Shadow Lair

Four_N_Six

Okay, so I'm not fully sure I understand what I'm about to suggest, so let's try.

I'm trying to figure out how Bandersnatch can use (1) Dart Out, and I'm low on options.  He can use it to unbury from a model that has the Shadow Lair upgrade attached from the actions of a friendly model, but Bandersnatch is Rare 1 and attaching the upgrade is a (0) action.  So is there a model I'm not thinking of that can copy a (0) action to give Bandersnatch options for bouncing around the table effectively?  I'm not thinking of a way to attach a second Shadow Lair upgrade to a different enemy model.

I don't have the book in front of me but if it says friendly I think that's just there to keep you from jumping out of a shadow lair your opponent puts down in case they also have a bandersnatch.

Dart out is there so you can pop out on your own turn and rebury before an opponent can get a shot in instead of waiting for the upgrade to tick down and force you out potentially somewhere you don't want to be.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Four_N_Six said:

I agree on the strategy of it, it's just worded in a way that seems to hint at having more than 1 lair at a time 

Not 100% sure on the whole rare 1 thing, but can you summon a rare 1 model whilst you have one buried?

I.E. Hire a BSnatch and use it to shadow lair something and bury it, then use Dreamer to summon another one and use THAT one to shadow lair something else?

On 8/16/2016 at 8:54 AM, Adran said:

I guess you could hire a bandersnatch, bury it, have it die buried, and then summon another one. Then you would have 2 shadow lairs out. 

This won't do anything though, as only "the model that attached" the upgrade can draw LoS and range. So if it dies the first Shadow Lair upgrade is sort of useless (except it will still do dmg twice).

For me I see putting Shadow Lair on my own models (LCB, Lilitu, Lelu, Teddy, Nekima, etc.) All models that either regen, but have Black Blood or in LCB case you don't care if he takes damage because you'll likely bring dreamer back before he dies.

53 minutes ago, PeregrineFalcon said:

This won't do anything though, as only "the model that attached" the upgrade can draw LoS and range. So if it dies the first Shadow Lair upgrade is sort of useless (except it will still do dmg twice).

For me I see putting Shadow Lair on my own models (LCB, Lilitu, Lelu, Teddy, Nekima, etc.) All models that either regen, but have Black Blood or in LCB case you don't care if he dies cause you get dreamer back. 

Completely agree, more control with where the unit is and what's in range. 

And using models with terrifying or pounce and healing can really make the most of the triggers. I personally see coppelious illuminated and teddy being prime hosts for this guy as you get to control the horror flip.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, PeregrineFalcon said:

For me I see putting Shadow Lair on my own models (LCB, Lilitu, Lelu, Teddy, Nekima, etc.) All models that either regen, but have Black Blood or in LCB case you don't care if he dies cause you get dreamer back. 

I think you probably do care because the Dreamer will then be slow, no?

But in response to the OP, you're friendly with yourself, that's all their getting at. 

16 hours ago, lusciousmccabe said:

I think you probably do care because the Dreamer will then be slow, no?

Yeah, I actually meant more that its not a big deal that LCB takes damage because you'd bury him to bring dreamer out. I shouldn't have said die. But the idea with LCB is put it on him and then let the two ticks of dmg occur but by the time hes low enough he either has brought dreamer back out or the game is over and during that time the Shadow Lair upgrade has done what it needed.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

In my opinion the wording that you think is hinting at having more than one out is actually stopping broken interactions if both you and an opponent have a Bandersnatch.

There is no way to my knowledge to have multiple functional Shadow Lairs out. In the corner case example where a Bandersnatch dies while still having its upgrade attached (which should be very rare, since if the upgrade is one someone that means he's buried in Shadow where not much can hit him), the lair will tick down for damage until it falls off. Even if you summon a new Bandersnatch it cannot interact in any way with the previous lair.

They seemed to have closed most of the loop holes that would let someone break this model. You can't have more than one, the lair is only on the unit while it is buried, and the Bandersnatch can only draw LoS and range from a model with the upgrade while buried so if its buried by a marshall or Aionus then no attacking.