Reva

Interesting to see that Resurrectionists are the only faction not buzzing about their new Master. Is nobody as excited by Reva as I am? Unstoppable min 3 (4 if you sac a corpse) from up to 22" away? Wound sucking vampire attack? Massive movement/repositioning power? Even her fluff sounds amazing. Her bodyguard is a crazy Exorcist. So cool.

• Like 4

She is a scary monster of a master but in some ways she seems a little counter to the some other resurs. She is not really summoner as she can only call her totem and she does not attack people sideways through harmful conditions or synergies but she is a very strait forward master and her box looks great though they are alive. I would run her with Beyond Death, Litany of the Fallen and Decaying Aura. That gives her regeneration, a trigger so her attack does not get reduced and stops people from using stones to prevent damage. This is almost Leveticus levels of combat death.

• Like 3

Really, you liked her fluff? That's interesting, and I actually mean that. Her fluff sounded trite and cliche to me. Emo goth girl who talks to spirits. Yawn. From the blurb that was on the warstore's website I was very excited to hear more about her, and all I can remember when I read it was, really this is it? There was a tiny nugget in there that did capture my attention in that she seems to inspire loyalty in an unnatural way, but it was almost like a throw away line the way the writer treated it. I really hope that there is more to it in the bigger fluff sections of the book because the master intro was a massive let down to me.

Honestly, not really excited about her at all. She looks ok,... and really that's about all. She does damage. And thats seems to be about it. I mean I'm not knocking a damage dealing master but she doesn't even look to do that the best out of the resser masters. The problem is that the most powerful masters tend to be specialized but AP efficient and flexible. All Reva does is damage. She doesn't summon except her corpse candles (which to be fair could be the missing component as we don't know what their stats are), she doesn't slow, she doesn't paralyze, she has some of the most inefficient special scheme marker generation of all the wave 4 masters, which is also counter productive to doing what she wants, IE having corpses on the board. Please don't think I'm saying she's bad, but basically it looks like all she does is dmg, and the trend of the better masters is either to do that insanely well and do other things (at present she doesn't), or generate movement, damage and scheme markers, or have the flexibility to give your AP to combat monsters. She does none of those things. Honestly just from her base card McMorning looks to do more dmg than her, and has additional flexibility as well.

I'm honestly not seeing the raw power argument here. Really the best thing she has, and I'm not underselling this as I think its great, is the ability to target df or wp. That in the right situations is going to be very good, but other than that, she looks to be a strait forward, boring, middle to lower power curve (that isn't necessarily a bad thing by the way) master. If she has upgrades that help give out ap, or fast, or scheme markers, or control in someway she could certainly be more interesting. Other than that she looks like basically a more fragile McMorning, without his ability to summon off a kill, or his actual board presence, or his ability to inject.

Again to be clear I don't think she's bad at all, but she also doesn't look exciting.

5 minutes ago, Fetid Strumpet said:

Really, you liked her fluff? That's interesting, and I actually mean that. Her fluff sounded trite and cliche to me.

Are you sure it was not Zipps fluff lol.

5 minutes ago, Fetid Strumpet said:

Really, you liked her fluff? That's interesting, and I actually mean that. Her fluff sounded trite and cliche to me. Emo goth girl who talks to spirits. Yawn. From the blurb that was on the warstore's website I was very excited to hear more about her, and all I can remember when I read it was, really this is it? There was a tiny nugget in there that did capture my attention in that she seems to inspire loyalty in an unnatural way, but it was almost like a throw away line the way the writer treated it. I really hope that there is more to it in the bigger fluff sections of the book because the master intro was a massive let down to me.

Honestly, not really excited about her at all. She looks ok,... and really that's about all. She does damage. And thats seems to be about it. I mean I'm not knocking a damage dealing master but she doesn't even look to do that the best out of the resser masters. The problem is that the most powerful masters tend to be specialized but AP efficient and flexible. All Reva does is damage. She doesn't summon except her corpse candles (which to be fair could be the missing component as we don't know what their stats are), she doesn't slow, she doesn't paralyze, she has some of the most inefficient special scheme marker generation of all the wave 4 masters, which is also counter productive to doing what she wants, IE having corpses on the board. Please don't think I'm saying she's bad, but basically it looks like all she does is dmg, and the trend of the better masters is either to do that insanely well and do other things (at present she doesn't), or generate movement, damage and scheme markers, or have the flexibility to give your AP to combat monsters. She does none of those things. Honestly just from her base card McMorning looks to do more dmg than her, and has additional flexibility as well.

I'm honestly not seeing the raw power argument here. Really the best thing she has, and I'm not underselling this as I think its great, is the ability to target df or wp. That in the right situations is going to be very good, but other than that, she looks to be a strait forward, boring, middle to lower power curve (that isn't necessarily a bad thing by the way) master. If she has upgrades that help give out ap, or fast, or scheme markers, or control in someway she could certainly be more interesting. Other than that she looks like basically a more fragile McMorning, without his ability to summon off a kill, or his actual board presence, or his ability to inject.

Again to be clear I don't think she's bad at all, but she also doesn't look exciting.

She does not seem like a "Resur Master" to me, but that is possibly one of her strengths but it also means people will have probably fall into one camp or the other with very little in between.

I will be coming from resurs from Neverborn and I miss combat master and masters that "bend" the rules and she fits one of those, the other masters I use as a resur are Kirai, Molly and very rarely Tara.

• Like 1

I agree that her gameplay doesn't seem very exciting or powerful. The thing that may save her damage is Screaming Death (i.e. not do damage on an attack to charge instead) depending on what restrictions it has.

And what is up with Life Drain? Unless an upgrade puts some triggers on it that ability seems kind of underwhelming, sure it's some damage of a (0) but the missing suit for the TN really hurts that kind of thing.

It will also be interesting to see if any of her crew can help out with corpse generation, e.g. Creative Salvage for corpses or something.

That said I'm still definitely getting her as I like the way she looks. As for her fluff she seems to be one of the few Malifaux masters that isn't an evil bastard/bitch, so that's a bit of curve ball. :P 

She is the Master from wave 4 I am personally most excited to play (in like a year when I have thoroughly forgotten all the testing incarnations).

She will play similarly to Lilith, I think, who is one of my favorites. Jumping around and dealing damage from odd angles can be far more tricky than most people think - or it's just my style.

• Like 5

Right now, she's in my possibilities for GenCon. Parker and Ripples are definite, and I was planning on getting Asami, but I'm considering getting Reva (partly because I'd need to get the *Oni for Asami while Reva looks like she'll work with what I got already). Honestly, I'll probably flit back and forth until GenCon happens and I place the order.

*Considering my Outcasts are for Jack Daw and Hamelin, I'll probably need to get some Outcasts to fill-in Parker's Crew.

16 minutes ago, Bengt said:

That said I'm still definitely getting her as I like the way she looks. As for her fluff she seems to be one of the few Malifaux masters that isn't an evil bastard/bitch, so that's a bit of curve ball. :P 

From my perspective, it feels like theres two strands of Ressers- the murdering/power hungry kind (Seamus/McMourning/Nicodem/Yan Lo) and the poor/lost souls (Molly/Kirai/Tara and at first glance also Reva). Somewhat complicated by the fact Seamus and Molly are kind of entwined with the plots of the Tyrant Gorgon, and Tara is the Herald of the Tyrant Obliteration. Which seems like they (Tyrants) and the The Grave Spirit would be at odds.

Anyway, I think Reva's got a neat angle for a Resurrectionist, and I'm really interested in Vincent St. Clair the rogue Exorcist.

Raspy is stronger. She can do something other than damage, and she starts with her Arc Nodes on the table with additional range because of the range on December's curse. To be fair they only gave us a short description of her upgrades. Maybe there is one that lets her count all corpses within 10" as a scheme marker, which would be in keeping with the new philosophy of get free ap by getting free scheme markers all over the place that many of the wave 4 masters seem to embody. 

I really hope that after this book they revisit the masters that have been out for awhile and expand their options a little more horizontally.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Cinnamon Bear said:

From my perspective, it feels like theres two strands of Ressers- the murdering/power hungry kind (Seamus/McMourning/Nicodem/Yan Lo) and the poor/lost souls (Molly/Kirai/Tara and at first glance also Reva).

Well after the story in Crossroads Molly and Kirai are pretty murdery as well. I mean they play at being vigilantes but disproportionate retribution doesn't even begin to describe it! Tara seems like a typical pragmatical Outcast mercenary that happens to be a ressers because of the vagueries of events. From the short fluff seen so far Reva seems nice and caring.

36 minutes ago, Justin said:

She will play similarly to Lilith, I think, who is one of my favorites. Jumping around and dealing damage from odd angles can be far more tricky than most people think - or it's just my style.

From just her card she doesn't seem very much like Lilith (who has some very powerful control over enemy models, Reva has what? A single push on a non suited trigger?), more like Raspy. 

If Yin successfully casts Gnawing Fear (the :-fate Wp and Ca debuff) on someone then Reva becomes pretty lethal. A Life Drain and a couple of Ethereal Reapings should be able to handle most enemies when they have :-fateWp flips.

She looks like a lot of fun, not McMourning level of fun but close. :lol:

• Like 2

really, you are getting a levi equivalent and not interested?

can get min damage 4 (which is levis max damage) from 18" away (6" past levi) that litany of the fallen upgrade says cannot be reduced by what it says there? thats better than pre-cuddle levi ranged damage as you can get above his max from even further away (which means you are far more protected so dont need to die and return) and even choose df or wp, also says you can start with a corpse candle on the enemy side of the board so dont even have to get a target there

this is a combat master for ressers

• Like 5

5 minutes ago, Cinnamon Bear said:

Yeah, I guess everyone is a murderer, but I was drawing a distinction between maybe "helping" those who are already dead (like Crooligans) vs. going out and making corpses out of the living for their own ends.

Kirai and Molly were helping a lot of living women when they shut down what was essentially a sex slavery ring.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, katadder said:

really, you are getting a levi equivalent and not interested?

can get min damage 4 (which is levis max damage) from 18" away (6" past levi) that litany of the fallen upgrade says cannot be reduced by what it says there? thats better than pre-cuddle levi ranged damage as you can get above his max from even further away (which means you are far more protected so dont need to die and return)

this is a combat master for ressers

If you have min damage 4 the corpse marker is gone so you can't continue attacking through it... I also think people are very optimistic of her range and always seems to assume that there will be corpse markers in perfect spots. Now we don't know that stats of Corpse Candles but I somehow doubt they'll be Skeeters. I think a more realistic range is 12" as she can drop a Candle 8" away at the start of her activation. As for the rest of the Levi comparison, he ignores more defences than reduction, he also has a halve your wounds trigger.

well ok min damage 3 is still a moderate damage from levi (which is the average I get from levi) with a possible 5 and more if you kill stuff to have corpse markers to remove.

also as a levi player I have rarely used the half your wounds trigger as levis best targets even pre-cuddle were low level things to get aboms out of.

also as the game goes on you will have more options for where to attack from. 

i honestly think this will be levi levels of damage to the ressurs