Parker Barrows suitable master for new player?

Captain Black

Fairly difficult right now, if only because the box is not on general release.... That said I don't feel he would be more difficult than any other scheme/control master. He won't be as straight forward as Von Schill or Perdita, etc. But certainly doable.

I have seen quite a few battle report vids on Von Schill and Initially I was considering him to start. But unfortunately I can't find any good vids featuring Barrows and his crew :(

But I have that "I must have you" feeling for the Barrows box set lol 

• Like 1

Von Schill is a great start for outcasts as both the trapper and the librarian will be used in many lists; all the models other than Von Schill and the steam trunk are also mercenaries socan be hired out of faction. Barrow's box set was only availible during the gen con sale, but potentially might also be up for sale during the Black Friday sale. So if you want to start playing I reccomend picking up another box to start, and picking up Parker when you have the chance.

But I have that "I must have you" feeling for the Barrows box set lol

I'd suggest you go with this type of feeling. Any master can be learned. You'll play it more if you want to play it, and practice makes perfect. That said, your biggest bar to entry is that Parker is not for general sale. As such you'd have to scrounge one up, or keep your fingers firmly crossed until Black Friday.

• Like 2

Parker is good master for new players in my opinion. He has access to very different upgrades, so he can adapt to various situations. There is another topic here with experience when playing him.

His crew are great, although I would replace Banditos with Undead Outlaws- even if they costs 1 SS more, their potential is incredible. Banditos mentioned above are nice scheme runners and solid minions.Not as much as Freikorpsmann or Dead Outlaw, but can jump from the cover, take focused shot and jump back. Mad Dog is great for pushing enemies or blowing up cover, and Doc can heal everyone and grant them hard to wound. Overall solid crew, but it requires a box or two.

There are few other models that are very strong and have a fluff feeling of running bandits crew- Sue and Convict Gunslinger. Both are nice with powerful ranged attack and benefit greatly from new Return Fire upgrade. You also want Bishop against melee heavy crews.

• Like 1

As others have mentioned he is not general release at the moment. No guarantee on availability for Black Friday but that is probably going to be your next window of opportunity. I'd honestly recommend waiting and revisiting him in the future. In general Sue is going to be almost an auto-include and the Dead Outlaws which we only have rules from Ripples on are fantastic with him.

If you have previous wargaming experience you can pickup just about any master. The restriction usually comes from what you will have to buy to make them "tick". Fortunately the only model I really think you will have in almost every Parker crew is Sue. You can definitely choose to not utilize all of Parker's "tricks" and still get a lot of mileage out of him.

There's also nothing wrong with staying in Outcasts and build out units you will use with Parker eventually... Sue as mentioned is great, as is Envy from the Crossroads Seven box. Jack Daw has a somewhat similar play style with control or ability to switch gears and pump out a lot of damage. The Hired Swords box to get Ronin and Taelor is also a solid option.

• Like 1

I'd suggest you go with this type of feeling. Any master can be learned. You'll play it more if you want to play it, and practice makes perfect. That said, your biggest bar to entry is that Parker is not for general sale. As such you'd have to scrounge one up, or keep your fingers firmly crossed until Black Friday.

Yes, I think "That Feeling" about a particular model must be satisfied lol. I am not sure if others do the same, but I personally always project myself on a particular model in games. This model will represent me personally on the battlefield and I get very attached to them :)

As others have mentioned he is not general release at the moment. No guarantee on availability for Black Friday but that is probably going to be your next window of opportunity. I'd honestly recommend waiting and revisiting him in the future. In general Sue is going to be almost an auto-include and the Dead Outlaws which we only have rules from Ripples on are fantastic with him.

If you have previous wargaming experience you can pickup just about any master. The restriction usually comes from what you will have to buy to make them "tick". Fortunately the only model I really think you will have in almost every Parker crew is Sue. You can definitely choose to not utilize all of Parker's "tricks" and still get a lot of mileage out of him.

There's also nothing wrong with staying in Outcasts and build out units you will use with Parker eventually... Sue as mentioned is great, as is Envy from the Crossroads Seven box. Jack Daw has a somewhat similar play style with control or ability to switch gears and pump out a lot of damage. The Hired Swords box to get Ronin and Taelor is also a solid option.

So certain boxed sets are not for general release? Is this the case with most new packs or are they counted as "Limited Editions"?

So certain boxed sets are not for general release? Is this the case with most new packs or are they counted as "Limited Editions"?

Parker box will be released in the future, I heard that it is going to be april 2017. His crew was available during Gencon as pre-release.

• Like 1

Parker is good master for new players in my opinion. He has access to very different upgrades, so he can adapt to various situations. There is another topic here with experience when playing him.

His crew are great, although I would replace Banditos with Undead Outlaws- even if they costs 1 SS more, their potential is incredible. Banditos mentioned above are nice scheme runners and solid minions.Not as much as Freikorpsmann or Dead Outlaw, but can jump from the cover, take focused shot and jump back. Mad Dog is great for pushing enemies or blowing up cover, and Doc can heal everyone and grant them hard to wound. Overall solid crew, but it requires a box or two.

There are few other models that are very strong and have a fluff feeling of running bandits crew- Sue and Convict Gunslinger. Both are nice with powerful ranged attack and benefit greatly from new Return Fire upgrade. You also want Bishop against melee heavy crews.

I can't seem to find "Undead Outlaws" in the store? I have looked in the other factions but for the life of me, I can't see them?

Also, Where can I find the stat cards and details for the rest of the crew from a box set? The details for masters are there but not the crews that accompany them. The same goes for individual models that have been mentioned such as Bishop etc?

I can't seem to find "Undead Outlaws" in the store? I have looked in the other factions but for the life of me, I can't see them?

Also, Where can I find the stat cards and details for the rest of the crew from a box set? The details for masters are there but not the crews that accompany them. The same goes for individual models that have been mentioned such as Bishop etc?

The Dead Outlaws are not released yet, but will be in several month probably. Stat cards for Parker's crew are not available online, but in September new book- Ripples of fate is going to be released and stats of banditos/Mad Dog/Doc Mitchell are there(together with other models).

The Dead Outlaws are not released yet, but will be in several month probably. Stat cards for Parker's crew are not available online, but in September new book- Ripples of fate is going to be released and stats of banditos/Mad Dog/Doc Mitchell are there(together with other models).

What about all the previously released models such as bishop etc?

What about all the previously released models such as bishop etc?

Bishop and convict gunslingers have stat cards in big Malifaux rulebook, Sue has in Crossroads Expansion. You can also read wikipages at pullmyfinger.wikispaces.com since most of stats and abilities of models are written in it

• Like 1

Many thanks. I was planning on getting both http://giveusyourmoneypleasethankyou-wyrd.com/collections/m2e-books-accessories/products/wyr20001 and http://giveusyourmoneypleasethankyou-wyrd.com/collections/m2e-books-accessories/products/wyr20013

Malifaux 2E Rulebook and Crossroads anyway, will just have to get them sooner than planned. The Wiki is also great :)

OK, so while I wait to get my soft hide glove clad, gunslinger hands on Parker and his crew. My Outcast starting shopping basket needs to go something like this?

Von Schill http://giveusyourmoneypleasethankyou-wyrd.com/collections/m2e/products/hired-guns-von-schill-box-set

Bishop http://giveusyourmoneypleasethankyou-wyrd.com/collections/m2e/products/bishop

Convict Gunslingers http://giveusyourmoneypleasethankyou-wyrd.com/collections/m2e/products/convict-gunslinger

Sue http://giveusyourmoneypleasethankyou-wyrd.com/collections/m2e/products/sue

Would Hans http://giveusyourmoneypleasethankyou-wyrd.com/collections/m2e/products/hans make a good long range sniper? I also have "That must have feeling" about him lol

• Like 1

OK, so while I wait to get my soft hide glove clad, gunslinger hands on Parker and his crew. My Outcast starting shopping basket needs to go something like this?

Von Schill http://giveusyourmoneypleasethankyou-wyrd.com/collections/m2e/products/hired-guns-von-schill-box-set

Bishop http://giveusyourmoneypleasethankyou-wyrd.com/collections/m2e/products/bishop

Convict Gunslingers http://giveusyourmoneypleasethankyou-wyrd.com/collections/m2e/products/convict-gunslinger

Sue http://giveusyourmoneypleasethankyou-wyrd.com/collections/m2e/products/sue

Would Hans http://giveusyourmoneypleasethankyou-wyrd.com/collections/m2e/products/hans make a good long range sniper? I also have "That must have feeling" about him lol

I think that is a good start, but I'd like to remind you, that you'll get one sniper in form of Freikorps Trapper in Von Schill box. Hans is great, but personally I prefer Trapper, who is cheaper, has From the Shadows to place him anywhere in the field, + to Attack, built-in trigger for reposition and most important- his shots against leaders can't be cancelled by discarding cards, although Hans is nice against Ressers/Neverborn, since he has immunity to WP duels during his activation. Even if I find Trapper a better model than Hans, if you like him, you should buy him(you can put both Trapper and Hans in one crew to test which one suits you better). 

• Like 1

Hans is a model that you may frequently be either thrilled to have or slightly upset that you spent extra soulstones on him rather than a Trapper. What I'm trying to say is that Hans under the best of cirmustances is rather underwhelming. For a Sniper he doesn't have the rule "from the shadows" which normally would allow you to deploy him well outside your deployment zone. In most situations the Trapper, which comes in Von Schill's box is significantly better.

The books are great to purchase no matter what as the fluff is excellent in addition to the card information. The Von Schill box is the best way for a new player to get into Outcasts as you will use most to all of the models in a self-sufficient unit. Freikorpsmann make acceptable scheme runners. I would recommend picking up one of the newer fate decks if you do not have a fate deck on hand. The M2E book you will want for rules interactions.

• Like 2

I forgot to mention, that Hans probably will be nice with Von Schill with his "Engage at will" upgrade and new Hans 0 SS "fix" upgrade(in the new generalist upgrade deck, not available now). You will be able to take both (0) focus action and "reference the field guide" for free suit. If you manage to somehow give Hans fast, or give Von Schill or henchmen I pay better upgrade, you can take two focused shots.

• Like 1

I forgot about the Trapper in the Von Schill box set. As mentioned above he is a good sniper, I have seen him at work in quite a few battle reports. 

I will still get Hans, I would really like to paint him. As suggested I can then alternate between Hans and the Trapper just to get a feel for how they both work. 

Once again, I appreciate all the feedback. There is a lot to learn and all the advice given is invaluable :) 

I find Hans to be pretty terrible in comparison to the Trapper personally. Have both, but have never had a situation where Hans would have been a better choice. YMMV of course.

Consider picking up Johan. He is one of the strongest models we have, point for point, and he can find a place in most crews (Outcast or otherwise).

• Like 1

I use Johan with my currently (thin) Parker crew. He pulls his weight and then some, and he does sort of fit thematically. Mot outlaw gangs in the old movies have a heavy after all.

And I think Big Jake is available now, too? Also thematic and really good for his Stone cost.

• Like 2