Enforcer Brawl: Reign of Filth

Golden Apple

I'm a new player, and after being harrangued, harrased, chided, bribed, and cajoled into attending GenCon I'm seriously considering my first tournament being the Sunday Enforcer Brawl. Seems simple enough, and it would be a chance to interact with the community beyond my local FLGS and our nascent little group.

So I come to open the floor to the wisdom of all: what's the nastiest filth we can slap on the table? Mind you, the sole objective is by no means to win, but I have to assume that the table will be MAXIMUM FILTH: FILTH ON FILTH, and I want to be able to take a few swings, at least.

I'll open with a few thoughts:

Strongarm Suit + Oathkeeper= Leaping, crushing, shutting down defensive tech and sniping/rocketpunching weak or unhurt models, farming those sweet sweet VPs.

Theodore + On Dreaming Wings/Retribution's Eye= Flying Bear or Armor Ignoring DF/WP trigger shutdown Bear?

Bishop + Oathkeeper= Seems fantastically versatile, with the option for one epic NO SURVIVORS double flury turn. Also I'd probably paint him as Lobo.

Howard Langston + Imbued Energies = Decapitate against four card hands, so spice!

Izamu + Unnerving Aura = Hard-bodied, a self heal, and an aura that has the potential to swipe some easy hurt-em-first VPs

Teach me your ways!

Bear in mind with an Enforcer Brawl, you get bonus points when you score points vs a model with a higher cost than yourself. You also only give away points when you get hit while unharmed or when you die.

My solution? Raphael LaCroix with Dirty Cheater. As soon as you activate and go reckless, you are no longer going to give away any points unless you die, which requires multiple hits due to hard to kill, and since you're going to be one of the cheapest models, it's a less optimal idea for opponents to attack you over anyone else. Then you just run around as an opportunist - grab kills when they present themselves and mostly focus on getting two points a pop per hit on an unharmed enemy model.

You've identified some of the other really nasty ones, but I'd like to add that at a local enforcer brawl, the winner ended up being a player who took Yin and sat in soft cover the entire game. Very difficult to deal with and they ended up just stealing points opportunistically and importantly not dying. I scored a ton of points that game, but also lost a ton due to being targeted a lot (scoring 8 points first turn will do that). Worth a thought.

18 minutes ago, Dogmantra said:

I was wondering if it was worth trying Lazarus, as lobbing bombs all over the damned place seemed like a good time, but as soon as he's engaged he becomes much less viable, so I scrapped (Hah!) that idea. That said, I keep eyeing his Armor +2 and Self Repair... and who knows what kind of mischief I can get up to with his Assimilate!

Good insight on Raphael LaCroix, I won't be playing him but it's good to keep an eye out for.

I like Doppelganger with Useless Duplications. Everyone will be bringing heavy hitters whose attacks you can copy. She's 7SS so your opponents will rarely get 3 points from her. You can cheat the initiative low to make sure her manipulative is always valid. Low cards have value because you can discard them to give your attacker a negative flip to melee attacks. 

Mimic's Blessing is also a valid upgrade for defense. If Doppy does bite it there's some hand shaping you get to do.

• Like 2

21 hours ago, Viagrus said:

I like Doppelganger with Useless Duplications. Everyone will be bringing heavy hitters whose attacks you can copy. She's 7SS so your opponents will rarely get 3 points from her. You can cheat the initiative low to make sure her manipulative is always valid. Low cards have value because you can discard them to give your attacker a negative flip to melee attacks.

Mimic's Blessing is also a valid upgrade for defense. If Doppy does bite it there's some hand shaping you get to do.

Doppelganger is a particularly wicked, tricksy choice. Very Neverborn. Hadn't even considered it, but you bring up some nasty points. I could see her having a rough go against anything armored, but one can't have it all.

Any other less than 10ss enforcers who could roll with the big dogs?

13 hours ago, santaclaws01 said:

You reactive at an initiative of -1, so after everyone has activated. That being said, Lone Swordsman with Recalled Training is very strong.

Thanks for the answer. It seems like coming in below 10 ss will be important for maximizing VPs, along with not dying. Now who is best at both of these...

5 hours ago, Golden Apple said:

Thanks for the answer. It seems like coming in below 10 ss will be important for maximizing VPs, along with not dying. Now who is best at both of these...

Not necessarily. While it's better to stay low yes, you also want to take into account how hard your model can hit. Lone Swordsman is able to deal moderate damage, but what makes him so good is his ability to ignore almost every defensive ability or even ignore :-fate, which is basically a better flay because you have less risk of flipping the BJ. It also depends on how many people are in the game. Yin for example is markedly better in a 4 player game than an 8 player game.

• 3 weeks later...

I am returned from the field of combat: this is what I have survived to tell you!

I played a Doppelganger with Mimic's Blessing. I was unable to harm any opponents all game long. Which was a shame, because I didn't die once before time was called. Manipulative and Mimic's Blessing are a hell of a thing. It didn’t help that my fate deck seems to consist entirely of fours and fives... regardless. I took a disengaging strike just to leave a game long ineffective slap fight between myself and the Nothing Beast just to walk to the center of the board and declare myself king/queen of the mountain. (Doppelgangers...)

It seems like the most valuable ability on the table was to be able to hurt your opponents during their own activations. We had a Nothing Beast on our table that couldn't pull of a hit on my Doppelgangster during its own turn, but on two separate occasions the same fresh Teddy activated and the Nothing beast KO'd the bear. On it's own activation. Twice.

On the other side of the table was a Convict Gunslinger with a new upgrade that I can't remember the name of. Basically it seemed to give a defense trigger to return fire, and the return fire could declare triggers. This, and hot cards, led to the Convict Gunslinger blasting any that dared attack him twice... on their turn... per attack.

Bonkers.

I went to check in with a friend on another table, who was going with a flying Teddy. He got a few kills, and a few deaths. Seems that his freshly dead opponents would spawn right near him and try and get their pound of flesh. A gremlin I'm not familiar with who blows up for 4 damage when it dies ran the table. Show up, hurt stuff, blow up, stuff dies. Points, points, points...

I probably would have had a more interesting time with my Strong Arm Suit, but as I haven't settled on a paint scheme for my Friekorps, I didn't have it painted.

There's always next time.

Cheers.

• Like 2

• 11 months later...