D's numeber of master played thought

D_acolyte

This month’s post is a quick one done before I go off to Dragon Con so please do not expect me to respond before Tuesday as it will not happen or you would get a Drunk Acolyte.

So I got asked by what I mean with penetration and games by a friends of mine, this is about my thoughts on which masters from the new book will be played. So this is sort of a response to that because it works into my thoughts around a lot of things, mostly what you collect and or pack. So a year or two I posted a thing asking about 9 masters in a box but 4 factions with 3 per a faction. When I mentioned this my friend then asked “I remember but never got why 3 per a faction.” So if you saw that and thought hmmm why 3, this will also tie into that.

So how I am going to use penetration is simply the percentage of games a model appears in. This is the closes measurement I have found to assess a models power or tier with the simple logic of if it is a good model it will be taken more and limited bias (yes I know it is still there). Now the easy place to see this is with masters, the reason for this is because you can only have 1 of them in a game currently. I would love to get information regarding 65 games objectives, enemy factions, and there composition from 100 people per each faction, that is one game a week. That would be really fun to see.

Each faction had now 8 masters which means if they are all equal that the numbers should be about 12% of the games should have each master. If I was doing a study I would probably expect 10 to 15% for various fudge room per a master. Now here comes the fun part, this is talking about at a global level, now at the individual levels I would expect a person to have no more than 4 masters that they play often and no more than 3 of them being very often. For instance I play a rotation often of Pandora, Lilith, The Dreamer and about every 3-4 rotations I may play Collodi. I have played Lynch and Lucius but often less often then I do Collodi by a good amount. So when I go to a tournament my points of data will often say I play Pandora, Lilith and The Dreamer most often because I never get around to Collodi. I often call this a rule of thumb, 3+1, and it is this that I tried to predict a bit on the new masters. Which of them will get into the 3 for most people, now I know that some people say they only play 1 or 2 master in a tournament and that is an even more limiting pool.

So some might ask why I sort of limit myself to 3 or 4 masters. Well despite what some people that know me might think, I do not memorize every card. In fact my normal limit tend to be between 50 and 70 with something like 80% accuracy + odd parts of other cards that I see often or have seen missed played. Of these the master’s cards are often the most complicated so I tend to branch out to different masters outside of my normal a little less often then I might should and almost never in a tournament. In fact I will more often use an almost entirely new crew in a tournament except for the master and I tend to feel most people are the same way. I also find that with 3 masters I can cover most objectives I see in at least 2 different ways.

The back pocket master, so this is what I call the +1 master. This is simply a master you are more conferrable with or been playing off and on a bit with. I would recommend everyone have one if you do not. This is nice especially if you are in a LGS that plays a lot because it means that if you say X expect me to play Z then by playing a master I do not often play I might have an advantage over them in the mind game. This has worked well once or twice for me, I one tournament I played vs a friend of mine and we made an agreement that we each would let the other one choose the master we would use. Yes people I play for fun and victory even at a tournament.

Now comes the interactive part, I would like to know how many masters for your main factions to you often play in the last year? Feel free to denote it as one number or if you want to separate it like I do that would work well to. Feel free to list them as well. You have mine, 3+1.

Also if you have the new book post if you think a master from that will change your numbers. I am looking at going from Pandora, Lilith, The Dreamer + Collodi to Pandora, Titania, The Dreamer + Collodi.

I have also been asked who would my main 3 + 1 the back pocket that I would play be for each faction if you are interested in that I will post that when I figure it out.

Also I am going to try and do a Q and A post in the next few months so if you have a question but feel that it does not warrant my standard wall of text send it to me and I will more than likely answer it, except for my name or what the D stands for.

Now that I am back with only a mild hangover, tequila I love you so but why do you hate me, I will answer things.

@Ludvig, thank you.

I tend to play most masters once or twice and then move on. I couldn't even say what my main faction is atm. I always pick up a new master for tournaments and leagues so that others stand even some chance of winning.

So, not exactly doing the 3+1. :D

I, too, switch Masters constantly.

Mostly in order to give Myyrä a chance of getting a win.

I can touch on both of these at once. I know of no master that I can master in 2-3 games unless I just hack of parts of them and say I will not use it. I am not going to say to not switch masters or factions, in fact I will have a post probably in December about something involving that. I commonly call people that do it a lot searchers as they have yet to find what they want. Finally, I can understand a degree of confidence but if you two are actually think that others can only win vs you when you switch factions that is arrogant and insulting to the other players in your group even as a joke. Finally as always, my topic is an opinion piece and if it does not speak to you then it is probably not for you.

My local henchmen runs a league once every 4 months or so and during that I rarely play my standard Neverborn masters but instead play a faction or master that I want to learn more about. I often find a change of perception will help round out perspective and might show some new tricks.

I purposely started with three boxes to cover a variety of scenarios and then have been focusing on buying hireable models instead of more masters from there. The bases I tried to cover were summoner, damager, schemer.

I think that is often a good way to go. Hope you have fun with the game.

Finally, I can understand a degree of confidence but if you two are actually think that others can only win vs you when you switch factions that is arrogant and insulting to the other players in your group even as a joke.

Okay I was joking. They don't really have a chance of winning even though I do change masters constantly.

• Like 2

Finally, I can understand a degree of confidence but if you two are actually think that others can only win vs you when you switch factions that is arrogant and insulting to the other players in your group even as a joke. Finally as always, my topic is an opinion piece and if it does not speak to you then it is probably not for you.

I was just riffing on what Myyrä said (and apparently failing to be funny while doing so). I do switch Masters quite a bit but it's mostly because I get excited about so many of the Masters that Malifaux has on offer. I do consider myself one of the better players in my meta but I have lost to everyone else so it's not like I'm king of the hill or anything like that. I didn't mean to threadcrap - my apologies.

• Like 2

No problem.

Yes there are so many masters in the game, I just find that I settle into a pattern and most people I know tend to settle into a pattern especially if they are doing prep for a tournament or even what they normally play. The only masters I have not played in Neverborn is Zoriada, all the rest I have experimented with in some way.

• Like 1

I definitely switch around way too much, though I guess if I were going into a tournament, my master list would probably be:

Rezzers: Kirai

Neverborn: Titania, Dreamer, Lilith

Ten Thunders: Any really, other than Brewmaster who've I've never played.  Although I'm probably most comfortable with Asami, Shenlong, Mei Feng, Yan Lo and McCabe

Right now, I'm in more of a 2+2 situation. Ramos and Marcus are my go-to masters, and I'll add in Ironsides or Rasputina as needed. Although, on further reflection, I'm much more likely to bring Ironsides to a tournament than Raspy, so that could take me to a 3+1...

Of course, I'm working (albeit very slowly) on assembling & painting Kaeris, so she might take over one of those spots soon.