Ironsides V Lady Justice 50ss

DrEvilmonki

This is my first go at a battle report. I am very new to Malifaux as is my opponent so expect to read a lot of mistakes :). I am doing the battle report just to try to show myself where I can improve, plus I am really digging the game. I do need to take more notes and more photos, but of course that will slow down the game.

We played a 50ss gaining ground battle tonight. Ironsides vs Lady J.

Corner deployment and  interference. I took Inspection and Take prisoner (Scales of Justice as target) and Lady J took Convict Labour and Take Prisoner (Ironsides as target). I have to say that surprised me when he revealed it at the end as Ironsides isn't generally someone you want to leave alive, but it worked out for him in this instance.

Ironsides crew had The Captain, 3 Oxfordian mages, a Gunsmith and 2 Steam Arachnids.

Lady justice had The Judge, Scales of Justice, Lone Marshall, @ death marshals and 2 exorcists (he proxied these with pistoleros as he wanted to try them before ordering some).

Sorry for the flash photography, best I could do for close ups on the night. And yes I chopped off about half of Lady J's hair.

uc?export=download&id=0ByREuIS6eJgyeWNST

uc?export=download&id=0ByREuIS6eJgyekVWb

Turn1

uc?export=download&id=0ByREuIS6eJgyUWROS

uc?export=download&id=0ByREuIS6eJgyUENVb

The photo of Lady J's setup is after the lone marshal had moved.

Captain furiously casts his airburst to move Ironsides, a mage and an arachnid. The arachnids and the gunsmith heading up the left flanks while the mages head toward the right. One mage furiously casts at ironsides using the wind blast trigger she is pushed another 12", although with triple negative I get severe damage for my troubles. Ironsides is then able to triple walk to be engaged with the Judge, Lone marshal and an exorcist who are moving up Jady J's left flank. Lady J the marshals and the 2nd exorcist head middle and right.

Turn 2

Guild win initiative and the Lone marshal trick shots to push out of Ironsides engagement and shoots into the melee. The judge gets shot but stones away the damage. Ironsides can only manage 1 hit on the Judge and then rushes the lone marshal to put herself out of LoS for charges.

Exorcist walks and is able to spread false accusations against Ironsides, she is now treated as undead until the end of the turn. The Judge's Bound by law is severe, 2 points prevented so 6 points and Ironsides is down to 3 wounds.

uc?export=download&id=0ByREuIS6eJgyRG9oM

Lady J charges a poor little arachnid, fails to kill it.

I score 1 VP for Interference as Lady J's crew are engaged or within 6" of the center.

Turn 3

Guild wins initiative and Ironsides is in trouble, only living thanks to the Judge flipping the Black Joker on his last attack, leaving her on 1. The mages have re-positioned so she regenerates 1 on activation . Ironsides isn't able to accumulate more than 1 adrenaline so is left with her rather insipid damage brass knuckles, with hard to wound and hard to kill, the guild are not to her liking and she isn't able to achieve much. On the left flank the Captain airbursts Lady J into his engagement after she kills the arachnid, this prevents her from scoring from Interference again. One arachnid gets to one corner and a mage hits the other.

uc?export=download&id=0ByREuIS6eJgyNXRZR

1 more VP to Ironsides.

Turn 4

The captain dies, the left side of the battlefield is Lady J's except for the lone arachnid in the corner.

uc?export=download&id=0ByREuIS6eJgyVDFIS

Ironsides manages to kill the exorcist but is otherwise as in effectual as before.

uc?export=download&id=0ByREuIS6eJgyNWc3a

The lone marshal kills one mage while another kills a death marshal. the scales has hidden himself in a building next to Ironsides and the lone marshal. The Judge moves to try to lure the other mage out of the corner but fails.

Lady J gets 1 VP from convict Labour. Ironsides Scores 1 for Inspection

Turn 5

The judge is able to lure the mage out of the corner and then finishes him off. Ironsides can see the scales through the window and rushes him after failing to kill the lone marshal. Lady justice kills the last mage and then runs inside the building to be next to Ironsides.

uc?export=download&id=0ByREuIS6eJgyajB6U

Flip to end is an 11, so game doesn't finish.

Lady justice scores for interference and convict labour.

Round 6 and Ironsides is cut down.

Lady justice scores for interference and convict labour.

Lady Justice 5 Ironsides 3.

My main learning from this was I was to aggressive with Ironsides, I wanted her to be disruptive for him while my crew scored the points and while that worked out ok I should have waited until turn 2 to move her up. With the guild he simply didn't have the low cost minions that Toni loves to beat on to generate her adrenaline so she needed more support to be effective. I should have taken advantage of her hand picked men before getting her more personally involved. Since there isn't much point in getting her up as quickly, having the three mages was overkill and a second gunsmith or an arachnid swarm to get rid of scheme markers would have been a better choice. I also used soul stones for suits to try and build up adrenaline through her brass knuckles but either missed or, in the Judges case, he stoned away the damage so I didn't get the trigger. The Captain also shouldn't have pushed Lady J the full 5" from his air burst, with a 3" engagement he could have left her having to spend extra APs to attack him. Wouldn't have affected the outcome, but trying to remember all the little things can add up.

Overall I am really happy with Ironsides, I enjoy her play style, but I have to say her weaknesses mean that mistakes get punished and punished severely and as I am still learning the intricacies of the game mistakes are more frequent than I would like. I will be happy once I have Ramos put together and painted, just to give me that flexibility for crew selection.

Lady justice made a couple of positional mistakes that cost her a couple of VP but her exorcist combo with the Judge was a nice move and he is ordering the real things. He used his lone marshal pretty well, pushing out from Toni to take pot shots at mages. I still think making Toni the prisoner target was a bit silly as he couldn't seem to decide from one turn to the next if he would try to kill her or not. In the end it clearly didn't affect the result though.

• Like 1

Nice report, especially for a first ever go.  It was clear and easy to follow the action.  The only thing I would ask would be for a bit more discussion of why you chose those schemes.  In particular, your friend selecting Take Prisoner on Ironsides, then cutting her down anyway seems like an interesting choice.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Argentbadger said:

Nice report, especially for a first ever go.  It was clear and easy to follow the action.  The only thing I would ask would be for a bit more discussion of why you chose those schemes.  In particular, your friend selecting Take Prisoner on Ironsides, then cutting her down anyway seems like an interesting choice.

He did that because he had won at that point anyway. He lost one point in effect as I had take prisoner on his scales.

I took take prisoner on the scales as it is an ineffective melee model which needs to be close to his crew for the buffing it gives. I figured if I could tie his crew up then I might be able to slip someone past on turn four or five to just stand next to him. That part of the plan worked, I just didn't have anyone else left to keep his other models at bay.

Inspection I took because I misread the card, didn't realise I needed someone on both flanks. But I also took it because I figured with interference I would have people ranging into the quarters to score for that and prevent him from scoring. In the end I scored 2 points for inspection and would have scored the three except for a failed WP save.