Making a Fate Deck myself

Lord Malkom

Well, hello there community.

I'm quite new to the game. I was an instant fan of the Ressers (especially Seamus). English isn't my first language, so if there are mistakes, you can point them out if you like so I learn something ;)

After I saw the two starter Decks with Neverborn and Guild, I thought there would be also one for Resurrectionists. Sadly, there isn't one.

So I googled to find if there is any posibility to get my own Card deck. (well I'm a photoshop noob, but I got a friend who is quite good at it)

I found a website where I could change the pictures of the jacks, queens and kings. Substitute it with pictures of my favourite characters wans't enough. So I browes that site even more and I found what i was looking for.

They can print a completely custom set of cards in any size. So I could let a friend create one and then let them print it on plastik cards.

Well but here is the twist and a really big questions (which I think I'll getting a no, but that's ok)

The problem with that order is, I have to at least order 100 of those card games. As you might expect. I only need ONE. So I want to have Seamus and other Masters on the Cards, and Rams for Hearts and so on. But that is Wyrd Games property and I don't think they would be happy if I sell something that is theirs. So I thought, but I also thought I could at least ask nicely if it is ok or not.

As I mentioned: I'm expecting a no ;) so no hard feelings.

So would I be allowed to print those and sell the 99 of them I don't need? Because I don't have enough money to waste it on 99 extra prints of my fate deck, just in case it gets lost or something like that (which I didn't expect to happen)

btw: we are talking here about non profit for me. Maybe something for that friend who must spend time on making it. I just want a resurrectionists Fate Deck

With best regards

the new guy

There are plenty of sites that let you print a single deck or just a couple, which is fine if they're just for you as per this thread:

I've used makeplayingcards.com and printerstudio.com for other projects and can recommend both, although they're both US based companies so the shipping can be a bit expensive if you don't live there. They both let you print a minimum of one deck, with the restriction that if you want a custom deckbox you will need to order a minimum of 100.

Although I will note: if you're using copyrighted images (i.e. any art you didn't create yourself) I would recommend against printing them with a print-on-demand company, as many will refuse to print these and there are lots of legal issues which it's best to avoid.

I've never played a fate deck out of sleeves.  I currently have about 10 fate decks in identical sleeves (face side clear, back side clear/frosted/matte).

The reason for this is marking - if a card is nicked, fingernailed, dented, etc, that deck should be decommissioned whether it was intentional or not.

One thing that gets me is right-side-upness.  Most playing cards, and a lot of fate decks, have symmetry that doesn't allow one to know whether a card is right-side-up or upside-down after a shuffle... but others such as Bad Ink (and M:TG cards) have a back that lends itself to all cards needing to be facing the same way.

When you throw in Card Sleeves, opaque or clear backs aside, you've now got another issue: what side is the opening on?  It bothers me to no end to shuffle and resume play, only to realize 4 or 10 of the cards in my deck are upside-down.

As you can tell, I find places for my rants as I can find them, sorry for off-topic.

• Like 1

I started a project like this a little while back, pulling faction and master images from the site, doing some resizing into a template, etc.  My Photoshop (well, technically Paint.Net) skills are fairly rudimentary, but resize/cut/paste isn't too bad.

It sorta stalled when I couldn't decide how I wanted to mark weak/moderate/severe.

I had read the "IP usage" thread, and took that as an OK to pull the images for a personal print, but I hadn't considered that the site might not print the images.

• 1 year later...
2 hours ago, Richard matthews said:

I tried makeplayingcars.com but I cant get them to change the symbol/colour of the suit I have a dark backround so wanted white lettering, anyone found any otther companies for this. Preferably inthe Uk 

iirc you can submit pictures where they add the regular numbers and suits on but you can also do it where they just print your image, so you would have to add the numbers and suits to each card image but it would be whatever you wanted. There's also Printerstudio which is sadly not UK based (there's one in germany I believe, printerstudio.de if you can handle German and want EU-friendly shipping) and I can vouch that they work out pretty nicely, I ordered some custom cards from them a couple of years back. I'd recommend against their plastic cards if you want a full bleed non white print though, the image wears off the edges after a bit of use. If your edges are white it should be fine but otherwise get linen finish cardboard imo*

*also wyrd pls print a linen finish deck