Hazardous terrain ideas

Inquisitor Wall

I am working on some general terrain for our local game store in a couple of weeks, and have been trying to think of ideas for hazardous terrain.  So far the only things I have been able to come up with are cacti, lava, and burning buildings.  Any additional or outside the box ideas would be greatly appreciated.

For garden/city:

Patch of brambles - hazardous, severe, soft cover

Stagnant pond - severe, hazardous (because bugs, or maybe carnivorous fish)

Spiked railing - impassable, climable, hazardous

Spiky wall (with glass bottles if you like) - blocking, impassable, climable, hazardous

You could also have a plague midden (hazardous hill) or some small buildings contaminated with necromantic spill-off, disease, bad vibes. 

• Like 1

For my Asian graveyard/shrine stuff I went with a small piece with ghostly hands coming from the ground.  Am not completely happy with the piece so I am going to be doing some more at some point here when I feel the terrain bug again.

Another one is a shallow pit of bugs.  I took some swarm from reaper bones, an old gift card that I was done with, built up some churned earth around the swarms, and got a dangerous flesh eating bug pit.  I left the swarms loose so if necessary they could be removed for models to cross but it was rarely a problem.  I also made a pair of campfires that could be removed from the small piece of terrain for some more hazardous terrain.  I also have a half done charcoal pit, basically the smothering pieces in a nice decent sized circle.  I need to get it painted at some point.

Another one I have been meaning to make is a piece with an exposed pipe that is cracked open and have a smoke cloud on it *on washers so I can remove it when a model enters it*, the smoke cloud of course can either be super heated steam or some corrosive gas.  That way I could have a hazardous terrain that was dense and soft cover but not Severe *as a lot seem to be severe*.

• Like 2

So there was a point (I'll get back to it) when I was going to do 8-Bit Super Mario themed terrain.  Would have been easy enough.  But one of my ideas was a lava pool (Bowser's Castle).  Pretty generic.  Another good one that you could also try is a chain chomp.  It was going to be a piece of terrain with a chain chomp on it (go figure), and it would just attack if you got within range.  It could easily be something else.  City board?  Maybe there's an entertainment district and some guild jerk has a terror tot chained to a post.  Or in the swamp, maybe some gremlins have pigs chained up as guard dogs.

• 1 month later...