Guild
  • Trickster - Resurrectionists
  • Inquisitive Child - Neverborn

Mason's given us another great set of scenarios for ya'll this week! Enjoy: http://www.wyrd-games.net/divergent-paths-encounters

Or you can get the scenarios individually:

1 person likes this

27 minutes ago, Aaron said:

The overall winners:

• Inquisitive Child - Outcasts

HELL YEAH!!! ;)

1 person likes this

Thank you for the updates and the metrics.  Kinda sad 10T couldn't pull through with the kid a second time.  We were pretty brutal to these three, skinning the trickster alive, turning the kid into a waif :(

I look forward to seeing the final story and rules for these 3, I feel we gave you a really odd mix, save maybe for the Man.

Another metric I would be curious on is how many people broke faction rank and played for multiple factions through the course of this.  I know I logged games as Neverborn, Arcanist, and 10T

1 person likes this

1 hour ago, Aaron said:

Unfortunately, it appears there was quite a bit of cheating in the final stretch.

:o

How exactly does one cheat? Just report games they didn't play?

11 minutes ago, Dogmantra said:

:o

How exactly does one cheat? Just report games they didn't play?

From the bragging I saw in other communities: Reporting games they didn't play, reporting the same game under multiple names, and stating that an opponent played a faction they didn't in order to push them down - there's a good amount of hate for Gremlins there, so that seemed to be the go-to.  With no oversight on if the game was actually played or not except the honour system, the dishonourable would naturally come out on top.

2 people like this

2 minutes ago, Goodtest said:

Horrible!

Gremlins are all loser in Divergent Paths.

Wish administrators give them a hand.

How?  How do you tell, with the system as it was, what was a legitimate game played over Vassal or in someone's basement or in a community without a gaming store?  How can you tell that from someone just going in and clicking the buttons?  Administration basically had to treat them all as legitimate, or none of them.  I don't blame them for what happened once the system was in place, not at all.

The Good: Overall, I'm happy with the results. My biggest concern was that it would wind up being the factions that won the first week which people would use as a reason to not even bother if their faction didn't win.

The Bad: The cheating. This is why we can't have nice things. Hopefully, Wyrd can come with a way that will stop (or at least hinder) cheating. Otherwise, they might decide it's better to simply not have a World Event in 2017.

The Ugly: I want to say I am sure that the three Factions that won probably would have won regardless. The Arcanists and the Outcasts made a great showing last year, and the Neverborn are among the biggest factions. But it's sad that a result here or there was manipulated by people. Some factions (like the above mentioned Gremlins) might have lost out on a round win because of people cheating. Screwing over people like that is not cool. One of the best parts about this game is our community and that hurts it.

3 people like this

26 minutes ago, Valgaav said:

How?  How do you tell, with the system as it was, what was a legitimate game played over Vassal or in someone's basement or in a community without a gaming store?  How can you tell that from someone just going in and clicking the buttons?  Administration basically had to treat them all as legitimate, or none of them.  I don't blame them for what happened once the system was in place, not at all.

I don't have the idea.

Maybe one alternative figture.

*sigh* pretty much as soon as the Trickster got any tie to the Dreamer we were pretty much certain to lose her. Oh well...

2 people like this

1 minute ago, Fetid Strumpet said:

*sigh* pretty much as soon as the Trickster got any tie to the Dreamer we were pretty much certain to lose her. Oh well...

At least you got cool options.  The first 3 weeks I was almost ashamed to play as ten thunders just because the options were so bad.

1 person likes this

While I do not like the final outcome, it was a super fun event. The fact they made up stories and encounters on the same day as the results is very impressive. As for the cheating, that is going to happen in any and all online world wide events. It happens to every gaming company and the Wyrd community is not above that, no matter how great we are. The Self Righteous Man, after becoming a werewolf was pretty much sealed into Arcanist. The Trickster started off a little weak, but got better. The Child, while I was worried she was going to become another Neverborn kid, did work out better. Making her a hollow waif is pretty bad, but all her endings seems really poor. Over all, thanks Wyrd for the good times. My one biggest criticism for next time would be to give out better warnings. Maybe a little more than that 2 weeks notice. As a Henchmen, it really makes planning other events and hyping the new event very hard. 

1 person likes this

We've got the little mechromancer dialed in perfectly, she may even be part construct now (Alyce, no: stop using burnout on her just to try to kill her off), but...man, @Parker BarrowsI hope you're right about what sort of...*gulp* waif she's going to be. :(

The man going to Arcanists was adequate revenge for the Guild pipping them in Nythera last year, so while I am sad the legal (were-)beagle won't go to my faction, it suits him. In retrospect though, I do wish he'd been tagged with mimic for his round three gift. Style is all Lucius has, and a werelawyer with a top hat just oozes style.

At first I was pleased with the trickster woman getting pried away from the seemingly unstoppable Resurrectionist juggernaut, but I have to say I liked that half of her story a lot more than the Neverborn half. The Woman Who Tricked Death was a great hook.

And the man being cited for "unauthorized physical devolution" still makes me giggle.

1 hour ago, MetaphoricDragn said:

Another metric I would be curious on is how many people broke faction rank and played for multiple factions through the course of this.  I know I logged games as Neverborn, Arcanist, and 10t

I broke ranks two games out of ten, both times because I finally had enough models to declare a different faction for once and wanted to try out the new Arcanist shinies. I did take care to declare them both for the Man so that the inevitable losses would be beneficial to Guild in the end.

For the Child I played very nearly the same crew into all four match-ups, and nearly won, and just plain lost, and got absobloodylutely obliterated depending on the round--but hey, narrative, so I'm happy, except for that one series of "positive" defense flips. :angry:

1 hour ago, Fetid Strumpet said:

Sad but true, no new Belle :/

But at least there seems to be some love for Leveticus floating around, after he was hit badly several time in the last year (rules and fluff wise), so that`s good and ought to be interesting^^

1 person likes this

Overall the event was great.  Lots of fun.  There are two things I'd like to see in the next one.

1) Too many of the event gave a huge advantage to the first player to do X.  A good example is the week 1 child.  With all of TT's movement tricks I was able to pull the child into my deployment zone turn one.  That put a lot of pressure on my opponent.

2) I'd like to see a more balanced scoring system.  The fact that the two factions with the most players won, and the faction with the second highest win rate only won 1 of the 12 encounters leads me to believe that the scoring heavily favored factions with more players.  Big congrats to the Outcasts for overcoming the odds!

Again overall great event.  I like how some of the scenarios  made you play differently.  Two that come to mind is the Fees/Judge one and the Blind deployment and veto two of your opponents models one.

2 people like this

19 minutes ago, MrDeathTrout said:

With all of TT's movement tricks I was able to pull the child into my deployment zone turn one.  That put a lot of pressure on my opponent.

I was actually able to do the same thing but with Lucius. My opponent overcame but it was only due to countering my schemes instead of the Scenario. 

Seriously though; thanks for the event! I loved it. New ways to play outside of standard strategies that was encouraged by players molding characters was awesome. 

2 hours ago, Valgaav said:

From the bragging I saw in other communities: Reporting games they didn't play, reporting the same game under multiple names, and stating that an opponent played a faction they didn't in order to push them down - there's a good amount of hate for Gremlins there, so that seemed to be the go-to.  With no oversight on if the game was actually played or not except the honour system, the dishonourable would naturally come out on top.

Cripes, that is awful.

Anyways, my hot and fresh takes:

The Good: I appreciate the weighting system that was attempted for this event. It felt a little smoother than the wild jumps that could be achieved under last year's event (an Outcast friend of mine got pretty salty after one of those events essentially shut them out of the Nythera region). I still feel like it could use a touch more weighting towards less-represented factions, but avoid swinginess. I'm sure we have enough math geeks around here who could figure something out.

The Bad: The cheating, obviously. Maybe for the next event, limit it to accounts registered to a certain timeframe before the event starts, then have an email address from each of those accounts? Follow it up with dual reporting? You still run into losing players not reporting games, but still not sure how to deal with that. Also, I'm in favor of having factions know how they're ranked. Maybe ambiguous wording at the very least? Strike a balance between getting discouraged if your faction of choice is underperforming, and not knowing if what you're doing is having any effect.

Alternatively, have seven different options from the "wow!" to the consolation prize (or, from most to lowest effort Wyrd needs to do afterwards) and let a faction win one at most.

The Ugly: Not a lot.

Looking forward to seeing if Ten Thunders can sneakily infiltrate any of the options ;)

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor