June 20 - Nellie Cochrane

Lucidicide

I definitely approve. I've been really happy with Nellie, Parker, Titania, and Reva, and a little lukewarm on the others. Starting to move away from considering Reva too, which helps narrow down my options a bit. I wonder what we'll get to see (available?) at GenCon. Now I just really, really, have to finish the models left in my queue before I can justify ordering more.

• Like 2

Where does she keep... her ink well?

She's clearly using a quill to take notes :mellow:

8 hours ago, OneLittleThunder said:

"This model may cheat damage flips made against it..."?

/head a splode

The only thing that could make this sweeter, is if the card cheated in on the opponent's flip, went into their deck.  So you can slowly ditch low cards and make their deck worse :P

Although that is clearly not possible because of you know.. logic.  But it would be hilarious if it worked like that.

2 hours ago, Kadeton said:

She looks so eager and fresh-faced for a cynically evil Guild propagandist. I love the sculpt - between Nellie and the reporters, there might be enough for me to pick up Guild as my next focus Faction (after giving Reva a decent spin, of course).

Why does she have to be evil?

Maybe she truly believes in the cause, or perhaps even, doesn't understand it to the full extent because she's been sucked into a world where she is constantly seeing what she wants to, and none of it is the "cold hard truth".

I mean, I doubt Molly was a ridiculously evil little girl before her incident, or Kirai a blood-thirsty spirit of vengeance.

So why not expect that characters start doe-eyed and blind, even while they're suppose to be the ones reporting the "truth" :P

• Like 1

I think the pose is really awkward. It would have worked better if she had her arms in running motions, she could still have held her notepad and quill. Apart from that the render is nice, but not enough for me to branch into a new faction (in the foreseeable future). Also, you can't trust lefthanded people! :P 

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, Bengt said:

I think the pose is really awkward. It would have worked better if she had her arms in running motions, she could still have held her notepad and quill. Apart from that the render is nice, but not enough for me to branch into a new faction (in the foreseeable future). Also, you can't trust lefthanded people! :P 

Yeah, but you also can't trust the art, because the renders and stuff get flipped all the time, I feel like.  Or at least the art is sometimes mirrored of the actual model, or something like that.

2 hours ago, Tawg said:

Why does she have to be evil?

Everyone who works for the Guild is inherently evil. They believe in and work to support an evil regime. Nobody rises to a position of authority without a clear understanding of the myriad atrocities the Guild commits on a daily basis, especially the person in charge of their media. But... you can maintain whatever headcanon you like. ;)

Personally, I'm think it's great that Nellie breaks from the standard physical allegories of pop culture. People who are young, cheerful and enthusiastic are usually the heroes, but it's often far more entertaining to have someone like that as the villain.

2 hours ago, Tawg said:

I mean, I doubt Molly was a ridiculously evil little girl before her incident, or Kirai a blood-thirsty spirit of vengeance.

Molly and Kirai are Malifaux's true vigilante heroes. How dare you call them evil!

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Kadeton said:

Everyone who works for the Guild is inherently evil. They believe in and work to support an evil regime. Nobody rises to a position of authority without a clear understanding of the myriad atrocities the Guild commits on a daily basis, especially the person in charge of their media. But... you can maintain whatever headcanon you like. ;)

Personally, I'm think it's great that Nellie breaks from the standard physical allegories of pop culture. People who are young, cheerful and enthusiastic are usually the heroes, but it's often far more entertaining to have someone like that as the villain.

Molly and Kirai are Malifaux's true vigilante heroes. How dare you call them evil!

Listen, just so we understand, the only people who are coming out on top of anything in this game, are the ones working for the Oyabun :ph34r:

But that's interesting you think so, I feel like there are a number of cheerful villains, maybe I'm wrong.  I guess it depends on how far you want to search into the "standard physical allegories of pop culture", perhaps.

I mean if you look at the villains in the X-Men movie where they're all teens (What was that, First Class?), the ones opposite of them aren't cold-cruel evil-doers.  Some of them are rather friendly sorts who simply pick a different mentality.

And in Anime, I feel there is plenty of cheerful sorts.. who would gladly dispatch anyone who happened to be an issue for them.  Although that's bordering on insanity evil // cheerful, perhaps a bit like people may describe the Joker at times? 

For that matter, Harley Quin is a fairly affable villain, in almost all the cases of her, or Deadpool, who can hardly be called an anti-hero, let alone hero.  And there is the greatest villain of our time, who is always playing the role of polite witty playboy super-billionaire, Ironman :P god I hate Ironman.

The point of the story is, what were we talking about?

I'm sure this new Guild chick isn't some heinous villain.  But I guess we'll find out when any stories about her drop (There probably already are some, god knows Wyrd and their crazy hint-dropping).  So uhh, we're taking bets on this, right?  Oh, perfect, the bet can be for 1-crew box of hers, once she's released :P if she isn't a disparaging villain, I win, if she is a misanthrope of the highest degree, you can have her :P

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Tawg said:

But that's interesting you think so, I feel like there are a number of cheerful villains, maybe I'm wrong.  I guess it depends on how far you want to search into the "standard physical allegories of pop culture", perhaps.

I mean if you look at the villains in the X-Men movie where they're all teens (What was that, First Class?), the ones opposite of them aren't cold-cruel evil-doers.  Some of them are rather friendly sorts who simply pick a different mentality.

And in Anime, I feel there is plenty of cheerful sorts.. who would gladly dispatch anyone who happened to be an issue for them.  Although that's bordering on insanity evil // cheerful, perhaps a bit like people may describe the Joker at times? 

For that matter, Harley Quin is a fairly affable villain, in almost all the cases of her, or Deadpool, who can hardly be called an anti-hero, let alone hero.  And there is the greatest villain of our time, who is always playing the role of polite witty playboy super-billionaire, Ironman :P god I hate Ironman.

Some are cheerful, but usually in a threatening way. The main villain in First Class was a creepy old guy hanging out with teens, played by creepy Kevin Bacon (in his mid-fifties) with his creepy, creepy face. Anime (I haven't watched much) often does the thing where the "bad" characters are drawn as "mature" and the "good" characters are more childlike (especially pronounced in women). The Joker is old, lanky and horrifically scarred. It's a strong trope across a range of genres for "bad" people to have their "badness" manifest in a physical way, through deformity, injury, twisted features, threatening appearance or manner, or other forms of "abnormality" from the cultural ideal (including simply not being young - again, especially in women).

The most effective evil people are the ones that nobody suspects! A young, wide-eyed, innocent-looking tomboyish reporter is perfect cover. Look how genuinely happy her smile looks - you'd trust her, right? She's so guileless. Even while she's destroying you, you'll assume someone else must be behind it.

Also, Iron Man's a right bastard and Harley Quinn is essentially an anti-hero these days. :)

I'm sure this new Guild chick isn't some heinous villain.  But I guess we'll find out when any stories about her drop (There probably already are some, god knows Wyrd and their crazy hint-dropping).  So uhh, we're taking bets on this, right?  Oh, perfect, the bet can be for 1-crew box of hers, once she's released :P if she isn't a disparaging villain, I win, if she is a misanthrope of the highest degree, you can have her :P

Uh oh, what do we do if she's portrayed in some kind of... moral grey area? :o

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Kadeton said:

Moderator Note: This is also headcanon.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Kadeton said:

The Guild protects the average citizen from the depredations of the monsters beyond and below the walls of Malifaux, hunts down violent criminals, and provides a system of justice and order. Many of the Masters of the Guild are exemplars of this ideal. Lady Justice isn't evil. She believes the dead should stay dead and that it is her duty to protect the innocent from such violent ends. Perdita is thoughtful, kind, passionate, and challenged the Governor General himself over his bananas plan to create a magically fascist power over all of Malifaux. Sonnia uses her power and knowledge to protect the people from illicit magic, which can give anybody who strolled into the wrong abandoned building the ability to liquefy their neighbor. Hoffman does the same with dangerous machine intelligence. The Guild, as an edifice, may be thoroughly corrupt, and perpetuate the power of the powerful over the weak, but it does a lot of good, and employs a lot of heroes.

• Like 6

20 minutes ago, thebarbalag said:

Sonnia uses her power and knowledge to protect the people from illicit magic, which can give anybody who strolled into the wrong abandoned building the ability to liquefy their neighbor and turns the user into souless remains known as Witchling Stalkers ;)

• Like 1

Aye, I really wouldn't call Sonnia not-evil. LJ maybe (but I don't think we know all that much about her, tbh) and then Perdita and Hoffman might be good people. But then again there's like Colette and then maybe Mah and Ophelia and Ulix who aren't actively evil out of all of Malifaux Masters so that kinda does make the Guild the "good guys" in that they have the highest concentration of quite-possibly-non-evil Masters in their ranks.

The contrast between the edifice of the Guild and the Master-heroes of the Guild is something I quite like about Malifaux. I find it similar on the Neverborn side, where we have people who (at least think they) have a legitimate beef with the human occupiers of (ostensibly) their land, but Pandora is super evil - enjoys causing pain, the Dreamer delights in dismembering people without a care in the world, the Hungering Darkness consumes people's souls for power.

If there is a good guy faction in Malifaux, it's probably the Gremlins, but that may just be because, by and large, they're kind of idiots - lucky, clever idiots, but idiots none the less.

• Like 1