Using the starter box to create a Guild McMourning list...

OracleToronto

27 minutes ago, Fire At Will said:

If there's one thing I can suggest at some point in the future, it's get some Executioners, because nothing ruins an opponent's day like a big mean jellybean with recise on those nasty claws

Especially with Wk5 and a (1) Ap Charge once per game :D

• Like 1

Executioners are really worth their weight in gold in certain matchups (no def triggers = colette confetti :p)

And nowadays you even have the ways to deliver him safely between the emissary teleporting him to scheme markers, hitching a ride with a mounted guard or his new RoF upgrade (or push him with McMourning up the field^^).

So, highly recommend to try him sometimes ;)

On the scale of essentialness from Governor's Proxy to Austringer they land somewhere around Francisco. That's pretty essential.

I love the scale

I agree with the result, Its about Francisco, which means it seems pretty essential at first glance but gives you the danger of falling into the trap that you can't play without them. 

I would probably consider Nurses more useful than Seb or the Chuahuahua. The poison can be an interesting way in Guild, but I don't think its essential. 

• Like 3

I'd disagree with Myyra, which probably means I'm wrong.

I get way more mileage out of McMourning's scheming, speed, and crew support than I do out of his poison in Guild - and yes, when I first ran him I proxied the Chihuahua and Sebastian all the time.

Then again, I also skip Frank on principle so maybe take my advice with a grain of salt.

• Like 2

Completely new to Malifaux myself and I have been looking at a McMourning crew (boxset just got delivered this morning :) ).  However am I right in thinking that with this crew setup as Guild you could only make use of McMourning, Dr. Grimwell, Nurse Heartbane and the Orderlies?

If you wanted to make the most of the McMourning boxset you would have to switch to Res (have use of Seb, Zombie Chihuahua and nurses) and sacrifice the Orderlies as they aren't mercs?

Is this correct? That was my understanding from 2E rulebook on dual faction masters.

Completely new to Malifaux myself and I have been looking at a McMourning crew (boxset just got delivered this morning :) ).  However am I right in thinking that with this crew setup as Guild you could only make use of McMourning, Dr. Grimwell, Nurse Heartbane and the Orderlies?

If you wanted to make the most of the McMourning boxset you would have to switch to Res (have use of Seb, Zombie Chihuahua and nurses) and sacrifice the Orderlies as they aren't mercs?

Is this correct? That was my understanding from 2E rulebook on dual faction masters.

McMourning has an upgrade that permits him to take Sebastian, Nurses and Chihuahua when playing Guild. If it weren't for that you would be correct. (Also Orderlies are Mercs.)

McMourning has an upgrade that permits him to take Sebastian, Nurses and Chihuahua when playing Guild. If it weren't for that you would be correct. (Also Orderlies are Mercs.)

And what would you replace the Flesh Construct and Canine Remains with? Not being able to use those with their poison and corpse token shenanigans seems to undercut McMourning quite a bit. The most obvious combo I saw was Guild Lawyers, but those are available to him as a Resser with Moonlighting anyway, so not really a compelling reason to take him as Guild. Guild Autopsies seem a lot better than any of the equivalent Guild options too. Taking poison away from a master that seems to run on poison effects seems like a bad plan.

From my limited play experience the Judge seemed like the best possible option, since McMourning's a little on the slow side, and that stand for Judgement thing seems good. There's an amusing irony in the Guild's undead hunter working with McMourning. Is the combo of McMourning giving the Judge a Wk push for two poison, and then the Judge doing a Stand for Judgement as good as it seems?

Since the OP's list is built all around outcasts who can be hired into a resser list anyway, wouldn't he be better off doing him as a Resser? 

What I want is an easy list that's aggressive and 'bashy' 

I already own most of Lady J box (except J herself) McMourning (except the Chiuhuahua, which was too fragile to live) Criid box set, and Lucius box set. I also grabbed some Witchling Stalker Handlers recently.

For Guild I figure I'll take the Sonnia Criid box set and add upgrades and the two Handlers for now.

Something like this should do the trick:

Guild
50ss Crew

McMourning -- 5ss
 +On The Clock - 1ss
 +Plastic Surgery - 1ss
 +Evidence Tampering - 2ss

Brutal Effigy - 4ss

Francisco Ortega - 8ss
 +Wade In - 1ss
 +Hermanos De Armas - 1ss

Master Queeg - 7ss
 +Promises - 1ss

Nurse - 5ss

Nurse - 5ss

Sebastian - 7ss
+Unknowable Pain

Witchling Stalker - 5ss

Ideally you would also slap the Chihuahua there, but no point in crying over the spilled milk.

Thanks to his upgrades McMourning can push 5" every time he suffers damage from poison, which you should give him using a Nurse. You should also note that he suffers damage from poison twice per turn if he close to Sebastian. He can also trigger a push from Scalpel Slinging from Evidence Tampering. If that isn't enough, you can also use Franc and Queek to push him around. If that isn't fast enough, I don't know what is.

Brutal Effigy is there to help McMourning heal up and draw some cards if he should kill something. After he has given his buff, he can skitter off to do schemes or something.

Franc can buff McMourning's Df and Wp to 7, so he won't get hit quite so much. He also hits hard and one of his upgrades allows him to push friendly models to base contact with himself as a (0) action.

Queek carries Promises, which means that nearby models with upgrades get :+fate to Ml and Wp duels, which will save you a lot of cards, because all your hitters are Ml models and maybe help you with terrifying and stuff. He can also move models around and stuff.

Nurses are there to take care of the nastier models your opponents might bring. They can also be used to heal your own models to full health and paralyze them. You can then remove the paralysis using the Witchling Stalker.

Sebastian will make poison condition do a lot more damage. Just make sure he hangs near enemy models that are poisoned and you are golden. The upgrade is there mostly for him to benefit from Promises. You can take something else if you want to. Dampening Field, Numb To The World and Curfew are definitely options as well.

What I want is an easy list that's aggressive and 'bashy' 

I already own most of Lady J box (except J herself) McMourning (except the Chiuhuahua, which was too fragile to live) Criid box set, and Lucius box set. I also grabbed some Witchling Stalker Handlers recently.

For Guild I figure I'll take the Sonnia Criid box set and add upgrades and the two Handlers for now.

You're pretty much set, pick up the starter set and an executioner or two and you'll have a fun crew that can tear the face off most enemies.
Pick up the exorcists to go with the judge and McMourning for a different build structure.

• Like 2

Something like this should do the trick:

Guild
50ss Crew

McMourning -- 5ss
 +On The Clock - 1ss
 +Plastic Surgery - 1ss
 +Evidence Tampering - 2ss

Brutal Effigy - 4ss

Francisco Ortega - 8ss
 +Wade In - 1ss
 +Hermanos De Armas - 1ss

Master Queeg - 7ss
 +Promises - 1ss

Nurse - 5ss

Nurse - 5ss

Sebastian - 7ss
+Unknowable Pain

Witchling Stalker - 5ss

I'm going to paint what I have before I mess around with buying another boxed set and two more individual models. I'm in the process of selling off excess Warmachine crap due to money issues. I don't need to pour another $70 or so into hobbies just yet. Never noticed that the move trigger on McMourning on poison from Plastic Surgery. That's pretty cool, but it seems like a great way to have him way out in front of the rest of his army by his lonesome given how slow the nurses are. I know he can poison his followers to give them a free Wk with Injection, but only once per turn, and it looks like he'd be best off going Resser all the way, and doing that with Flesh Constructs.

That's where the fun of Unknowable Pain comes in! With enough masks in hand McMourning's entire crew can charge heedlessly into combat!

me: (on defense) 'stone for the mask

opponent: don't you mean tome?

me: not this time, mr. armor ignoring pistol, and by the way I'll end up in melee range :D

opponent: oh dear :huh:

me: oh, and since you mentioned that pesky armor-ignoring thing... :P

(Sadly for me, Von Schill had also brought two convict gunslingers, and so Team We're the Only Ones Allowed to be Shirtless Around Here won that one, but not without receiving a few very precise and therefore satisfying punches in return.)