Useless Duplications - GenCon-a-like, Northampton, Sat 6 August 2016

PanzerHarris

For our next trick...

The next event at Warzone Workshop will be running on Saturday 6th August. There's a bit of a twist this time - on the same day as the US Masters at GenCon, we'll be playing using the same basic rules pack, strategies and scheme pools as they do! Massive thanks to Joe from Cheated Fates Radio for providing the details. If you've ever wanted to see how you'd approach a devious set-up from a Masters event, or even just where you'd finish if the events were combined, this is the one for you.

The basic details are identical on both sides of the pond. 3 rounds at 50SS, with 2 hour round times giving you plenty of time to get your games completed.

Our painting competition will also do something a little different, morphing into the Golden Nephilim. Players enter one Malifaux model. You can do what you like with that model in terms of conversions, scenic bases, plinths or whatever else enters your mind. But that one model that you go to town on will be your entry, and players will vote on that. It doesn't have to be a model that you'll be using on the day though.

We can promise the usual laid-back atmosphere along with our traditionally generous prize pools. As a minimum the following will be on offer;

1st, 2nd and 3rd place gaming
1st, 2nd and 3rd place painting
Best Sports
Best Loser, aka the Dreaded Wooden Spoon...

A prize pack has arrived from Wyrd and the contents duly raffled off. You'll only be eligible for the raffle if you hit the painting targets - of your starting crew, at least half of the models by number must be painted (3 colours and based), in 2 games out of 3. Note that it's a target - painting isn't required but it is strongly encouraged, and it's a pretty easy target to meet.

24 tickets are on offer at £12.50 each. This doesn't include lunch but being in the middle of a busy town, there are enough options within 2 minutes' walk to satisfy any palette. It does however include all the tea and coffee you can drink, along with all the doughnuts I can cram in my car boot on the way in. 

There may be expansion following the initial 24 tickets - we're targeting room for 30 players but there needs to be some work carried out (Warzone's Own with sledgehammers - terrifying prospect right there) first. The one thing I don't want to do is oversell and we wind up with no-one able to get around the tables if we can't get the work done in time.

As the event is in a well stocked shop, if there's anything you want ordered in for the day we will happily oblige!

The rules pack is available here; https://www.dropbox.com/s/goiy7ui83c6yp9k/Useless Duplications.pdf?dl=0 

Ticket link is here; http://warzoneworkshop.co.uk/Events/Useless-Duplications

Any questions, please feel free to ask!

FAQs

How will the painting competition be run?

Anyone wishing to enter the painting competition can set out their model at lunchtime for the player vote. Players will only get their attendee scrip counter once I get their painting vote, so best make sure you've set up before you disappear to get your food!

Note that entrants will not be able to put their name next to their crews as the competition is anonymous.

What are your rules on proxies?

My usual rules - no using a Malifaux model as another Malifaux model without doing conversion work. James Doxey's magnificent brass / large steam arachnids are a great example of what is acceptable (and an example I use with permission!), as they've been reposed and rebased. Sticking a Canine Remains on the table and saying it's a Guild Hound is not acceptable.

Avatars are fully legal proxies for any Emissary, as per Wyrd.

It is acceptable to use non-Wyrd miniatures as long as it's clear what they are - for example, I've been known to use a Wild West Exodus Native American model as the Outcast Big Jake.

If in doubt, it's the player's responsibility to ask the TO (me) ahead of time to clear up any potential issues.

Will you be publishing the schemes and strategies in advance?

This will be as per the GenCon event, so strategies will be released early with the scheme pools on the day.

Will we have to use the latest Wyrd FAQ that amended Leveticus and the Malifaux Rats?

Yes. Given the gravity of the update I'll be making sure I have copies to hand just in case newer players aren't aware of the changes, but we will be running the FAQ in its entirety.

What are the strategies and deployments then?

Round 1 - Reckoning, Flank Deployment

Round 2 - Headhunter, Standard Deployment

Round 3 - Extraction, Close Deployment

Entrants 

1. Haydn Smith
2. Steve Wilson
3. Callum Edens
4. Rich Bream
5. Tobias Dracup
6. AJ Barr
7. Karl McConnell
8. Craig Woods
9. Graeme Nicholls
10. Westlee Barr
11. Aron Britchford
12. Paul Dean
13. Anthony Fenton
14. Anthony Fenton +1
15. Richard Keeling
16. Phillip Thowney
17. Marcus Rose
18. Ross Baker
19. Rick Paltridge
20. Andy Gray
21. Nick Pratt
22. George Hollingdale
23. Jamie Varney
24. Stuart Snares
25. Lee Battrick
26. Captain Troy Tempest

• Like 1

21 hours ago, PanzerHarris said:

Ticket link is now live. Thanks for all the interest - I'll get the pack sorted out as quickly as I can.

I wonder if the increased interest is due to a sudden lack of the Henry and Ledgerwood-shaped obstacles to the podium places... :) 

I would point out that I have never won one of your events...

Entrants list updated. 8 down already - much appreciated!

Don't forget, we're happy to order stuff in for people, and the first batch of wave 3 releases will have hit the week before the event.

FAQ updated - we will be using the new Wyrd FAQ (sorry Leve / rat people, but this one isn't even a discussion...).

• 2 weeks later...