Arcanist Tournament Report

Mxbedlam

Malifaux Tournament Report!
So Dawn McCormack Plunge decided nicely to let us practice on NOVA Open scheme pools, which I was happy to have the practice. I walked in today with Arcanists ready to go.
Round 1 was:
Corner Deploy
Guard Stash
Convict
Hunting Party
Show of Force
Leave Your Mark
Occupy Territory.
My opponent Sam Newman brought Titania, Aslyn, 2 of the Knights, Johan, Doppelganger and a Primordial. (Don’t remember upgrades) I took Rasputina (December’s Pawn, Cold Nights), Snow Storm (sub zero), 2 Acolytes, 2 Silent Ones, and an Ice Gamin.
The terrain was an ice board, perfect for me to block his line of sight and push him over towards one side of the board and a clump up, which he did. He did manage to kill an acolyte and a gamin quickly, but after that Raspy started blasting in, denying him any points for Guard the Stash. Unfortunately, I took hunting party, not realizing the Knights were minions too and cost myself points there. My opponent and I both weren’t familiar with Titania and figuring out how things worked cost us some time. We didn’t finish Round 3 before time and he came away with a win. It was a tight game that probably would have gone to more of a route as the game went on. All in all, fantastic game!
4-3
Highlight of the Game: Watching my opponent ‘s grin as a Red Joker/Black Joker damage flip didn’t mean 0 damage.
Round 2
Standard Deploy
Headhunter
Convict
Show of Force
Exhaust Forces
Detonate Charges
One other I can’t remember
My opponent, Kevin, took Dreamer (Summon Upgrade), 2 Knights, Candy, Angel Eyes, and a day dream. I brought Ramos (Under pressure, Combat Mechanic, Field Generator), Joss (Powered by Flame, Bleeding Edge Tech), 2 Coryphee, Arcane Effigy, Electric Creation. And Brass Arachnid. We were playing on a table with a large opening in the middle and my opponent spent a lot of the turn summoning alps from behind a screen. I went to the middle and quickly started spitting out spiders while the Coryphee went around exhausting things and killing Candy. Eventually my opponent went for a desperate gamble and tried to get Dreamer close to pop Chompy. He failed his summon and didn’t get the Awakening though and Joss was able to finish Dreamer off. From there on, the game went pretty much in my favor.
10-7
Highlight of the game: Double positives on coryphee attack and def thanks to Ramos’ auras

Round 3
Flank Deploy
Stake a Claim
Hunting Party
Show of Force
Set UP
Public Demonstration
Convict Labor
My opponent Thomas Geater, brought Nico, Phillip and the Nanny, Emissary, 2 Necropunks and Mortimer. I brought Colette (Shell Game, Choreography, Nothing Up My Sleeve), Myranda (Imbued), Captain (Patron), Performer, Mannequin, acolyte, Dove, Silent One. Right from the start I knew I needed Pressure on the Emissary or it’d cause problems. Myranda did just that, Mauling it down to 1 HP before it got to activate and take her down. Captain finished the job with some burning from air burst, and prompting from Colette made it possible to drop early claim markers. Meanwhile, sneaky Necro punks dropped markers for Set Up. I missed a 2nd turn chance to claim Hunting Party, but set up Convict Labor without a problem. By the end of turn 4, I had lost captain and any chance to gain more hunting party and the massive ball of necropunks my opponent summoned allowed him to tie up the score.
7-7
Highlight of the game: Phillip and the Nanny dropped a Red Joker on the captain, taking him down and forcing the silent one to do the rest of the work.

All in all it was a fun tournament, I came away with a 1-1-1 rating but won a raffle prize of a Mat By Mars. My opponents were all fun to play and great sports. I’m looking forward to bringing my Arcanists to NOVA and trying my luck in the Open.
  • Like 1