Vasilisa, I don't get it...

Velcro

So I picked up my Collodi box last month and I'm gonna have my first Malifaux game this weekend. I'm really having difficulty figuring out what to do with Vasilisa. She just doesn't look that great for her points, especially once you factor in upgrades. She just seems so subpar. Am I missing something? I don't know the game so I'm sure there's so much to her that I can't see, but to me she isn't worth more than 6SS before upgrades.

You're pretty much spot on, Vasilisa is awful for her points, just leave her at home. Some people do silly slingshot tactics with her and stitched or coryphee but the amount of investment needed and how squishy and useless Vasilisa is otherwise completely undermines this tactic's usefulness in my opinion.

Seriously, you'll never need her. Just leave her at home.

Nice Prinny animation.

So Vasilisa is a combat control model that moves very well. She is very useful I found for just being a pain to deal with especially when she when she starts binding. There are just a few issues i have with her. First her damage is bad given that she has to attack you to do her primary roll of binding you. Second is that she has to be in a dangerous spot to do this and is not supper survivable, not saying she is easy to kill but.... she is not as hard as Barbaros to kill but still need to be where he is to get some good use (the problem is the wd count). Finally, she is the same kind of control model as Collodi, this is one thing I dislike with Wyrd they often stick the enforcer/henchmen in the box to be the same sort of model as the master with few exceptions which means that the box really double downs on what it does.

So I have used her and it was even in a Collodi crew to success but much like Collodi I am not conferrable with her and I personally would switch her out for the Widow Weaver if you want more control and puppet synergy or the Mature Nephilim if you want more killing. Also the Widow Weaver can do some summoning and I feel is better at it then Collodi. If you think you are going vs armor nothing beat the Mature Nephilim with Retribution's Eye.

The biggest reason I find to take Vasilisa in a Collodi crew is the upgrades, movement ability and the capability to do a good pincer attack. I found the Obey is not reliable enough to justify her.

I rarely used obey. Mainly just her 0 action. I took Collodi all for games of Califaux and I never changed my list. I went 2-2. One loss was because I made a small error in not knowing  how fast Mei Feng can be on a table with  a lot of impassable terrain. Let's just say she got I think about 10 free attacks.

But my other loss was close and my wins were 7-1 and 6-2. I'm not amazing by any means. But this was my list.

Collodi: Bag of Props, breathe life,  strum the threads.

Vasilisa: a friend to talk to.

Lazarus: retributions eye.

Widow weaver.

4x Marionettes 

Brutal effigy.

I am not a big fan of Vasilisa myself, partially because I have to proxie her as I have the metal collodi stuff but I have done some thinking and tinkering.  She works best when you build, or fold, her into a plan but you have to be planning to maximize some aspect and because of that your plan is based around that aspect.  She is more of an mix job enabler in your list then a beatstick, tank, or strait supporter.  Her problem is that her tricks are all spread out making her not necessarily amazing at any one.

She is fast for a Neverborn henchmen, he has an escape trigger on resolve rather than failure or success, unimpeded, and with her upgrade can ferry.  Her Long Journey can also help her catch a slippery scheme runner thanks to the push.  She is also pretty accurate with her attack and even with the low damage any of her triggers could potentially kill another scheme runner.  Also with the right trigger she could really hinder what they can do.  So she could do good at scheme running, but is 9ss and 11ss with her upgrade.  You could just give her mimic's blessing and that would make her pretty safe, but again that would be 10ss.  That is a lot of points when you could take a pair of terror tots, gupps, or Insidious Madnesses.  Or even just a Silurd.  Neverborn, namely Collodi, is not hurting for Scheme runner options.

She can be support a heavy hitter, but is limited by not having the Mask built into her Obey and being in the cost range of a heavy hitter.  If there were heavier options in the Puppet department though she would have more ground as she could be a delivery system, attack generator, and disabler with her triggers.  But we lack a heavy hitting puppet outside of Collodi *who is less heavy hitting as having an annoying attack* who she cannot use Twist on. If Vasilisa could partner with the duet it might be something but they cannot go all wonder teens action outside of Arcanist.  At the moment the biggest hitter she can partner with is Stitched Together.  So you are spending 9-11ss to support a 6ss model or two.  If Twist had a wider range it could effect I imagine it would also make her more tempting.

She can modify Wp of enemies, but outside of the maskless obey she lacks Wp attacks.  And people who like having enemy's having their Wp modified have the Widow Weaver as an option as well who can do it pretty darn well.  She is not even a cheap henchmen for possible scheme choices that it could favor.

Which I believe is her biggest issue, she is lacking in available options that make her shine and is just kind of expensive.  If she had been 8ss and her upgrade 1ss I imagine people would be more tempted to use her, or if she had some other beefier or better options for what she could support it might draw people to her.

17 minutes ago, EnternalVoid said:

I am not a big fan of Vasilisa myself, partially because I have to proxie her as I have the metal collodi stuff but I have done some thinking and tinkering. 

You might be able to locate her at Gadzooks Gaming. That is where I was able to get mine for a reasonable price.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Omenbringer said:

You might be able to locate her at Gadzooks Gaming. That is where I was able to get mine for a reasonable price.

Might have to look into that at some point... but not likely right now as my gaming budget has already taken the beating known as Gencon purchases for this month.  Thanks for the suggestion.

• 2 weeks later...

From my experience, Vas has won me more games than I can count, playing a pivotal role in scoring maximum points for my schemes. I find her useful in Collodi (obviously) and even summoning Dreamer. 

I think the first thing to realise is that Vas, even though a henchman, is not a centreline model.. She thrives on the outskirts, moving very quickly and dragging models with her, repositioning your models onto a flank or advancing quickly to setup schemes like Leave Your Mark etc. Secondly, I barely play her offensively (and I'll mention why later). Her upgrade and ability to push once a scheme marker is placed within her aura makes her fast but also adds manoeuvrability to other models. Her Obey is great but her (0) is even better!

Why don't I play Vas offensively? Because I run 2 Stitcheds with her, and most of my opponents are more afraid of the Stitcheds than of Vas. Her upgrade, her Obey and her Twist allows her to move Stitcheds up the board fast (countering their slow move)... You also now have 2 Stitcheds that barely need to use their activations for Walk actions.. And once they're in position with Vas, you suddenly have Stitcheds pumping out loads of Gamble Your Life via Vas + their activation AP. It's a very mobile and efficient Stitched Bomb.. 

Again, I don't think there's any problem with Vas. She's not a frontline henchman. She's a fringe manipulator that adds more value to your crew than disrupting your opponent. If that style fits your playstyle, then she's great. If not, and you prefer a henchman that is a beater or disrupts your opponent's crew, then there are other options in Neverborn. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Vasalisa is less of an individual model and more of a proxy activation for any number of other models.  She is quick, has powerful control potential, and is more resilient than it would seem.  11ss is rather expensive at face value, but in my experience (albeit limited, as I'm still pretty new) she does 11ss worth of work.  As I don't have the card in front of me, if I remember correctly, The Long Journey works when any model drops a scheme marker close by.  This essentially gives any model the ability to push Vasilisa for 1 AP.  She can then get closer to puppets she wants to reposistion with A Friend to Talk To or closer to enemies she wants to sew up with her melee triggers.  Don't forget, she is a henchmen, she can use soul stones.  Not having a built in mask on Obey can be fixed by just stoning in the suit.  Use Obey on friendly models, Stitched, Coryphee, Mysterious Emmisary, whatever it is you want to get more actions out of.  Twist may not work on Collodi (with good reason) but it is a 0 to 1 trade for AP, which is honestly huge.  She can count for one and a half additional activations if you use her to puppeteer your own models.  As for her low wounds, she can get armor or defensive from Collodi, provided you take Fated, and Run Away Home can save her from many things.  You can ss the mask on the flip, or simply cheat in a low mask if you think she can survive and escape safely.  When she is not giving your crew additional AP, she can be a slippery and fast scheme runner.  Being able to gain fast from Strum the Threads gives her a 12" scheme placing distance, which isn't fastest in faction, but is also coming from a model that does other things than just that.  Vasalisa is not an auto include for Collodi, and in my opinion, not at all for the crew box, but she is by no means a worthless model.  Try experimenting with the different models she can manipulate and control from the backlines and you might find her to be far more powerful and definately worth 11ss (with the upgrade, because it also is essentially free AP for your puppets).

• 1 year later...
3 hours ago, Pinocchio said:

Just a quick question; when Collodi does his My Will action to make Vasilisa walk, can she drag a model around with her?

A Little Food, A Little Water gets triggered because Vasilla still declares the Action that My Will is causing her to take.  ("Declare Action and Spend AP" is the first step of resolving an Action.)