12 Names for 13 Tyrants (and other major Characters)

Rathnard

14 hours ago, Rathnard said:

Original post updated with the info pointed out on the Court of Two, as well as the theory about Perdita's flying beast being Witness. If someone could confirm that Avatar Perdita had the Tyurant characteristic at some point in the beta, that'd be awesome! :)

Even if she had it in the beta, she doesn't have it now, which is the important thing.

Weird stuff happens in betas! After all, Nellie was once an Arcanist and Sandeep was once Guild!

• Like 1

13 hours ago, -Loki- said:

Is that real? They've got a faction with the troll face as the logo?

Real.

12 hours ago, Cinnamon Bear said:

Its not a troll face, but reminds me a lot more of various buddhist "demon" masks. Still, we should be getting a whole page for them soon, so we'll hopefully learn more. 

Yin Yan, Buddhist Deamon mask combined. Not only are we getting a whole page, the Crossroad Seven from Malifaux are also connected with them, or at least a man and woman from the Court of Two.

56 minutes ago, MetaphoricDragn said:

It is, its from the updated Other Side pages.  On one hand, black and white means maybe it plays with the theorized yin/yang theme of the Dragons, on the other hand, not very draconic.  who knows.

True but the Dragons can thake many shapes. Shenlong the Tyrant Dragon currently does not have a Dragon shape either. It's a cool Dragon Tattoo, certainly but one of more than one specific shape ;) 

12 hours ago, Parker Barrows said:

Little Known Fact: Buddhist demons were the ancestors of modern Internet Trolls.

From Wikipedia:

" Mara, in Buddhism, is the demon that tempted Gautama Buddha by trying to seduce him with the vision of beautiful women who, in various legends, are often said to be Mara's daughters. In Buddhist cosmology, Mara is associated with death, rebirth, and desire. Nyanaponika Thera has described Mara as "the personification of the forces antagonistic to enlightenment."

So... you may not be entirely off the mark there.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, -Loki- said:

Once seen, it can't be unseen. I'll forever see it as a trollface.

Hhnngh. I wanna say something. But I really shouldn't.

8 hours ago, Mason said:

From Wikipedia:

" Mara, in Buddhism, is the demon that tempted Gautama Buddha by trying to seduce him with the vision of beautiful women who, in various legends, are often said to be Mara's daughters. In Buddhist cosmology, Mara is associated with death, rebirth, and desire. Nyanaponika Thera has described Mara as "the personification of the forces antagonistic to enlightenment."

So... you may not be entirely off the mark there.

What he said. 

Another group that could potentially be relevant is the living Fae.  In Ripples of Fate, Titania says there are still Fae out there in the far corners of Malifaux.  She seems to think they'll return to serve their queen, but she's pretty arrogant, so who knows?  And if the ones who betrayed her or their descendants are still around, what have they been doing all this time?  They likely won't be showing up with a fruit basket and a Starbucks gift card in the hopes she'll forgive them.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Clockwork_Fish said:

Another group that could potentially be relevant is the living Fae.  In Ripples of Fate, Titania says there are still Fae out there in the far corners of Malifaux.  She seems to think they'll return to serve their queen, but she's pretty arrogant, so who knows?  And if the ones who betrayed her or their descendants are still around, what have they been doing all this time?  They likely won't be showing up with a fruit basket and a Starbucks gift card in the hopes she'll forgive them.

Maybe they'll show up with a fruitcake. That'd be pretty solid evidence of their hostile intent.

10 minutes ago, SoylentRobot said:

Isn't Killjoy one of the Fae? He's an undead neverborn, and has the same bleeding eye sockets deal going on

I don't think his undead-ness runs along the lines of the Fae. He was living at some point, got murdered by his peers, and somehow returned to the land of the unliving, probably by a route other than was taken by Titania's forces. Likewise the blood from the eye sockets is probably a coincidence.

I mean, they *could* retcon it, but Killjoy is back from first edition and I don't even know if Titania and co. were glimmers in Wyrd's eye at the time.

On 12/26/2016 at 6:22 AM, Pyrflamme said:

I mean, they *could* retcon it, but Killjoy is back from first edition and I don't even know if Titania and co. were glimmers in Wyrd's eye at the time.

It's hard to say just what was pre-planned in the Malifaux story and what wasn't. For instance there's hints about the Governor's eventual link with Jack Daw as far back as the 1st ed. Malifaux rulebook, where the Governor's mansion and the Hanging Tree was described as directly opposite one another (I need to confirm that, and the exact wording though!). Other stuff might have evolved more recently, like the nature and story of Meridion.

In any case, it's almost impossible to say just how the Malifaux Story has evolved over time, what threads were introduced when and how early it was decided that certain Masters like Titania were to be a part of the Lore. In all honesty, only Nathan knows and unless I can one day corner him and get him REEALLLY drunk, we'll probably never find out. 

• Like 2