Mortarion's Malifaux models

Mortarion

It has been a while since I posted anything here. Most of my hobby time for the past month or so has gone into building a custom cake decoration for a friend's wedding. But now that is done, and I can get back to Malifaux. So here are some Wardens:

lDUJohr.jpg

8Ha7A6E.jpg
yD1RjfG.jpg

Most robots I've seen for Malifaux are painted in metal colour, but I think that can end up looking quite boring. So I wanted them in the same blue colour I use for my other guardsman models. I tried out some gold on the trimming to get that oldschool police feeling. At first I was worried it might be too much, but when looking at the finished models I'm quite happy with the result. That is about how I would picture a late nineteenth century steampunk police robot!

• Like 8

• 3 weeks later...

New models! This time two hunters.
TWFvwK3.jpg
6zyOwlG.jpg

I wanted to use the same colour scheme as on my Wardens, but was a bit sceptical at first. Hunters are used to stalk their prey and blue with shining gold detailjs might not be the stealthiest colour sceme possible. But then I figured that the Guild must have some Hunters for use in urban environment, where stealth is less about blending into the background and where it might even be point of being visible, since it shows potential lawbreakers what awaits them if they try anything. 

And I like the result.

BtbHhMX.jpg
X97f1lh.jpg

The second Hunter. I wanted to tell a story with the base. As you might see there is blood on its tail. And it is following a trail of blood drops. I figured it managed to wound its prey in combat, but the prey somehow managed to escape. And now it stalks the escapee.

• Like 8

Some new models done. From constructed cats to living dogs. Guild hounds!

G3pekl3.jpg

WDNIVGk.jpg
01kyDcm.jpg

I went for a quite realistic looking colour scheme, with the exception of the eyes, which I painted yellow. Realistic dog eyes looks quite boring in this scale and the background talks about mutations amongst the hounds, so...

• Like 6

• 2 months later...

So, it's been a while since I posted anything here. It has been a combination of real life stuff that needed to be done, painting things for other games and me having the flu. But now I am back!

Two new models completed - Exorcists!
ohUHFnl.jpg
31pclhc.jpg

I really like these models. They might not be super hot in terms of rules, but they look so cool. Originaly I planned to paint magical/holy symbols on their coats, but in the end I decided against it as they looked rather cool in just black leather coats.

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

Another model done. A doppelganger!

While this may not actually be a Guild model, Lucius insists that she is. And she does look just like that important Guild officer. Oh, well... I guess she is a Guild model.

pcoI8gq.jpg
diywnf7.jpg

I went for a fairly standard colour scheme, but made the towel blue to fit in better with the rest of the army.

• Like 3

• 5 weeks later...

Lots of new models! First of is Sonnia Criid. She's been standing half finished on my painting table for a while, but now I have finally finished her.

g4YU5eT.jpg
I like the design/sculpt of this model. With the painting i used the same colour scheme as my Witchling handler. I think that the red jacket adds a little bit more life to the model than a brown leather one.

zPaqSau.jpg
And her buddy Hopkins! The basic design of the model is really cool but the large spirit trap thing that should be hanging between his legs just looks weird. He would hardly be able to move with it hanging there. Fortunately, it is easy to remove. The painting was again the same as Sonnia and the Handler. They are all witch hunters after all...

8pWT2I0.jpg
And finally Ryle. I wanted to paint his claw like I have painted my constructs, but in retrospect I probably should have painted his trousers some other colour. He could use some more colour. But he still looks OK I think.

• Like 5

• 4 weeks later...

Some new models done!

GiXFuHa.jpg
First out is The Purifying flame. This one has actually been painted for a while. I've just not gotten around to taking photos of it.

b3ihPCb.jpg
And then the Governor's proxy. I did a small conversion with his hand. The feather pen is supposed to balance on the tip but it is one of those designs that may work in a computer, but will break immediately in real life. On the painted picture it seems to float above his hand, held up by some kind of magical energy. So I decided to add some flames around the pen. I think it got quite close to the idea behind the model while still being a model that doesn't break as soon as someone looks at it. 

Nbxeqh4.jpg
And finally a Guardian. It will be interesting to try one out after the errata buff. I removed the strange symbol from the shield and sculpted a Guild ram skull instead.

• Like 9

• 1 month later...

Some new models done. First out, two Death marshal recruiters.

EpX9sG5.jpg
"The Guild wants YOU to enlist today!"
The design of this model is so cool.

lnc9y6t.jpg
This one I don't like as much. I would have liked to have a flaming skull option for it. I tried painting the skin very pale and almost dried up, but alas, it is no skull...

8MQus7P.jpg
Some Clockwork traps. The pile of sand that is part of the models' bases provided some challenge to incorporate into my cobblestone basing, but I think it worked out OK.

yneLfbb.jpg
And finally two flame wall markers for Sonnia. One day I would like to actually sculpt some flame pillars, but until then, this will do.

• Like 9

• 1 month later...

And finally I have some new models ready. First up, Field reporters:

rd9xnrl.jpg
jQnBSax.jpg
eJ13J6B.jpg
Srp63RY.jpg

Cool models. The fact that they are not really part of the Guild forces meant I could experiment a bit more with different colours, but I still kept it fairly close to the rest of my models so that it would look more coherent on the tabletop.

And Phiona Gage:

LIq02F4.jpg

With this one I wanted really down-to-Earth colours. A plain workers outfit. 

• Like 3

Yeah, I'm used to painting GW faces, so the more correctly scaled Wyrd faces are tough. However, in my defense I think they do look better in reality. Magnifying their faces to about three times as large as in reality doesn't really do them any favours. :)

But faces are something I need to work on.

• Mortarion changed the title to Mortarion's Malifaux models

It's been a while since I posted anything. This is pratly because I have been bad at taking pictures of my stuff. We have played a growth league and I have started a new crew - Collodi!

g7bb57M.jpg
The Puppet master himself.

y12jhct.jpg
His friend, which is a cool model but I think is a little too frail in comparison to it's cost in game.

yQLjSnU.jpg
J5pNmZ0.jpg
Marionettes. Two more still waiting to be painted.

1i6aK23.jpg
KCdA1jK.jpg
98lhSpp.jpg
m3lLXBU.jpg
And some Wicked dolls. I really like the design of theese models.

More images coming soon!

• Like 5

• 1 month later...

Some new Guild models done. First up, the Jury!

GHSMfBd.jpg
8lDtBUf.jpg
Really cool sculpt. The colour scheme is basically the same as form my other models of high rank, so not much to say about the painting.

And a Thalarian queller.

6crECax.jpg
I know that the swirling thing is not supposed to be flames, and I actually think that it was sculpted specifically not to look like flames. But it just fit the rest of my models better if I painted it like flames...

aQO1hd3.jpg
I also painted two Supression markers. Glowing magic circles which drains energy from around them.

What do you think?

• Like 6

• 1 month later...