Parker Tactics

jphealy

I think they really shine in Last Blossom lists and they're a good option to have in Bandits. They want to work in tandem with another melee fighter to get more mileage out of Coordinated Strike, or operate in a scheme denial role. A New Horizon is an insanely good denial ability, and between Ever Changing Wind and the Reposition trigger on their pistol they have a good deal of maneuverability.

I could see them run with the Viks but mostly I think they'll want to run in-theme with one of their keywords. 

I played just about the worst game I've ever done today with Parker.

Extraction vs Reva. We screwed up on so many rules that we should both probably just go back to learning games. St Vincent was shooting sue forgetting to flip for randomization, but I was firing back using return fire despite being engaged. Reva was ignoring line of sight to corpses, I was giving myself negatives on my flips to heal Sue, I remembered to draw cards for eating scheme markers once, I remembered to draw for killing a model once, it was a nightmare. He's got so much going on that I'm sure I'll be making mistakes for a while.

Some positives: firing at my engaged bandit to get shots on a shield bearer, Hayreddin and a corpse candle, then picking it back up and doing it again, all after Mad Dog put down his ignore cover marker, it felt fantastic. 

Mad Dog was a champ. Don't get stuck in melee with two enemies though.

Parker feels like it'll be easy to fall into analysis paralysis with. So many options.

Despite losing handily, the game was a blast. He's definitely a fun master to play.

• Like 1

Yes, the first couple of games I felt your pain (still do) on Analysis Paralysis. Next couple of games got a bit easier as I made it a point to limit myself to only 4 of his upgrades (both limited, crate of dynamite, and Stick Up) plus the initial Oath Keeper that I purchased. After those next couple games I have expanded to include a couple more upgrades, which made it a lot easier to learn instead of trying to read all of them each time I wanted to swap in a new one to decide which one to use. I am tackling his upgrades the same way I tackle a new crew in a new fact...limit my options and learn them, then expand. It's make it a lot easier and giving me more time to really put some upgrades through their paces before I move on to include others.

• Like 1

I'm going to be hopefully dropping him tonight so I'll report how it goes. I do think Parker can effectively run Ama No Zako as he can so easily gain Stones to pay for her suits. Also giving her a free walk from up to 18" away is pretty good!

Edit:

Game was over rather quickly. I was pretty much trounced by McMourning as Parker received a Red Joker on Damage and was promptly murdered shortly thereafter by transfusion and expunge. I did take the Dead Outlaws and I think they are very, very good for their soul stone cost of 6. They have a pretty nasty interaction with Parker and Coordinated Heist in that assuming you are engaged by at least two models you will heal off each scheme marker dropped. Their gun's trigger to ignore Armor, Hard to Wound and Hard to Kill is also significant even if the tome isn't built in. It gives a lot of flexibility to the crew's shooting. My complete list was below and I took Convict Labor, and Exhaust their Forces under Interference. In hindsight these were sub-par schemes at best as Hunting Party would have been an overall better choice. I was roadblocked really hard by the Carrion Emissary's shards on turn 1 which impacted my plan to spread out significantly.

Parker - Coordinated Heist, Oathkeeper, and Hail of Bullets

Doc

Mad Dog - Lucky Poncho and Oathkeeper

Hannah

Sue - Return Fire

2x Dead Outlaw

The draw from Sue, larger hand size and the draw from Highwayman was pretty instrumental in keeping his Flesh Constructs from gaining Reactivate. I just didn't take the best schemes but was planning this list as my overall Ressur drop. I am not completely sold on Hannah but she did copy Curse of the Covetous from the Dead Outlaw which was just okay. Bad things happen.

As Trample also said, I think that the Strongarm Suit might be a nice companion for Parker in a lot of cases. If the enemy uses a lot of powerful ranged attacks then you can get an early Human Shield and pass some on to the Suit, and if it manages to charge a bunch of models you can fire away with abandon into the fray without hurting it much. The Doc can join them too and try to patch up the small, bullet-sized leaks in the poor fellow. :P 
Add the new "The Bigger They Are" to the Suit and then you can have weak damage of 4 against some enforcers or henchmen. :) 

I used Strongarm the past couple games with Bigger They Are. He works wonderfully as a front line beater holding up the opponent, or key models, while Parker and crew deal with others from range. The Bigger They Are upgrade turns him into a monster able to beat down big and small models alike with equal effectiveness. I highly recommend that upgrade for him, no matter which Outcast crew you hire him.

• Like 1

@SJW

I used Envy in a game tonight, and found him to be a great addition to the Parker crew. It was very easy and effective to have Parker or his crew to drop scheme markers within 3" of an enemy via their attack triggers and then to have Envy use his attacks (or have Parker 0AP to make him attack) and gain the +1 SH:tome for the Blast trigger. His ability to hand out, or gain, focus for a discard was nice, as was using Mad Dog's Blast Area (no cover vs SH attacks to anyone within 3" of the marker) to help him beat down his targets. I highly enjoyed him in the crew and plan to take him more.

I finally got him on the table last week and had a low scoring victory with him (5-3) and he was as fun to play as expected. I started with Highwayman, Hail of Bullets, and Oathkeeper on Parker. The rest of the crew was Mad Dog, 2 Bandidos, Big Jake, Doc, Strongarm Suit, and Johanna. 

Parker used OK on round 1 and cycled in Crate of Dynamite. I kept Highwayman for most of the game (discarded in round 4 or 5 when I had Johanna attack with it). The zero attack action is the primary value on this card and makes having bandits in the group more valuable. Dynamite is a huge card drain if you can get 3+ in the blast. Parker has so many options during his turn with these upgrades in hard (Dynamite, Hail of Bullets) that I very rarely used him to do any direct attacks. Usually he did a hands in the air, dynamite, hail of bullets, zero attack, and zero upgrade cycle. I do need to work on remembering all of Parker's card and soulstone cycling mechanics. I forgot to draw cards for Highwayman twice. 

Mad Dog does a ton of damage and my opponent targeted him hard. I think Lucky Poncho is likely an autotake. Mad Dog lived in rounds 3 & 4 with one wound and finally died in the fifth. I ran him with Oathkeeper as well and he can erase almost anything in turn two by discarding that to get into position, blowing it to hell as a zero, then discarding for rapid shot. 

Bandidos worked really well. Nothing spectacular, but their run and gun is a nice thing to be able to do on their way to run schemes. 

• Like 1

I finally got him on the table last week and had a low scoring victory with him (5-3) and he was as fun to play as expected. I started with Highwayman, Hail of Bullets, and Oathkeeper on Parker. The rest of the crew was Mad Dog, 2 Bandidos, Big Jake, Doc, Strongarm Suit, and Johanna. 

Parker used OK on round 1 and cycled in Crate of Dynamite. I kept Highwayman for most of the game (discarded in round 4 or 5 when I had Johanna attack with it). The zero attack action is the primary value on this card and makes having bandits in the group more valuable. Dynamite is a huge card drain if you can get 3+ in the blast. Parker has so many options during his turn with these upgrades in hard (Dynamite, Hail of Bullets) that I very rarely used him to do any direct attacks. Usually he did a hands in the air, dynamite, hail of bullets, zero attack, and zero upgrade cycle. I do need to work on remembering all of Parker's card and soulstone cycling mechanics. I forgot to draw cards for Highwayman twice. 

Mad Dog does a ton of damage and my opponent targeted him hard. I think Lucky Poncho is likely an autotake. Mad Dog lived in rounds 3 & 4 with one wound and finally died in the fifth. I ran him with Oathkeeper as well and he can erase almost anything in turn two by discarding that to get into position, blowing it to hell as a zero, then discarding for rapid shot. 

Bandidos worked really well. Nothing spectacular, but their run and gun is a nice thing to be able to do on their way to run schemes. 

This, overall, is pretty much my experiences with Parker & Mad Dog. I rarely use his gun except maybe once every other turn to set up a scheme marker where needed or late game to just discard upgrades and put as much damage into a key model if all else as failed (or if something just HAS to die to ensure scoring VP) but even that is rare.

For my play, Lucky Poncho (which is an auto-include for me) and Oath Keeper are the two primary upgrades I take on Mad Dog, but those games where I'm strapped for points due to trying out models, I will drop Oath Keeper and just use Parker's push to help get Mad Dog in position.

The Bandidos are nice enough. Simple, but effective at what they do, and the pushes have saved their butts, or surprised the opponents by getting into positions they weren't expecting, quite a few times now. I do suggest giving the Dead Outlaws a go if you get the chance. I miss the pushes from Bandidos when playing them, but they compensate nicely with a bit more durability and their plethora of triggers.

The Dead Outlaws at 6 soulstone are a bargain. I think there is some serious play there with the Hodgepodge Emissary and/or Aionus to give Fast. I really like the Hodgepodge with Parker as giving companion to Doc and Regen to Sue really helps long term. Postiives to Attack Flips on the Outlaws lets you either fish for those Tomes or at the very least cheat out of your hand when shooting against cover or another negative modifier. Obviously this is easier with Mad Dog blowing apart their cover. I converted up two of them from the TTB just used a zombie head for one and the "bandit" head for the other. Taking Black Market, Coordinated Heist and Oathkeeper you can set up for a fairly easy turn 2 Convict Labor.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Hey all, 
im new to outcast coming from a gremlin side of the game. 
I picked up parker and a few other bits as he looked soo good to play and different to what i am used to. 

Had 2 games so far, bear with me being new to outcasts is didnt use the general upgrades 

First Game ( VS TT Mei Feng) 

won 9-5

Used the crew box plus hannah and a trapper 

second game ( VS Ramos) 

won 9-3

swapped out hannah, trapper and 1 bandido 

for Taelor, Hans and big jake

Both games took lucky poncho on Mad dog, and highway man and stick up on Parker. 
things ive found 

crate of dynamite is awesome fun 
blown apart can change a game 
Not convined hannah is worth it other than the card draw, think i like taelor more 

Played yesterday against Misaki and well... it was awful, but at least Parker went down as he wanted, on a blaze of glory. My crew was Parker (don't recall the upgrades), Mad Dog with the poncho, Doc, one bandit, Sue, two trappers and the librarian.

First turn, Doc went down (!!) even in heavy coberture thanks to the red joker. I lost the initiative in the second turn and Misaki stalked and wiped out Mad Dog, while I was flipping black jokers like a madman (I flipped the black joker the five turns!!). And from there it went downhill.

Lessons learnt: Parker is cool and crate of dynamite it's so much fun. A heavy beater it's necessary but I want something to fit in the crew theme (for this match I skipped that, I bought the guild riflemen to use them as trappers with Parker). Ah, yes, another one, I hate Misaki the most. 

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Skillmatic said:

I'm not finding a Role for my Dead Outlaws, at least not with the Strats set up for this tournament season? The Banditos have been performing excellently with Run and Gun. Any pointers for the Dead Outlaws in Parker and Daw's Crew?

This feeling when min 3 damage against models with upgrades attached is not enough...

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Question black market

If you remove a enemy scheme you get a ss at end of activations

So does that mean if you start running low you shoot trigger to remove highwayman then shoot again and place and enemy scheme marker then fI've finger discount using their scheme to get black market and end up 2 ss up that turn?

No. You would end with +1 SS. 

The reason I say this is to gain the bonus for Black Market's ability you have to have Black Market on you. As it was not a current active upgrade on Parker when you discarded the scheme marker, then the bonus SS gain doesn't come into play.

The same holds true for the card draw from Highwayman (specifying for clarification even though it wasn't part of the question. You removed Highwayman prior to the scheme marker, so no card gain.

Huh is that really how that works? The way I read it, whenever Parker has Black Market attached, he has the ability that (paraphrasing) "if an enemy scheme marker was removed during his activation, gain 1SS at the end of his activation". As long as he has the ability at the end of his activation, does it matter that the marker was removed when he didn't have the ability? I wouldn't say so based on current wording, but maybe this has been clarified somewhere that I'm unaware of?