June 20 - Nellie Cochrane

Lucidicide

Am I the only one that finds the face on the artwork terrifying?  Especially the smile.  As in like a penguin's (or Jack Nicholson's Joker) I'm going to eat your face off kind of terrifying...  The eye's are dead too.

Not sure if that's a good thing or not.

@Tawg's idea of an idealist journalist, blind to the true workings of the Guild is an interesting take, but to me, she scares the crap out of me!  So I'm going to have to go with @Kadeton's the she's evil vote.

Shudder...

Otherwise I quite like it, I don't think she'll be a master for me, as like already posted (more eloquently than me!), I prefer the sword to the pen!  But I do really like that Wyrd has come up with something so unique and different!  The fact that a crew of reporters can take on a crew of Nephilim and win is just awesome!

10 hours ago, Whumbachumba said:

Quite a different look for a master. I like it! Had to do some research on the name. Looks like it is from Elizabeth Cocrhan Seaman/Nellie Bly, a journalist. She apparently lied about being insane so she could study an asylum from the inside. Would be cool to see if that plays into her abilities/upgrades.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nellie_Bly

I immediately thought of Nellie Bly myself. She was good people, and tough as nails. Maybe Nellie Cochrane's "fresh take to the way Guild hires Mercenaries" is that she embeds in other factions. To expose the horrors of the early 20th century mental health system Neverborn/Ressurectionists.

I just really like the idea of her bouncing around the heavyweight murdermonsters of Malifaux, getting interviews. It sounds like she'll be less about exposing the facts and more about the party line, though, which is a bit of a bummer... That said, she promises to add another master to the game that plays a very asymmetrical game, which is very interesting.

Also: I love the model.

• Like 3

33 minutes ago, Golden Apple said:

"Mr. Seamus, how do you respond to the multiple allegations of your lifelong problems with women?"

*Seamus focuses, fires, Nellie cheats Black Joker for damage on herself.*

"...There you have it, folks!"

"Lord Chompy Bits, what do you say to allegations of kidnapping and stalking a small child?"

"Mr Daw, Mr Daw, does your immortality give you a special insight onto how the justice system has changed in the recent years?"

"Ms. Squidpidge, any response to the rumours of your dalliances with a certain Dr. Von Schtook?"

I love the idea of her bouncing around the most dangerous things in Malifaux peppering them with tabloid questions.

• Like 6

18 hours ago, thebarbalag said:

Love her.

18 hours ago, Manic Mouse said:

Also has to be said, the sculpt is absolutely gorgeous IMO.  Excellent work Nathan et al.

Now, what are the chances any of these will be released at GenCon so I can make my traditional ridiculous order?

12 hours ago, sassylady said:

I'm loving what I'm seeing! So much for taking a break from Guild...heck no!!! ?

2dK8OS7.gif

Lol,

But seriously I am happy with this render and the rules as is.  Look forward to trying her out!

• Like 1

16 hours ago, r4st4f4n said:

Yup, I agree on the intention, and the Breaking the Rules Box, but the examples always relate to the player cheating her own flips. IMO, to break the rule and expand "cheating" to an enemy flip, the wording should at least spell out "enemy damage flips" or "all damage flips, as if they were their own", since the possibility to cheat  one's own damage flips against one's own models already exists. Otherwise, implied "friendly or enemy" might be added also to other special instances of cheating too, it's just for better clarity :)

i thought it was clear and then I read this and now I'm confused;)

I think the wording is pretty clear - "Damage flips against this model may not be cheated by other models. This model may cheat damage flips made against it, regardless of -flips or any Jokers." This clearly breaks three rules about when you can cheat, that you only cheat your own flips "This model may...", that you can't cheat -flips, and that you can't cheat Jokers. Why does the wording need to say enemy damage flips to make it clear that when any model makes a damage flip that will cause direct damage to Nellie, she can cheat that? It says "damage flips made against it," enemy or otherwise. I don't believe it gets around the wording of something like Riposte, or Gamble Your Life, but otherwise, it's quite clear.

4 hours ago, thebarbalag said:

If there is a good guy faction in Malifaux, it's probably the Gremlins, but that may just be because, by and large, they're kind of idiots - lucky, clever idiots, but idiots none the less.

Well that's kind of unfair. Each Faction I feels has shades of gray and black, but a few individual heroes have white streaks and they can be found in most of the Factions.

10 minutes ago, SnakeoilSage said:

Well that's kind of unfair. Each Faction I feels has shades of gray and black, but a few individual heroes have white streaks and they can be found in most of the Factions.

Sure, I meant that kind of as a joke, in that the Gremlins aren't really, as a group, evil, just kind of dumb.

The Arcanists as a group have a noble goal, liberty and prosperity for all, but they break legs, and do illegal experiments, and take advantage of the poverty of their workers to get there.

The Ten Thunders are a criminal organization, but are, in many cases, viewed by Three Kingdoms people in Malifaux as freedom fighters and protectors, and, in some case, such as Mei Feng, the people are totally right, but in others, like Misaki, and Shen Long, they are after temporal power, or worse.

The Neverborn as the strange, fractured whole that they are, are attempting to prevent the return to power of the Tyrants, and reclaim their land, which is wholly noble, but they do kidnap and eat children (or turn them into living dolls), manipulate, lie, and outright torture, occasionally for fun (Pandora, I'm looking at you), and have no regard for innocent lives.

The Outcasts are in it for the money, or at least their own selfish (or insane) ends, and while some have a code of honor, some hollow out innocent women to gain immortality, but none are really heroic.

The Ressurectionists, rag-tag band of serial killers and grave robbers that they are, have little respect for what most of society holds sacred, most kill without a thought, or even just to get new toys, though a few do what they can to protect the disadvantaged, they seem to be outliers.

The Guild, as I've said, is an organization with a lot of good to do, and a lot of evil ways to do it, employing a lot of genuine heroes, who are usually to busy to see what's going on over their heads.

Nobody's clean in Malifaux. Everyone is compromised.

• Like 6

8 hours ago, Da Git said:

Am I the only one that finds the face on the artwork terrifying?  Especially the smile.  As in like a penguin's (or Jack Nicholson's Joker) I'm going to eat your face off kind of terrifying...  The eye's are dead too.

Not sure if that's a good thing or not.

I actually agree, love the model and the rules. Will probably be buying her as soon as I can(although since I already own all the Guild Masters currently out that was almost guaranteed).

But yeah that art has a super creepy looking face, not certain exactly what's making her look so creepy either. That smile is certainly a huge bit of it. 

I think faction-wise the Guild is evil, though many of the characters are good and various inner factions are good (generally, most Guild Guard are probably decent folks trying to get by and help their city for example). Lady Justice, Perdita, and Hoffman are definitely good. Sonnia is fairly grey.

I think Nellie will wind up being grey at best or villainous. Her abilities "Revisionist History" and "Creative Reporting" sounds more like a propagandist than a journalist dedicated to the truth.

I still want, and want badly, a moral Guild Guard leader-type. Probably a Henchman rather than a true spellcaster.

Like, Captain Danielle Sterling, formerly just a GUild Guard who was assigned to a mission with Lucius and who he watched act nobly and in defense of the law. So he calls her up to talk about a promotion and ask her a few questions, where he gets absolutely *delighted* to find someone giving all the highly moral answers to terrible situations. He tells her that she's not getting promoted to sergeant, she nods and leaves, then he steps out, grabs the nearest lawyer, and tells them that he's gong to personally promote this one to Captain, because he wants to see how far he can push things until that silver heart tarnishes.

Meanwhile, she's just the nicest, most law-abiding, Dudley Doorightest person ever and when she gets promoted everyone nearly dies of shock.

Because, sometimes, you gotta flip the script.

• Like 5

wait a min..... so I can't even vote for gremlins this last week? it's  a gi'me? it's like being the LAST dude without a partner at the "dance" but there's still one woman left. you do it so neither ones lonely but you didn't even get a choice.... at least let us hold our dignity and give us the option of "no reveal" and gremlins so we can PICK it..... feel like a dirty used dress on the side of a single lane highway after prom night, just dirty:(

14 minutes ago, JudgeDread said:

wait a min..... so I can't even vote for gremlins this last week? it's  a gi'me? it's like being the LAST dude without a partner at the "dance" but there's still one woman left. you do it so neither ones lonely but you didn't even get a choice.... at least let us hold our dignity and give us the option of "no reveal" and gremlins so we can PICK it.....

But probably "No reveal" would win, because everybody is a troll and is rooting for chaos (remember how hard we all tried to get the vote to end in a tie a few weeks back). Then what do they do?

• Like 3