Malipho'enix Ophelia vs. Sonnia Criid

thecapopriest

P7080938_zpsq0zjjekd.jpg

This is a 50 soulstone game of Malifaux played at Tempe Comics as part of the Malipho'enix group.

This was Gremlins vs. Guild Gaining Grounds 2016.

Deployment: Standard

Strategy: Extraction

Schemes: Convict Labor, Leave Your Mark, Show of Force, Set Up, and Public Demonstration.

Gremlin List: Ophelia Lacroix, 3 Young Lacroix, Lenny with I'll Love it and Pet it, Fingers with Stilts, 3 Lightning Bugs, and a Pigapult. Soulstone cache is 3.

With this list I looked at the scheme Public Demonstration and felt that running the Pigapult with the 3 Lightning Bugs would score me an easy 3 points right out the gate, and also I have yet to get a single game in with the Pigapult even though it was one of the first models I bought. 

Normally I would not have bothered to put the upgrades that I did on Fingers and Lenny , but due to the scheme Show of Force I felt it was important to have the ability to prevent the other crew from scoring while also having the option to take that scheme if the opportunity presented itself.

Why I took the 3 Lightning Bugs instead of a Slop Hauler or 2 instead was because I really wanted that 2 inch reach to tie up as many of his models as possible after the Pigapult throw.

The main reason I chose Ophelia in this list was actually more for the benefit of her totem models, the Young Lacroix, to be a cheap model that is also dangerous with Lenny and gives some activation control.

Guild List: Sonnia Criid with Cherufe's Imprint and Reincarnation, Peacekeeper, Francisco Ortega, Santiago Ortega, Witchling Stalker, Guild Austringer, and Death Marshal. Soul Stone cache is 3.

I just did a tally of the Guild points and it seems that it was 5 points under, which is huge because I ended up taking the scheme Show of Force because he didn't think he could fit in any upgrades.

Guild Schemes: Leave Your Mark and Public Demonstration.

Gremlin Schemes: Show of Force and Public Demonstration.

Gremlins win deployment flip and has the Guild deploy first and choose sides.

From left to right: Death Marshal (out of frame), Austringer, Francisco, Sonnia, Santiago, and the Peacekeeper.

P7080941_zpsmdexm1lw.jpg

Gremlins left to right: Lightning Bug and Pigapult (obscured by terrain), 2 Lightning Bugs, 2 Young Lacroix, Lenny, Ophelia, Young Lacroix, and Fingers.

P7080943_zpsywfzgeaz.jpg

Gremlins left to right: Fingers, Young Lacroix, Lenny, Ophelia, 2 Young Lacroix, 2 Lightning Bugs, Pigapult, and a Lightning Bug.

P7080945_zpslb5mjriy.jpg

Guild left to right: Peacekeeper, Santiago, Sonnia, Francisco, Witchling Stalker, Austringer, and Death Marshal.

P7080947_zpskl9zzepg.jpg

Gremlins win initiative flip and have Guild go first.

Peacekeeper double walks forward.

P7080950_zps6bdzd9jv.jpg

Young Lacroix does Here You Go! to attach the Hooch Igniter upgrade to Ophelia then walks forward.

P7080952_zpsvbugtonm.jpg

Francisco did El Mayor to Sonnia to give her +2 to Willpower and Defense. He then double walked forward.

P7080954_zpsacr5scjk.jpg

Young Lacroix does Here You Go! to attach the My Threatenin' Gun upgrade to Ophelia then walks forward.

P7080956_zpslfxzk2ea.jpg

Death Marshal double walks.

P7080957_zps4xctuvks.jpg

Young Lacroix does Here You Go! to attach the Jug Rocket upgrade to Ophelia then walks forward.

P7080960_zpsg2xto4lo.jpg

Austringer double walks.

P7080962_zpsetzpjl0j.jpg

Fingers double walked forward.

P7080964_zps0asrjmgo.jpg

Witchling Stalker double walked forward.

Lenny did Whacked Piglet against the Pigapult, cheating with a 7 of tomes to get the target number and the trigger Huh, it survived to summon a Piglet, which suffered 4 damage from the damage flip. The Pigapult suffered 1 damage due to weak damage. Lenny then did Toss on Ophelia to push her 8 inches from Lenny.

P7080965_zpskxpxqgdt.jpg

Sonnia activates and does her 0 action Confiscated Lore to gain +2 Defense until the end of the turn. She then double walked forward and used Flame Wall in front of Ophelia.

Slow Summoned Piglet activates and does nothing.

P7080968_zpsyjehuf2i.jpg

Santiago activates and double walks forward near the Peacekeeper.

Guild finished all of their activations.

P7080970_zpswtmpckaw.jpg

Pigapult activated and went Reckless. It then did Launch'n 3 times on each of the Lightning Bugs, placing them within 24" but giving them Paralyzed.

P7080973_zps2td18ohz.jpg

Ophelia activated and did her 0 action Ooo, a Girl! to push Lenny into base contact. At this point I nearly made a really big mistake and thought that Hooch Igniter's 0 action Move and Burn! would work on my Lightning Bugs so I walked to the right of the flame wall but luckily I caught that it only works on Kin models and my opponent was gracious enough to let me take my walk back.

So instead Ophelia walked to the left of the Flame Wall making sure to stay just outside of 1" of it. She then shot at the Witchling Stalker twice with the Rough Riders action, getting Black Joker on damage on the first shot and missing with my second.

All 3 Lightning Bugs activate getting rid of the paralyzed condition and nothing else.

End of turn 1 Gremlins score 3 points on Public Demonstration.

P7080975_zpspnenpak7.jpg

Guild wins initiative on turn 2.

Peacekeeper did Flurry by discarding a card and making 3 attacks on one of my Lightning Bugs. The first attack missed, the second did 4 damage with weak, and the last attack killed the Lightning Bug with moderate damage of 5.

P7080977_zpsznvtnc0g.jpg

Ophelia did her 0 action Ooo, a Girl! and pushed Lenny into base contact. She then shot at Sonnia 3 times ignoring the Lightning Bug for randomization. I missed Sonnia twice and hit her once doing 6 damage from moderate due to the Thinkin' Luck trigger.

P7080980_zpshdd2aviw.jpg

Sonnia activated and attacked the Lightning Bug 3 times, hitting twice and missing once but only got weak damage each time dealing 4 damage total. Lightning Bug has 2 health left. She also healed 2 points of damage due to her built in trigger Absorb Magic.

Sonnia then did her 0 action Confiscated Lore to gain +2 defense.

P7080982_zpsgd7facgf.jpg

Fingers went Reckless and double walked forward and then did Take a Swig on the Lightning Bug which healed 2 damage, leaving it with 4 health left.

P7080983_zpsmfegppjp.jpg

Santiago walked to the Lightning Bug and attacked and missed.

P7080986_zpsb92adlf9.jpg

The Lightning Bug went Reckless then attacked the Peace Keeper but failed the horror duel due to no cards in my hand to cheat.

P7080987_zpsvsck3ihg.jpg

Francisco activated and did El Mayor to Sonnia. He then did Enfrentate Mi! on the Lightning Bug and pushed Sonnia out of Engagement. He then attacked the Lightning Bug but missed.

P7080990_zps9ice3wm5.jpg

Young Lacroix walked forward and then shot at Francisco ignoring randomizing into the Lightning Bug due to Ophelia's Shoot High, Boys aura and getting the Ram for the Dumb Luck trigger due to Lenny. The attack hit and did 2 damage and 1 damage to the Young Lacroix.

P7080992_zpsy3hznxuu.jpg

Austringer shot at Fingers twice, missing once but hitting and dealing 3 points of damage. Fingers used a soul stone to reduce the damge by 2 so he took 1 damage and has 7 health left.

P7080994_zpsfnpkjx9h.jpg

Young Lacroix walked forward and then shot at Francisco ignoring randomizing into the Lightning Bug due to Ophelia's Shoot High, Boys aura and getting the Ram for the Dumb Luck trigger due to Lenny. The attack hit and did 2 damage and 1 damage to the Young Lacroix.

P7080996_zpsvhyjmn0i.jpg

Witchling Stalker walked forward and shot Fingers which did 2 damage and gave Fingers Burning +1. Fingers has 5 health left.

Young Lacroix double walked behind the crates.

P7080997_zpswi8vs7rn.jpg

Death Marshal walked and then shot at Fingers, but Fingers got the Red Joker on his defense flip and did his trigger Loudest Squeel to reposition.

P7080999_zpsbcbgik07.jpg

Lenny activated and shot at Francisco with Whacked Piglet, missing both times.

P7081001_zpsgr56c4kp.jpg

Lightning Bug went Reckless and attacked Francisco twice killing him, but also getting the trigger The Green Wrath which forces everyone in a 3" pulse, excluding the model that did the attack, a target number 11 defense duel or suffer 2 damage. Sonia passed the test by cheating and Fingers failed it, which I then soul stone away 1 point of damage leaving him with 4 health. 

Lastly the Lightning Bug walked forward to engage Sonnia.

P7081004_zpstovb9lej.jpg

Pigapult went Reckless and did Bacon Load. It then shot the Witchling Stalker 3 times and only hitting once for 4 damage due to moderate damage. The Witchling Stalker got his trigger Drawn to Pain to push 4" towards the Pigapult.

P7081005_zpsjekd8vh9.jpg

End of turn 2 we both score on Extraction, Guild had the Witchling Stalker and the Peacekeeper in and I had the Lightning Bug, Fingers, Lenny, and Ophelia allowing me to move the marker 3" in any direction. Gremlins also scored 1 from Show of Force.

Gremlins 5 to Guild 1.

P7081008_zpsnpw24hyx.jpg

Turn 3 Guild wins initiative.

Death Marshal charged Ophelia using the action Pine Box. First attack Ophelia got Black Joker for defense and was buried by the Death Marshal.

P7081009_zpsekn1effw.jpg

Fingers goes Reckless and does Take a Swig on the Lightning Bug once and himself twice. The Lightning Bug got severe to heal all the damage and Fingers got severe and moderate to heal 5 damage leaving him with 2 damage and 7 health left.

Peacekeeper did flurry on the Lightning Bug and killed it outright with the first attack due to moderate damage and the trigger critical strike doing 6 damage.

P7081012_zpscbickdyv.jpg

Female Young Lacroix shot at the Witchling Stalker hitting with the Dumb Luck trigger and doing moderate damage of 6, killing both herself and the Witchling Stalker. Witchling Stalker did Explosive Demise and did 1 point of damage to Fingers.

P7081013_zpstaqvyslf.jpg

Sonnia attacked the Lightning Bug 3 times hitting him twice and killing him with moderate damage each time.

Sonnia then does her 0 action Confiscated Lore discarding 2 cards and gaining +2 Defense.

P7081015_zpsokv3xxix.jpg

Lenny attacked the Death Marshal 2 times, missing once and hitting once doing weak damage of 3, leaving the Death Marshal with 3 health left.

P7081017_zpsh312mara.jpg

Santiago shot at Fingers but missed and Fingers got the Loudest Squeel trigger and pushed out of range. Santiago then walked forward.

Young Lacroix shot into the Engagement with Lenny and the Death Marshal but randomized into Lenny both times. The first shot I cheated to miss, the second shot hit and was at a single negative due to Hard to Wound, but hit double Severe doing 4 damage to Lenny. It's a really good thing that the Young Lacroix do not have to declare triggers, otherwise Lenny would have taken 8 damage and the Young Lacroix would have died.

P7081020_zpsju5vbxdg.jpg

Austringer Focused and shot the Young Lacroix behind the crates, killing him outright with severe damage.

P7081021_zpsuv5nnrct.jpg

Pigapult went Reckless and ran a mighty 6" forward!

End of turn 3.

Gremlins score 1 for Extraction and 1 for Show of Force.

Gremlins 7 vs. Guild 1

P7081023_zpsijvcp64x.jpg

Turn 4 Gremlins win initiative.

Lenny attacks the Death Marshal hitting and killing him, releasing Ophelia and unburied in base contact. Lenny then walked forward.

P7081026_zpsjytbkxg8.jpg

Sonnia did her 0 action Confiscated Lore to gain +2 to her cast. She then walked and shot Lenny twice, killing Lenny and doing 2 points of damage to Ophelia and killing the Young Lacroix.

P7081027_zpshvcjsmfo.jpg

Fingers went Reckless and walked to Ophelia and healed her to full and healed 2 damage to have 7 health left.

P7081032_zpsjzfyd6mn.jpg

Santiago activated and walked forward then shot at Ophelia but missed.

Ophelia activated and did her 0 action With My Eyes Closed! to gain a positive twist to her shoot attack actions, but the opposing player gets to choose the target of the attack as long as it is a legal enemy model. Santiago was the only one in range so she shot him 3 times doing a total of 8 damage, from 2 moderate damage and 1 weak, no Thinkin' Luck trigger.

P7081033_zpszvkh9p4r.jpg

Peacekeeper double walked. 

Pigapult walked and shot at The Peacekeeper doing 1 damage due to armor reduction.

Austringer double walks.

End of turn 4 Gremlins score 1 for Extraction and 1 for Show of Force. Guild scored 1 for Extraction and got to move the marker for having more models within 6" of the marker.

Gremlins 9 vs. Guild 2

P7081035_zpsikpp2ztb.jpg

Turn 5 Gremlins win initiative.

Ophelia does her 0 action With My Eyes Closed! and the Guild player chooses the Peacekeeper to be attacked. He flips very low for his defense but decided not to cheat because it would still be a negative twist due to Hard to Wound, except I cheat in the 13 of rams to get the Thinkin' Luck trigger and be at a straight flip. For the damage flip I cheated in the Red Joker to do 12 damage which reduced by his Armor 2 was still 10 damage and enough to kill him. On the 2 other attacks she missed Santiago with both attacks.

Sonnia activated and did Confiscated Lore to gain +2 cast. She then shot Fingers twice, first shot got black joker on the damage flip. The second attack got the red joker on damage and killed Fingers outright and did 3 damage to Ophelia. Her last action shot Ophelia doing moderate damage of 3 which Ophelia dropped all 3 upgrades on her to drop to 0.

I am wondering now though that I am relooking at the rules, can you drop more then 1 upgrade per attack? The wording for Plink is "When this model suffers damage, before making any prevention flips, this model may discard one Upgrade attached to it to reduce the damage by 1." Reading that makes me think it is capped out at one upgrade per damage.

P7081037_zpsiyxgepz6.jpg

Pigapult walks forward and shoots at Santiago and missed.

Santiago shoots at Ophelia twice but missed each time.

P7081039_zpsotwifsiq.jpg

Austringer double walks.

End of turn 5 Guild earns 1 point for Extraction and 1 for Public Demonstration from the Austringer.

Gremlins: Extraction 3, Public Demonstration 3, Show of Force 3.

Guild: Extraction 3, Public Demonstration 1, Leave Your Mark 0.

End of game Gremlins 9 to Guild 4.

Overall I was very happy with how the Pigapult worked out in this game by easily scoring my first 3 points it really set the momentum for the game. Not only that but having the Lightning Bugs being able to tie up a crew like that worked out quite nicely. Next time I think I would trade out one of the Lightning Bugs for a Slop Hauler and see how that works out.

Other than that I liked how this crew played but I am not entirely sold on Ophelia herself. I just think I like Wong more and the different benefits he brings to the table, most notably Glowy. I will say however that I love the Young Lacroix totems and I could see being tempted to take her over Wong just because of the Young Lacroix.

Overall it was a good game and looking forward to trying out the Pigapult again.

Like always I greatly appreciate any feedback and pointing out our rule errors.

• Like 1