12 Names for 13 Tyrants (and other major Characters)

Rathnard

They had some great art on those old decks. So glad the 12 of Crows resulted in Amelia Bathorys. Love that art and mini. I bought it off someone who got it at Black Friday even though I don't collect Ressurs.

I wish they used the original Titania miniature, directly based on that art, as a more widely used alt. Releasing only 2 of them as prizes is really disappointing. It had more of an 'evil pixie' look that I think fit the Fae better.

• Like 2

• 5 months later...

Rezzed the wrong thread earlier (my apologies mods), Rathnard keeps  his more up to date,  A couple updates:

Some more Meridian info on https://www.wyrd-games.net/news/2017/6/23/qpd75lr9isu0rqhljjd4kk5b3nc3v0

Meridian is still Malifaux-side, imprisoned in the ley lines and voice carried by the ocean currents.  Also confirmed as a "She"

Also of note, at least towards other powerful entities if not a tyrant itself, but something powerful slammed from Malifaux into Mount Etna thousand of years ago.

https://youtu.be/wF9VyyRheWY?t=36

Speculation: One of our missing Tyrants?  Shez-uul?  signs point to Shez-uul being trapped earth side, though that means at some point he would need to wake up and traveled from Italy to Japan. 

However Thousands is a vague and long timeframe, I don't know if we know how far back Titania's war with the Tyrants was, timelines might not match up to make sense for it to be a Tyrant.  Though some examples of time magic also exist withing Malifaux so who knows.

On 6/24/2017 at 0:52 PM, MetaphoricDragn said:

Also of note, at least towards other powerful entities if not a tyrant itself, but something powerful slammed from Malifaux into Mount Etna thousand of years ago.

https://youtu.be/wF9VyyRheWY?t=36

Speculation: One of our missing Tyrants?  Shez-uul?  signs point to Shez-uul being trapped earth side, though that means at some point he would need to wake up and traveled from Italy to Japan. 

However Thousands is a vague and long timeframe, I don't know if we know how far back Titania's war with the Tyrants was, timelines might not match up to make sense for it to be a Tyrant.  Though some examples of time magic also exist withing Malifaux so who knows.

*points at the Core Rules*

Should be helpful in clearing things up.  :)

• 1 month later...

So, now that TTB2 has released I can finally talk about it after getting the book at Origins. Spoilers ahead.
Should be out of the preview now, so let's get started.

The Dragon is confirmed to have split and the part that went earthside is the Mt. Etna entity. Possessed a priest and made it's way to Asia where his host body died and he ended up getting trapped in her dead body before a Buddhist monk came along and he was able to use him and manipulate Buddhist teachings to create an order dedicated to creating hosts with strong enough spirits to house him. This is also the cause of the boundary between Earth and Malifaux becoming weaker.

Sheez'Uul. Manipulated a Neverborn into releasing him, then started using red blood to keep his spiritually weak host's body together. This resulted in the Nephilim undergoing a ritual to gaining caustic blood(their Black Blood), foiling Sheez'Uul's plan to use blood and forcing him to escape to Earth like the Dragon did(although in one piece). Also indirectly responsible for December failing to manifest off of the energies sustaining the first Breach. And is explicitly confirmed to be in the blade.

Witness is still imprisoned in a frozen lake in a soulstone geode.

Despair is in an ornate puzzlebox.

Plague was the original creator of the Red Cage, and caused it to crash down to the ground intending to harnass the resulting energies to ascend, but was distracted by Kirai after he stole the second part of the key to the Cage from her, which resulted in the masters gaining the powers to become basically temporary Tyrants(Avatars). It was only repurposed by the ancient neverborn to imprison Cherufe. Also he controlled rats and bugs to eat the real Hamelin so that he could assume Hamelins form as a disguise of sorts and walk out of his prison.

Meridion draws her power from Ley Lines, which is why she was imprisoned in them.(no breaking out of prison when doing so would destroy her source of power). 

Obliteration's prison is made out of his own essence, so he like Meridion is going to have a hard time breaking out any time soon.

Onto more general info now: 
The Cult of December was formed from some of the mages who originally opened the first Breach.
Native American legends of skin walkers comes from ancient neverborn coming across one of the smaller less stable breaches the forms from time to time and intermingled with them, giving some the ability to change their shape.
It's likely that the Tyrants used to be fae based on the wording used. They were called fellows of the original inhabitants, and Titania is refereed to as the queen of the people. Also Malifaux back then was a utopian society with everyone being unaging and highly advanced magic and technology.
Dopplegangers and Nephilim are evolutionary cousins, with the dopplegangers having the ability to change form at will, and the Nephilim changing form in response to spilling red blood. The source of this ability to change form is from the magic of the Tyrants.
The Aztec god Huitzilopochtli, along with most other gods in their religion, are based on creatures from Malifaux they saw and fought when breach open up in their area.
The Tyrant War was sometime around 8000 years before the present day.
The Grave Spirit is the source of necromancy.

• Like 7

UPDATE TIME! :D

With the recent release of TTB 2nd ed, Broken Promises, yet more TOS info and the Homefront campaign I've gone through the original post and updated the entries accordingly. The TTB core rulebook in particular is a great source of info on the history of Malifaux and the Tyrants. 

I think most of the Tyrants/characters have been updated to some extent, the biggest ones being Shezuul, the Dragon/s and Witness. There's also a significant development for Lingxuzi,  - I'm pretty sure I've figured out his identity in Malifaux. ;)

• Like 4

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
31 minutes ago, Elsondwarf said:

Just a question, who was the Zoradia (the lass who works with the Netherborn sisters to close the Breach the first time) and what happened to her?
Might be a stupid question but just bought the Through the Breach as my first Malifaux product.

https://pullmyfinger.wikispaces.com/M2E+Zoraida

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Elsondwarf said:

Just a question, who was the Zoradia (the lass who works with the Netherborn sisters to close the Breach the first time) and what happened to her?
Might be a stupid question but just bought the Through the Breach as my first Malifaux product.

https://www.wyrd-games.net/zoraida

Welcome to Malifaux! Bad Things Happen.

• Like 1

Yeah, Zoraida is a major character in Malifaux. As a kind of seer she's been manipulating those around her to influence fate in the way she sees fit, although more recently she's had a bad run, having been well and truely outplayed by both Titania and Nytemare.

@Elsondwarf If you want to know more about Zoraida, there's a great story that touches on her past in Shifting Loyalties (one of the Malifaux expansions), starting from pg 137. It's one of my favourites, and heavily features Lilith and Pandora too. :)

• Like 1

Hey, so I've been listening to the Breachside Broadcast podcast and it has motivated me to do a quick update of the original post. 

No major revelations, just a bit more insight into;
- Despair and who knows what about the Puzzle box it's trapped in,
- The Black Dragon and how she might be Zoraida (but most likely not ;) ),
- The Hungering Darkness and how he's no longer Neverborn in M3E,
- The Grave Spirit and how it might be a Tyrant after all...albiet nothing like the 13 Malifaux Tyrants!