August 15th - App

Lucidicide

Interesting. A novel  way of potentially bringing in a  larger  audience  and troubleshooting /refining army lists assuming  it is a copy of the original game. Nothing beats  the tactile  feel  and labor  of  love  assembly and  painting  of  the  real thing of course  but it would be  cool to see  the characters  'come to life' in true  video  game  fashion. 

That would be  useful. Having all the upgrade and character cards on the table can get crowded. It'd  also be nice to be able to quickly reference what  your opponent's  army list can do amd Also helps to keep  current on card errata. Looking forward to it!

• Like 1

It'll be interesting to see how it compares to Privateer Press' War Room. I like War Room a lot and am looking forward to what Wyrd comes out with, though curious to see how, or if, Wyrd handles all the status effects in Malifaux.

Also my wallet is ready for the The Other Side kickstarter, Aaron! Sign me the heck up for a Three Kingdoms army! Get it up already! :lol:

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Nathan Caroland said:

Heh, before too much speculation goes on - he's talking crew, cards, tournament app, with some other goodies thrown in. Not a full on 'play Malifaux online' game. Though truth be known, we've been tossing that about as well ..

If you guys could get Focus Home Interactive/Cyanide or 2k Games/Fireaxis that would be awesome!!!

Xcom set precedent for turnbased strategy games. Though I would find it cool if you guys did an RPG.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Nathan Caroland said:

Heh, before too much speculation goes on - he's talking crew, cards, tournament app, with some other goodies thrown in. Not a full on 'play Malifaux online' game. Though truth be known, we've been tossing that about as well ..

Thats going to be great when it comes to keeping track of things. As far as playing Malifaux online it'd be nice to have a vassal update (teaching a friend to play this week!), and to make sure any Malifaux online game didn't fall down the same hole as the completely underwhelming Warmachine adaptation was. Or the Mordheim adaptation.

• Like 2

It's great that Halifax is going to have a digital app, and hopefully will support all the current operating systems (iOS, Android, Windows, Amazon, etc).

What I'm hoping it will include:

**All stat cards and upgrade cards (I think all players will expect this), including any corrections/FAQs/erratas that have been made, and changes can be made quickly to any card requiring a edit by developers.  

**Tournament tracking (for all supported formats), with an option to send results to Halifax rankings (if that's your thing).

**Access to current FAQs/erratas (might be extra work but would be very useful).  Or a link to their location on the Wyrd website.

Other stuff: cost of the app and buying additional faction decks, considering many players already own all their respective the wave 1 and wave 2 cards and buying them again in the app may cause issues.

As someone who has played Warmachine and used War Room (only the 1st version, not their current version), this is what I DON'T WANT TO OCCUR in the Malifaux community because of a digital app:

People who play ONLY using the app. (Yes, there are Warmahordes players like this).  Tablets/phones aren't the most reliable and can crash during events.  I don't want to have to ask my opponent to hand me their $$$ device just to show me a stat card. Stat cards should be required for all competitive events, and even just for general play, and the app would be used as a list builder/tournament tracker rather than a damage tracker like in War Room.  Because of issues of apps crashing and losing information, and then time being used to restart the device, time is lost to play and the player whose device crashed may not remember all the damage models have taken before the app crashed.  

Also, the current edition of War Room charged players to pay for stat cards they already paid for in the last edition of the app (Warmachine MKII), which I found to be greedy and unfair, which is why I refuse to use the the MKIII edition of the app.  For example, I own all the Cygnar cards for MKII in War Room.  In MKIII, I would have to re-purchase them.  I wasn't going to spend that money again, especially when I bought the deck of all the updated cards.

This being said, from my experience with War Room, please don't make it a damage tracker.  

This is strictly my opinions from experience with War Room (both previous and current edition).  

• Like 8

9 hours ago, twilightmikasa said:

This being said, from my experience with War Room, please don't make it a damage tracker.

May I say I'd disagree. I would like it to track damage and leave it to the players or TOs if they want to allow play entirely from the app or require cards on the table.

15 hours ago, twilightmikasa said:

Because of issues of apps crashing and losing information, and then time being used to restart the device, time is lost to play and the player whose device crashed may not remember all the damage models have taken before the app crashed.  

From my dabbling in WarmaHordes years ago I fathomed, that if you use the App and the App crashes it was regarded as an automatic loss for you; since you could not expect your opponent to do remmeber everything.

So I would not object to allowing the app at a tournament. The risks need to be clear though.

• Like 2

An app with the cards is a cool idea, since PDF load times on my phone take too long on each page. 

An app that can replace physical cards during a game is a terrible idea, because I want to see, in front of me, all of my own and my opponent's cards, including counters, dry erase notes, and damage sustained. List building, game generation, references and auto-updated errata/FAQ are awesome, but possible shenanigans during a tournament is not cool. I do not believe in the honor system when prize support is on the line. 

• Like 3

I hope it is a cautious undertaking with the app.  Make it so we can experiment with crews, etc.  Don't make it so a game can be played on it.  Many of us saw what happened to that kind of hybrid technology in Golem Arcana (granted, that was more ambitious... but when you HAVE to have the app to play bad things can happen).  I have found that even with games that have technology assistance, I much prefer a game where all the cards are on the table.  I play tabletop games to interact with people... not to find just another place to sit and talk to people who are just looking at their phone.  And don't misconstrue that I am a technophobe... I have worked in IT for over 20 years.  I have a mac and a PC on my desk at home and at work.  I use technology for shortcuts all day every day.  However I have also found that as a society the more technology we have available the less we interact with each other.  This interaction is important.  We are collectively losing our cultural stories, our history as a family... much less a people, our myths and warnings that teach us common sense.  

Hmmm... wait a minute... so if you are all distracted with the new app, it will make my victories easier... well... in that case, who am I to stand in the way of technology?

• Like 6

Honestly my hope is that whoever is implementing the app has been paying attention to what War Room did and then what changes were made to War Room 2 which made it a ton more useable:

* Being able to see multiple armies worth of cards during a game

* Being able to search the card information

* Being able to run a multiple player game locally (no network required) on the device

2 hours ago, Grayfax said:

Hmmm... wait a minute... so if you are all distracted with the new app, it will make my victories easier... well... in that case, who am I to stand in the way of technology?

You're not interacting with anyone when you've got your nose buried in a handful of printed cards (or book or newspaper or other primitive reference materials), either.  :P 

• Like 2