Any RoF Info?

bstorz

I don't have the book but a friend showed me Ohaguro Bettari's card because I was curious. No major spoilers ahead but if you want to savor it completely stop reading.

She will be a great anti-scheme runner with her ability to charge without LOS and ignoring terrain and other models for the charge. Very ~spooky~ and she will be an amazing anti-summoner with her ability to place into B2B within 6" aura. Same damage track as the Shadow Em. if I remember right. She synergies with other Oni in a few different ways but she is also really squishy. Hiding her and unleashing her at the right time will be critical to her not getting focused on. I predict she will be great for Hunting Party on a board with plenty of blocking/impassable terrain.

• Like 1

I listened to the podcast that the Malifools had with Justin and I noted down some information on Asami's totem.  I think it's going to be a super fun model.  If any of the below information is incorrect, let me know.

It's a typical totem in cost and its insignificant.  But it has disguise and manipulation.  It has a cast action that can increase a model's condition by +1.  But this action can only affect a model once per turn.  Note that it's any condition with a + value.  It works on an enemy model with poison or burning and such.  It also has a melee attack that does 1/2/3 damage and if the enemy crew is winning, it adds +1 damage per VP up to a maximum of +2 damage.

I believe this is okay to share considering Justin shared this on the podcast that is publicly available.

• Like 3

I'm really not liking this VP-mechanic. Not on Asami's and the TT upgrade, either. Besides the whole you have to be in a pretty bad spot to use it thing (if you can summon more than a Tengu it's not going to save you anyways), it's just feels All gameplay no fluff. In the game as a whole, these terms and concepts are fine, but on models it just sort-of skirts the borders of being too meta.

I'd wait for the book/fluff to be in my hand before writing it off as not being fluffy. To me, it seems like a really cool design space that I'm glad Justin et al found; if they fit the fluff to it, that's even cooler. Thunders have a hard time finding a finding a cohesive theme, because so many models have to fit into other factions. Finding unique space to design them into like this VP-counting stuff is a good thing for the game, imo.

• Like 2

I also find that the theme of 'balancing' the enemy getting ahead of you is something positive. The Asami page on Wyrd's site mentions an upgrade that says it well, "Feigned Weakness". Games that are heavily contested can tend to be very close in VP scores for the two players during turns. Now lagging behind does not seem that bad as you will have momentum to turn the tables around.  They might be ahead now, but you can set all up for an unpredictable burst and a win in the end! All in all it's quite chaotic and unpredictable, like Oni spawning from nothingness straight into your face :P
Edit: There is something VP-related in the TT upgrades as well? I'm off to listen to that podcast :o

The vp differences thing is something you do have some control over. Pick schemes that score at the end, and hope they haven't. Don't worry so much about them taking something like frame for murder, killing it early can net you quite a few extra models. For something you were probably going to do anyway. 

• Like 2

I think wave 4 is going to take 10T to a whole new level, and while Asami is very exciting, I think the most exciting models are actually the Terracotta Warriors. 5ss model that can take (and subsequently ignore) damage on behalf of another model - suddenly Asami doesn't look to fragile.

Most importantly is the action Justin mentioned that people seem to have glossed over a little: an action to swap upgrades! Firstly, that makes 10T incredibly versatile. Put smoke grenades on Ototo while he walks up the board, then at the last minute swap it to recalled training. That upgrade on Asami which let's you summon when you are losing - start with that, once you are winning swap to something else (I can't remember if it was non-leader). Secondly, you know how you look at Wonder Weasel and go: he'd be good with Shenlong, Yan Lo or McCabe, but I wouldn't want to lose my Peasants / Soul Porter / sometimes Luna... Now he is amazing with everyone!

They are probably not going to be auto-take, but I think the Terracotta Warriors are going to be auto-include in your bag.

• Like 2

The damage absorbing can only be done on Minions and Enforcers though. Still nice but not as OP as one might imagine. The upgradeswapping I'd imagine you'd see the best use out of with Limited master upgrades swapping (I'm having Huggy in mind). As for the wonder weasel ever doing anything; non. Maybe Im missing something here but I've never felt like he'd be even a comparable pick to any of the other totems. Maybe, just maybe, I'd swap him in instead of Luna. But the peasants are 2 activations for 2 ss and play too nice with Shenlong and I can't see taking losing the Porter and with that my pushes/protection. It has this weird mix of being not specific enough to elevate play but also not general enough so that the masters with somewhat lacking totems don't really get much use out of him.

I've given up on getting Shang to stay within half a board of Misaki ages ago and all he does is net me card draw. I'd say the upgrade swapping is useful for a select couple of masters.

I am quite interested in using them with Yan Lo, maybe swapping his Chi upgrades for stuff like Misdirection or when I need it, Relinquary. Unless with Following the usual restrictions for attaching upgrades means you can't use it anymore when he's above 3 upgrades... Hrm.

46 minutes ago, Tokapondora said:

The damage absorbing can only be done on Minions and Enforcers though.

I think it'll be pretty good even then, though. Jorogumo require a heavy hitter to take them down without risk that it gets to activate again and eat something to heal, the Warrior can cut off a big spike and make it that much harder. It can also work nicely with Samurai, I think. They'll love being able to survive longer by either ignoring gun or regular damage. Dawn Serpent will also love staying above HtK range long enough to heal.

One of 10T's perks is beefy minions/enforcers with the ability to heal, and I think they'll synergize well with that.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Tokapondora said:

It has this weird mix of being not specific enough to elevate play but also not general enough so that the masters with somewhat lacking totems don't really get much use out of him.

This is exactly my point - if the Kamaitachi is near the target when TC swaps the upgrade, you can draw a card, heal 2 and push target 2". That's pretty useful in my book! You'll still take the Peasants and Soul Porter, but gives an interesting choice for Misaki, Mei, Brewy, Asami and McCabe (who it was alwaY's a legit image choice for anyway). Lynch will probably still take Huggy - although I do someone who thinks Wonder Weasel works with Lynch... I'm not sure I agree.

Kamaitachi and the Terracotta warrior can't keep up with Mei and Misaki who seperate themselves from their crew early, and Brewy doesn't benefit from him unless you feel it's worth spending 9 ss on this "trick". Lucas I guess I can see though that means not bringing the Guild Hounds. And not bringing Guild Houngs hurts. )':

19 hours ago, Tokapondora said:

I'm really not liking this VP-mechanic. Not on Asami's and the TT upgrade, either. Besides the whole you have to be in a pretty bad spot to use it thing (if you can summon more than a Tengu it's not going to save you anyways), it's just feels All gameplay no fluff. In the game as a whole, these terms and concepts are fine, but on models it just sort-of skirts the borders of being too meta.

From here description here it sounds like Asami has had a pretty crappy life and spent a lot of time not getting what she wants.  The oni possessing her manipulates that to grow more powerful.  So I can see how the VP mechanic also works from a fluff perspective.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tokapondora said:

Kamaitachi and the Terracotta warrior can't keep up with Mei and Misaki who seperate themselves from their crew early, and Brewy doesn't benefit from him unless you feel it's worth spending 9 ss on this "trick". Lucas I guess I can see though that means not bringing the Guild Hounds. And not bringing Guild Houngs hurts. )':

Doesn't need to keep up with them. Just any model with an upgrade. They have other uses too. It's not necessarily better than existing totems, bit it's a very workable option.

They talked about it in the schemes and stones podcast.

5 SS, 5's across the board, 7 Cg, Ht 2 

+ to charges, start out with Flicker 5 so they're not exactly great picks besides Asami (Maybe Yan Lo)

Have a couple of triggers on their Melee; Flay, something that lowers flicker for + to damage, something that gives more flicker, stuff like that.

MOD EDIT: Even if you're just transcribing what was said in the podcast, pleas don't post stats verbatim of the models. :) -Rathnard

24 minutes ago, solkan said:

Schemes and Stones podcast, episode 44.3 is on Asami's box including the yokai.

Just finished listening to it.  Really glad I just picked up Obsidian Oni, since I'm never going to hire Yokai.  Kind of surprised the thing even has a soulstone value.  Still sounds like a useful summon, even if it's going to burn through it's Flicker value on triggers pretty quick.

I don't know, I think hiring yokai is one of those "My X SS model destroys your X+2 SS model, I win the trade" or "If you move your expensive enforce near me, I'm going to eat it" deals.

So not something that you're going to do with a three model set, but something you might do with one of them.  And you'd definitely be planning on playing them aggressively if hired.

Edited by solkan
Typo.